Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit Radio Ratings for October

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Toledo Radio Died

Re: Detroit Radio Ratings for October

Post by Toledo Radio Died » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:21 pm

Silvio Dante wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:25 am
Has anyone else noticed how low Channel 95.5 has fallen, with no competition in the format you would think they would be killing it. You have to wonder if it is a case of young people not listening to terrestrial radio?
We also don’t know how 93.9 Virgin Radio is performing in the ratings on this side of the river. I’m willing to bet 93.9 is stealing some numbers from 95.5 also. 95.5 has been sounding better recently but 93.9 is still the preferred choice.

Deleted User 15688

Post by Deleted User 15688 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:44 pm

Toledo Radio Died wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:21 pm
Silvio Dante wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:25 am
Has anyone else noticed how low Channel 95.5 has fallen, with no competition in the format you would think they would be killing it. You have to wonder if it is a case of young people not listening to terrestrial radio?
We also don’t know how 93.9 Virgin Radio is performing in the ratings on this side of the river. I’m willing to bet 93.9 is stealing some numbers from 95.5 also. 95.5 has been sounding better recently but 93.9 is still the preferred choice.
You raise a good point, 93.9 could be a factor. Don’t forget how well 96.3 is doing, they are probably taking some of 95.5’s numbers as well.

Toledo Radio Died

Post by Toledo Radio Died » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:55 am

Right! Rick, if I’m not mistaking these are the best numbers WDVD has seen in a while.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:21 am

Agreed that 95.5 is losing some minor share to WDVD. Don't underestimate 105.1 The Bounce, either! That station plays many of the hits 95.5 was spinning in power rotation 15 years ago.

If ratings were published for 93.9, I suspect it'd be somewhere between a 0.5 and 1.0 share. Whatever meager ratings 93.9 pulls - at least to some extent - comes at 95.5's expense.

On a personal level, I do not find 96.3 to be a compelling listen at all. I'm surprised that station is performing as well as it is right now.
Effects are much more significant in some other parts of the country, but I don't doubt that this has had some minor impact, too.

The teen and young adult exodus from radio has also hurt CHR/rhythmic and hip-hop stations big time in some markets. V103 and Hot 107.9 in Atlanta have each lost about 50% to 60% of their AQH share from peak, and stations such as WGCI in Chicago, K104 in Dallas, and Power 96 in Miami are nowhere nearly as strong as they once were.

Frankly, the stations in Detroit have weathered the storm better than similarly formatted stations in certain other PPM markets.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:30 pm

We're missing the elephant in the room...the music is terrible. I can remember a time when adults frequented CHR stations; not so much anymore. For fun, I sampled WJLB last night, and had Dr. Darius not opened the mic between songs, I would have thought it was the same song.

I miss older CHR/Top 40 formats, where songs had to crossover. Sure, there has always been tailor-made pop product, no doubt. But there is nothing alternating between one cut and the next. The only ones that stand out to me are the ones that are too big to ignore.

I'm not picking on CHR, either. I was a major fan of WDRQ back when. Active Rock, Country and Urban Contemporary formats also have this problem...to my ears, anyway. I reserve the right to be wrong. I think, to me, it's all in the production.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:00 pm

That's literally how I recently explained current top 40 radio to someone.
"It just sounds like the same song over and over"

Music is my life.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic