Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Oxford High School shooting

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
matt1

Re: Oxford High School shooting

Post by matt1 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:47 pm

His parents are to blame!!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:31 pm

Sorry, but I'm skeptical of Bouchard's excuse.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:36 pm

The school, incredibly, never contacted the police following discovery of the horrendous drawings.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:21 pm

Jesus Christ. This whole situation stinks to high heaven. I can't believe the shit I'm reading. Just when you think shit can't go any lower, it does. Un-fucking-belivable.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:49 pm

Now, there are reports of a school threat in Lake Orion.

I would be weary of sending my kids to public schools.

Interestingly, these horrific school violence incidents tend to occur in (usually low crime) suburban communities. I cannot recall hearing of any such incidents in traditionally high crime locales.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:40 pm

Couldn’t agree more. When was the last time you heard about a school shooting at a faith-based school?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:44 am

Now the parents are on the run, vehicle located in Detroit and a search is underway.

sfpcc1

Post by sfpcc1 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:36 am

Rate This wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:44 am
Now the parents are on the run, vehicle located in Detroit and a search is underway.
They are now in custody. (I'm glad I don't have kids.)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:50 am

The involuntary manslaughter charges against the parents may be difficult to prove at trial. Legal experts say such charges in situations such as this one are quite rare.

Prosecution will need to show that there were clear warning signs as to the child's state of mind, prior to the day of the shooting, that the parents willfully ignored when allowing him access to the firearm.

Alternatively, prosecution will need to show that the parents already knew the gun was missing when the meeting with school officials occurred.

It does appear the father searched the home immediately after learning of the shooting from local media, discovered the gun was missing, and called police.

It is legal in Michigan for minors to possess and use firearms for legal purposes under the supervision of an adult. Additionally, there is no statute requiring firearms in the home to be stored under lock & key, or to have a trigger guard, or to be stored in a safe. Frankly, I would not be in support of such a law, since one reason for having guns in the home is for personal protection. If someone breaks into the home, having a gun in a safe or lockbox in a different room doesn't do much good.

It would not surprise me if a plea bargain is offered to the parents.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:03 am

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 865574002/

Kudos to the building owner who called the cops upon spotting the Crumbleys!

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:53 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:50 am
The involuntary manslaughter charges against the parents may be difficult to prove at trial. Legal experts say such charges in situations such as this one are quite rare.

Prosecution will need to show that there were clear warning signs as to the child's state of mind, prior to the day of the shooting, that the parents willfully ignored when allowing him access to the firearm.

Alternatively, prosecution will need to show that the parents already knew the gun was missing when the meeting with school officials occurred.

It does appear the father searched the home immediately after learning of the shooting from local media, discovered the gun was missing, and called police.

It is legal in Michigan for minors to possess and use firearms for legal purposes under the supervision of an adult. Additionally, there is no statute requiring firearms in the home to be stored under lock & key, or to have a trigger guard, or to be stored in a safe. Frankly, I would not be in support of such a law, since one reason for having guns in the home is for personal protection. If someone breaks into the home, having a gun in a safe or lockbox in a different room doesn't do much good.

It would not surprise me if a plea bargain is offered to the parents.
As you mention, it sounds like he didn't check for the gun until AFTER he heard about the shooting. Both parents were called into the school to discuss the "concerning" picture earlier in the day, which depicted a similar gun being used. They KNEW they had bought HIM a gun and should have checked THEN to see if he had it. At the very least, they should have checked IMMEDIATELY upon arriving back at home.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:55 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:03 am
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 865574002/

Kudos to the building owner who called the cops upon spotting the Crumbleys!
I really don't think it was the building owner. I suspect it was an automated license plate reader that found the car, and then they probably called the building owner to get access to the building. Who is wandering around their building in Detroit around midnight?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:18 am

Good points in each of your last two posts, km1125.

In regard to your second post, here is what the Free Press reported:
The investigation of the shootings and the search for the Crumbleys was led by the Oakland County Sheriff's Office. McCabe previously said the vehicle was found around 11:30 p.m. Friday.

“The owner of the building arrived and saw the car in the back parking lot, knew it didn’t belong there, went to investigate,” McCabe told the Free Press.

The building’s owner immediately recognized the car from information put out by law enforcement, checked the license plate, which matched, and called 911.
There is no indication police were on the scene prior to the building owner placing the call to 911.

It is unclear why he went to his property so late on a Friday; perhaps he runs his business out of that same building (which is multi-tenant in nature) and went there to get caught up on some work.

It appears one of the tenants allowed the Crumbleys inside their suite. Did that tenant then contact the property owner, for whatever reason? Tough to say.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:35 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:50 am
Additionally, there is no statute requiring firearms in the home to be stored under lock & key, or to have a trigger guard, or to be stored in a safe. Frankly, I would not be in support of such a law, since one reason for having guns in the home is for personal protection. If someone breaks into the home, having a gun in a safe or lockbox in a different room doesn't do much good.
I think a solution is a law requiring a gun owner to be directly responsible for his gun and anything bad that happens with that gun in the hands of a minor. In other words it doesn't have to be locked up, unloaded or otherwise lacking quick access. It just has to be under direct control, on ones person.
I keep my gun in a locked box by my bed. It has fingerprint access and I practice that access in the dark several times a month. Should I feel the need to have that gun handy when not in bed the solution is some sort of holster so its on my person.

A sidebar: I shoot pistols left handed and when I acquired my gun from my daughter 2 holsters were right handed only. :(
Last edited by craig11152 on Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:36 am

Rick Grenon wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:29 pm
Ed Klee wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:17 am
It is a horrible event, innocent people killed a community hurting, however like everything else the media in Detroit is running it into the ground.
I totally agree.
I watched Channel 7 at 6 a.m. this morning. The tone and content of the reporting was very professional. Then they went to commercials. The first thing was a melodramatic montage of Channel 7's reporting of the story that was very lurid and tasteless. I turned the channel.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic