Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit Radio Ratings for September

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Greg Buben

Detroit Radio Ratings for September

Post by Greg Buben » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:01 pm

The September ratings for the general 12 and over population of The Detroit area have come out. WOMC-FM 104.3 is now
the new number one with a 7.4% share. WCSX the classic rocker that was previously number one overall is now number
two maintaining a 7.2% share. WCSX still beats its classic rock competitor WLLZ with only a 2.9% share. I think WOMC
should have a classic hits competitor just like WCSX has a classic rock competitor. I wonder if any of the other companies
would flip one of their lower ranked stations to classic hits and compete with WOMC. I believe advertisers would go for
a format like that because of the mainstream appeal among both men and women and over 35.

Mega Hertz

Re: Detroit Radio Ratings for September

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:06 pm

Agreed. There is definitely NOT enough 80s exposure in this town. Someone needs to take a chance with 80s hits. And it needs to be just enough to shave a share or two from the top dog. I want ZERO local presence. I assume SOMEONE has the balls to take this on.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:20 pm

Greg Buben wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:01 pm
The September ratings for the general 12 and over population of The Detroit area have come out. WOMC-FM 104.3 is now
the new number one with a 7.4% share. WCSX the classic rocker that was previously number one overall is now number
two maintaining a 7.2% share.
Yawn. That difference could boil down to one different type of person that was assigned a meter.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Greg Buben

Post by Greg Buben » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:12 am

Here are the top five stations in the September Nielsen Ratings for Detroit:

1. WOMC-FM 104.3 Classic Hits 7.4% Audacy
2. WCSX-FM 94.7 Classic Rock 7.2% Beasley
3. WMXD-FM 92.3 Urban A/C 6.7% I-Heart
4. WWJ-AM 950 All News 5.5% Audacy
5. WXYT-FM 97.1 All Sports 5.5% Audacy (Better known as "The Ticket" )

Three out of the top 5 are owned by Audacy. Perhaps Audacy can flip their bottom feeder WDZH-FM 98.7 to something
else. I have some ideas for a format flip that they do for WDZH, WDZH only had a 1.7% share.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:11 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:06 pm
Agreed. There is definitely NOT enough 80s exposure in this town. Someone needs to take a chance with 80s hits. And it needs to be just enough to shave a share or two from the top dog. I want ZERO local presence. I assume SOMEONE has the balls to take this on.
Precisely. And no depth in the playlist, please. We need to hear "Tainted Love" every 45 minutes. God knows "Girls Just Want to Have Fun," "Money for Nothing," "Jessie's Girl" and "Take It on the Run" JUST don't get ENOUGH airplay in this market! And no Madonna, Whitney or Janet, because rock was the ONLY music that mattered in the '80s.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:16 pm

Womc plays enough 80s for everyone in the country 🙄

Music is my life.

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:27 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:06 pm
Spot on! More 80s. More voice-tracking. It’s a true radio experience when a recorded voice cuts off mid sentence. We need to hear ‘Summer of ‘69’ and ‘Don’t Stop Believing’ more! Also, someone needs to have a morning show with more fake callers. “Deal Breakers” rules!
:rollin

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:40 pm

You guys are really on a roll here. I'm so glad that you are on the same wavelength with me. To see my dream come to fruition would be the greatest day of my life.

Although, since I feel they've been left out in the cold, I truly believe AC/DC needs a chance on this format. I mean, who even touches Back In Black? It's a God damn travesty. Come on, corporate suit radio! 80s hits! 80s hits! Canned voice tracks! Ads for FanDuel and Tonya LaLonde every stopset! You can do it!

-TurkeyTop

48125er

Post by 48125er » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:45 pm

We havent heard the same 5 songs by aerosmith ENOUGH or the same 2 songs by ZZ TOP WE NEED MORE ads for fertility places too

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:05 pm

48125er wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:45 pm
We havent heard the same 5 songs by aerosmith ENOUGH or the same 2 songs by ZZ TOP WE NEED MORE ads for fertility places too
We could all use to stop cryin and live on the edge. I want more ads for places that could make me a sharp dressed man that gets a beautiful girl with nice legs.

Greg Buben

Post by Greg Buben » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:10 am

I need to make one correction when talking about the bottom feeder of Audacy WDZH-FM 98.7 on the dial. I said that
in the Nielsen ratings that they had a 1.7% share but instead they have a 1.8% share. I wonder how a company like Audacy
with three very successful stations (WOMC, WWJ, and The Ticket) could have such a loser of a station as WDZH. I know
it was about a year ago around Halloween when WDZH flipped to Christmas music early and in response to the change
at CIMX in Windsor,ON, Canada they flipped to "modern alternative rock". That wasn't a wise move for two reasons:
1. The Windsor stations don't count in the Detroit books like they did in the olden days when CKLW was the "Big 8" that
cranked out the hits.
2. "Modern Alternative Rock" is a niche format.
I think WDZH could just go all Modern Rock from the 1990's to now and shouldn't care if some modern rock music is
considered "alternative" or not.
There are other ideas I have that WDZH could flip to but to me the most logical change with the least amount of change
would to "modern rock" from the 90's to now instead of their current "modern alternative rock" from the 90's to now.
Perhaps they could include some new local rock in the mix so that Detroit area bands could get exposure.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:40 pm

Well, Audacy just flipped their chronically low-rated Alt in San Francisco to Variety Hits “Dave FM”. Could Alt 98.7 be too far behind?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:06 pm

They won't do Variety Hits here. That would step on WOMC's toes a little too much.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:02 pm

I mean, if they wanted to they could make it very rock-leaning, like their Jacks in DFW, MSP, and LA (which all do very well) so I think it could work.

But in the end I have to agree, I don't see Audacy doing that here. They could just push 104.3's playlist in that direction if they wanted to.

take this job and shove it

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:21 pm

Not that they care (they just want it in so many of the top however markets in the country), but what could they throw out that would be better than LazLowRatings and the 1.8 share?

A few formats that would:

-Tiny Tim on a 24 hour loop

-Green Day's first 4 albums played backwards

-Bryce reading a Frosted Flakes box

-Bob Seger straining to push out a turd (and I mean an actual poop, not a new album)

-80s KFC commercials

-That computer countdown 99.5 did back in '92

-G G reading from the book of Revelations

I mean, most of those could account for at LEAST a 2 share. The Bob Seger one could easily give CSX a run for its money.

-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic