Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Pistons writers are blowing smoke up everyone's ass

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Pistons writers are blowing smoke up everyone's ass

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:42 am

The team is off to an ABYSMAL start, yet the sports writers in town are writing far more positive articles than negative ones.

One cannot help but wonder if some of these writers are accepting money or gifts under the table...

Happened when Joe Dumars was GM. Wouldn't surprise me if it is happening today.

By the way, Dwayne Casey is a mediocre coach, his favorable reputation is largely unearned, and he needs to be fired at the end of this season if the Pistons fail to contend for a playoff spot. Toronto dumped his ass for a reason...

I almost made this post in the Stadium forum, but decided instead to post here because my primary focus is the undeserved favorable bias the team is receiving in our local print media. Shawn Windsor in particular is dishing out the cornbread.

So, I ponder: do we have crooked sports writers in this town?

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

sirrealone

Re: Pistons writers are blowing smoke up everyone's ass

Post by sirrealone » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:47 am

It's almost like this is a team of young guys who are building blocks to the future, and the writers are taking the angle of trying to get fans excited about them. The same fans that in three years, if all goes according to plan, will be packing the arena and watching them on TV.

SoutheastMIViewer

Post by SoutheastMIViewer » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:48 am

To answer your question about “do we have crooked sports writers in this town?”

Yes we do as we hear it on 97.1 the ticket with the morning show always sticking up for Lions and the Fords for the last 10 years. Mike valenti is the only sports analyst that tells it how it is and is truthful.

I see wxyz facebook posts always putting up hype on the pistons. I get it, the new young guy is here but he has not really played any meaningful minutes due to injury but like you say the media is talking about the pistons being 7-1 instead of there actual record 1-7.

If you don’t have a mask covering your exhaust pipe on the car, you are not trying to stop global warming by preventing the harmful emission particles from spraying out!

jsf

Post by jsf » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:16 am

Same can be said of the Tigers who didn't have a starting pitcher with a winning record but to the media they were a great staff.

BillT

Post by BillT » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:42 am

It's always been that way. Local writers are worried about retaliation, losing interview access if the don't brown-nose players.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:30 pm

Real journalists wouldn't worry about that. Are sports writers or reporters supposed to be real journalists or just local cheerleaders? If they're just local cheerleaders, should you trust any analysis they provide?

If they were real journalists, perhaps they would report accurately. And perhaps they would be shutout by some of the teams. That would/should also result in less exposure for the team and perhaps actually cause a drop in attendance which is what SHOULD happen to poor teams. THEN maybe the teams would take real interest in trying to stay competitive in the leagues.

BillT

Post by BillT » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:33 pm

Obviously they're cheerleaders.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:27 pm

The media took a shit on my lawn!!!

Anyway, wtf else are they gonna write at this point? "Hey, sports fans! The Pistons are heading into their 13th straight season of mediocrity. Enjoy the nachos!"

People (well, a few of them anyway) aren't stupid. The boogeyman -- erm, "media" could write that Jesus Christ Himself was the starting guard. Doesn't make the product any good. Maybe take a closer look at ownership for putting a shitty product out season after season. Demand better from them. But so long as paychecks clear and there's a few fans in the stands, status quo it is.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:37 pm

The Detroit "Swamp" Media has been this way with Michigan for the last 50 years.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:07 am

4’s App just now… “Mel Tucker doesn’t anticipate a let down this week”…

Would he ever say he was anticipating a letdown? Why would someone even anticipate a letdown? I’m confused.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:37 am

:rollin

Such great reporting asking a question that there is only one answer to.

Has any coach anywhere ever answered, "Yeah that was really a nice win for the program. I fully anticipate that this coming week our players and coaches will overlook this opponent and come out and lay an egg."

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic