Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Local news outlets' tardy reporting re: the Crumbleys yesterday

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Local news outlets' tardy reporting re: the Crumbleys yesterday

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:18 am

Why is it that CNN was talking about the Crumbleys' fugitive status around 3PM yesterday afternoon (including an interview with Sheriff Bouchard), whereas WXYZ made no mention until its 5PM newscast, and WDIV made no mention until about 15 minutes into its 4PM newscast?

When I tuned by Fox 2, they were airing Judge Judy as normal. No crawl. No nothing, from what I could tell.

In the future, should law enforcement agencies in Michigan consider activating the Emergency Alert System for certain fugitive situations?

Heck, Inside Edition - which airs at 4:30p ET on WDIV and is possibly taped earlier than that - even talked about it!

I was unable to check Newsradio 950 WWJ at the time this was all occurring.

Editorcj

Re: Local news outlets' tardy reporting re: the Crumbleys yesterday

Post by Editorcj » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:48 am

Ch 7 had a live interview with UnderSheriff Mike McCabe at the top of the 4pm Newscast about that and they weren't fugitives until they missed their arraignment which occurred at 4pm when they failed to appear in district court.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:36 am

Hard "NO" on the EAS question. That system is abused already and because of that, more useless than it could be.

WXYZ was running a crawl this morning for "BREAKING NEWS" that a "fourth child, Justin Schilling" had died. Didn't that happen THREE days ago??

Meanwhile, FOX2 was interviewing the Marshalls about the arrest of the parents... Now THAT is "breaking news"!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:27 am

WXYZ was running a crawl this morning for "BREAKING NEWS" that a "fourth child, Justin Schilling" had died. Didn't that happen THREE days ago??
Very sloppy on WXYZ's part.

Have to admit, I missed the interview with Mr. McCabe. Nonetheless, when CNN was on the story like flies on shit, channel 7 turned its attention to other matters for what had to have been at least thirty full minutes if not more.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:32 am

CNN has video of this morning's arrest; why haven't I seen this on 4 or 7 yet? (I've not watched Fox 2 this morning.)

Silvio Dante

Post by Silvio Dante » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:50 am

I've noticed the Washington Post has better coverage than the Free Press and News on the breaking news in this case too. I think the hedge fund and corporate owned news rooms in town have been decimated by staff cuts and it really shows when there is a big news event like this.

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:12 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:18 am

In the future, should law enforcement agencies in Michigan consider activating the Emergency Alert System for certain fugitive situations?
Good grief, no on the EAS activation. Two dipshits with a proven history of making bad decisions making even bigger mistakes while paying for legal counsel is hardly an emergency. Once that cat is out of the bag, the FoP will be using it to solicit donations.

The dissemination of the BOLO seemed to be spot on as is, their car was spotted and reported by someone in Detroit. Zero need to expand this.

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:22 am

Silvio Dante wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:50 am
I've noticed the Washington Post has better coverage than the Free Press and News on the breaking news in this case too. I think the hedge fund and corporate owned news rooms in town have been decimated by staff cuts and it really shows when there is a big news event like this.
Definitely. The Detroit News is owned by the same outfit that owns my local rag and they are identical. Absolutely the least amount of effort in making a product, maximum effort at wringing cash out of subscriptions and property. The local rag doesn't even publish more than a Sunday paper any longer as they sold off all the presses, warehouses, trucks, offices and anything worth a shekel. They pay three reporters and a photographer to basically cover high school football, parades and anniversary parties. It is essentially a freaking blog and a three page Sunday paper that is stuffed with coupons and crap for $25 per month. No thank you!

TV news seems to be heading in that direction with the owners copying the private equity playbook.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:51 am

Agree to disagree on use of EAS. They use it for Amber Alerts, (which you CAN opt out of on your POS cellphone), but no reason radio can't run BOLO for 2 fugitives in the region affected (Wayne Oakland, McComb) (yeah, I know WOMC) and put it on the highsign signboards where they list missing persons?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic