Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Oxford High School shooting

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Mega Hertz

Re: Oxford High School shooting

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:01 pm

Rate This is on the right track. I've always wanted just a small piece for home protection. My fiancé will hear nothing of it, ironically, because of kids in the house. I see absolutely nothing wrong with proper protection. If someone breaks in, I argue, what are we gonna do...discuss their childhood and feelings? But the other problem she sees is just how much security I would need for it. Stashed away. Codes. Safes. Unloaded. By the time I could access it, load it and aim, we would probably be dead. So a softball bat has to do for now 🙄

That said, it IS a very sick culture we live in. Everyone has to be the baddest badass to ever badass in the history of badassing. It's the guy that walks around Subway with 4 or 5 guns on his ass.

My favorite example of this is one of my uncles. That side of the family is quite... We'll say "dysfunctional". While at his house a mere couple of years ago, his brother was mentioned by someone. Next thing I know, he comes marching down the hallway with a sawed off Mossberg, yelling "If I see my brother, if anyone mentions him...", and that was my cue to get the fuck out. One wrong move and one of us dies. So, throw "Chicago" out all you want. A responsible gun owner would NOT have done that. It's when the unbalanced get their hands on weapons is when we have a problem. But 2nd amendment virtue signalling is what pushes us here. It's not enough to exercise your 2nd amendment rights, no, you gotta have the bumper stickers and the posters and the flags and the shirts and the memes. They made a LIFESTYLE out of this.

It's the same difference between someone that enjoys a glass of wine after work and someone who gets shitfaced obliterated at 8am. It just gets taken too far. And then we wind up here. The question is "Who is next?".

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:49 pm

Circle Seven wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:16 pm
I can personally attest that the screening at Detroit Metro has room for improvement........I had missed removing a knife with a 5" blade that was stuck in an inside pocket of the bag. So did the bag screener at Metro.
I get it that the metal detection screening process isn't perfect. How many of our schools in southeastern Michigan went ahead with earlier recommendations to place 1 or 2 retired policemen in their schools? I don't know the answer to this but I would guess less than half.

Is the school district responsible for the safety of the students from the time school starts till the end of classes for that day? I don't know the answer to that either. If they are (and I said if) and I was the principal I would want the tightest security I could devise in order to avoid legal consequences.

If one individual plans an assault in a given school once in 10 years and a detector catches his or her weapon might the parents of the students breath a lot easier. If any individual plans an assault and knows that he or she is going to have to walk through a detector regardless of which school entrance is chosen might that be a deterrent which presents too high a risk to proceed with the assault.

I don't claim to have all the answers. I am just sharing my thoughts regarding the subject that I believe are worth a try.

Here is a short video that shows the various kinds of metal objects detected at the airport in Jacksonville, Florida:

Courtesy: YouTube
Weapons Found At TSA Checkpoints

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1XmGH5TE3g

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:32 am

SixPlusOne wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:50 pm
craig11152 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:35 am
I think a solution is a law requiring a gun owner to be directly responsible for his gun and anything bad that happens with that gun in the hands of a minor.
Violators of the law don't care about any laws on the books. Their goal has already been demonstrated many times. You can draft all the restrictive laws you can think of for Michigan and the law breaker can just find some other avenue to obtain the weapon they want. Chicago has some of the strictest guns laws in the nation and has some of the highest crime rates in the nation.

We walk through devices at the airport and we can put them in the school. You and I may not like that idea but I have seen hundreds of weapons of all types in boxes that have been acquired with this process at the airports. I have heard parents state that they feel that it would be tragic to have these detectors in the schools. Which is more tragic to the parents -- to bury their kids or have detectors in the schools.
Your response has nothing to do with the context of my post. Was that intentional or out of failure to read and comprehend?
And why are you obsessed with that blue font?

I no longer directly engage trolls

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:13 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:32 am
SixPlusOne wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:50 pm
craig11152 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:35 am
I think a solution is a law requiring a gun owner to be directly responsible for his gun and anything bad that happens with that gun in the hands of a minor.
Violators of the law don't care about any laws on the books. Their goal has already been demonstrated many times. You can draft all the restrictive laws you can think of for Michigan and the law breaker can just find some other avenue to obtain the weapon they want. Chicago has some of the strictest guns laws in the nation and has some of the highest crime rates in the nation.

We walk through devices at the airport and we can put them in the school. You and I may not like that idea but I have seen hundreds of weapons of all types in boxes that have been acquired with this process at the airports. I have heard parents state that they feel that it would be tragic to have these detectors in the schools. Which is more tragic to the parents -- to bury their kids or have detectors in the schools.
Your response has nothing to do with the context of my post.
You are suggesting in your text that "a law requiring a gun owner to be directly responsible for his gun and anything bad that happens with that gun.........." I understand your concern completely that you want to tie irresponsible action of the use of a gun to the owner of said gun. I get that. While that may be a good idea for a law which I am not questioning the killer will act with or without the existing laws or another new law. We are both talking about laws but in addition to that I am stating that an existing law or a additional law doesn't detect the presence of a potential weapon in the hallways of a school while a detector might and also might save a life. I applaud your serious concerns and input on this subject Craig. Have a great weekend.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic