Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit Classic Rock Radio

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Greg Buben

Detroit Classic Rock Radio

Post by Greg Buben » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:06 am

From those who responded to my impression on the sampling I have done on both WCSX and WLLZ it is confirmed to me,
What is confirmed to me is that WCSX is a mainstream classic rock station and that WLLZ has a harder edge by playing
more classic hard rock and heavy metal. I do think that if WLLZ would stop calling themselves "classic rock" that would
help their cause. WLLZ should instead brand themselves as "Classic Hard Rock" and should not play anyone too pop
that WCSX would play such as Journey. Some of the locals that should be played would include Ted Nugent , The MC5,
and Alice Cooper. Other artists that could be and should be emphasized on should include classic hard rockers such
as Kiss, Aerosmith, Van Halen, and yes the classic metal of Judas Priest, AC/DC, and Metalica. Perhaps they could have
a weekend heavy metal show that may also include Iron Maiden. They may as well call themselves "Classic Hard Rock"
because if they try to brand themselves as just another "classic rock" station WCSX will beat them everytime.

Robert Faygo

Re: Detroit Classic Rock Radio

Post by Robert Faygo » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:17 am

94.7% of radio listeners that don't use radio/tv message boards could not care less about what a station calls itself.

106.7% of radio listeners only care about the music they are hearing.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:05 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:17 am
94.7% of radio listeners that don't use radio/tv message boards could not care less about what a station calls itself.

:rollin

Perfectly said.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:55 pm

Plate Cap wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:05 pm
Robert Faygo wrote:

Perfectly said.
Exactly my point of view.

Those people who have been in radio since 'ABX was still in Detroit just can't let go of it.
Can't let go that folks don't care about the constant blah-blah from an "on air personality".

You can tell the folks that are still stuck in the 80's on this board. There's the one saying you need to build a "repertoire and relationship" with the audience. There the ones rattling off names of people that should come out of retirement because a station changed formats and there isn't an on-air staff yet.

Today I heard a guy that has been on the air for over 40 years talk past the post on WOMC. Honest.
About 2 words into the song because he has to get one more word in because he is so in love with the sound of his own voice. And thinks everyone else is too.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:17 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:55 pm
Plate Cap wrote:
Robert Faygo wrote:

Perfectly said.

Those people who have been in radio since 'ABX was still in Detroit just can't let go of it.
Can't let go that folks don't care about the constant blah-blah from an "on air personality".

You can tell the folks that are still stuck in the 80's on this board. There's the one saying you need to build a "repertoire and relationship" with the audience. There the ones rattling off names of people that should come out of retirement because a station changed formats and there isn't an on-air staff yet.

Today I heard a guy that has been on the air for over 40 years talk past the post on WOMC. Honest.
About 2 words into the song because he has to get one more word in because he is so in love with the sound of his own voice. And thinks everyone else is too.
How many guesses do we get on who it was? 🤣

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:24 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:17 pm
Mike Oxlong wrote:
Plate Cap wrote:
Robert Faygo wrote:

Perfectly said.

Steve "The Kid" Kostan?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:41 am

lidoshuffle wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:24 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:17 pm
Mike Oxlong wrote:
Plate Cap wrote:
Robert Faygo wrote:

Perfectly said.

Steve "The Kid" Kostan?
Considering that post was just before 1:00pm, and there's only one guy on the air before then who has been on the air here for 40 years here...it kinda narrows it down to JJ lol

-TurkeyTop

Greg Buben

Post by Greg Buben » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:18 am

None of the replies to this post have satisfied me. I still believe that if WLLZ wanted to be more successful they should
promote themselves as classic hard rock and just concentrate on the harder side of classic rock. They should just leave
the music that is too pop classic rock such as Journey or some of the overplayed hits to WCSX. Detroit has a tradition
for harder rock with Ted Nugent, Alice Cooper, and The MC 5. I believe this that WLLZ could be a successful station if they
focused on what WCSX isn't playing that much of. Also they could compete against the active rock station WRIF by taking
away or atleast sharing their audiance. Active Rock stations like WRIF mix in classic rock that still has significance today.
Whoever thinks that nobody cares what a station calls themselves I have to disagree. If WLLZ called themselves classic
hard rock then people would expect classic hard rock and classic heavy metal . Those people wouldn't have to hear such
classic pop rock as Journey or such overplayed classics as "Take The Money and Run" by The Steve Miller Band, "Babe" by
Styx, "Hollywood Nights" by Bob Seger, or "Taking Care Of Business" by BTO.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:42 am

Greg Buben wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:18 am
None of the replies to this post have satisfied me.

Ask stupid questions, get stupid answers?

Also, white space is your friend.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Greg Buben

Post by Greg Buben » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:18 am

To my point on the last post of WLLZ branding themselves as "classic hard rock" and eliminating overplayed classic pop hits
that would position WLLZ between two Beasley stations musically. Beasley owns the successful classic rock station WCSX
and the active rock station WRIF. Again the active rock stations such as WRIF play some classic rock and only the artists
that still have significance today. If I-Heart took my advice they could share an audiance with both and take away some
listeners from both Beasley stations in Detroit. My guess is that I-Heart wouldn't consider the uniqueness of Detroit and
would rather have some consultant from a far away city decide the fate of WLLZ and the others in Detroit.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:07 pm

Greg Buben wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:18 am
None of the replies to this post have satisfied me.
Try something for me. I surmise you're in Grand Rapids.
Reach out to some friends and family that are not in the industry. Ask them which stations they listen to.
Then ask them to tell you the "slogan" for the station. Or ask them to describe the music.
Will they tell you what the format of the station is? Rock, Classic Rock, Alternative, Urban, CHR, etc.
The type of labels that those in the industry put on radio.

Or will they shrug their shoulders and say "I dunno, I just like the music"?

Greg Buben

Post by Greg Buben » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:37 am

To some extent the last post is correct that non radio people don't know all of the radio terminology but again I do think
WLLZ could promote themselves as "Classic Hard Rock" since they already have a harder image than their competition
at WCSX. I do think especially in the Detroit area the average person would relate to "Classic Hard Rock" with somewhat
of an idea of what the music is. Don't forget Detroit is known for Ted Nugent, Alice Cooper, The MC5, and Iggy Pop.
I still say that WLLZ should drop the overplayed pop hits that top 40 stations played in their day such as "Babe" by
Styx, "Take The Money and Run" by The Steve Miller Band, "Taking Care of Business" by BTO and other such songs.
They should let their competition WCSX and the classic hits station WOMC play those while WLLZ should play harder
songs that were AOR hits of the late 60's through the 80's. Another point to repeat is that Beasley owns the successful
classic rock station WCSX and the active rock station that includes the classic rock that still is relevant today. This
would be a good idea to position WLLZ somewhere between the two Beasley stations.
t

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:55 pm

Last night, around 11:15, WLLZ was playing "Hotel California" :x Nothing wrong with the song, but even 30 years ago, in Orlando, I would not have had that in "lunar rotation" as we used to say. It certainly doesn't belong there in 2021.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:50 pm

Too much of the stuff played by WLLZ doesn't qualify as "Classic Hard Rock."

The old 102.7 The Bear many years ago positioned itself as "Classic Rock that REALLY Rocks." For the most part, their ratings stunk.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:33 pm

This conversation is making my fucking brain hurt.

-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic