Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
SBaxley

Re: Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Post by SBaxley » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:15 pm

I hope in someway they do allow a return of 10pm MADE IN DETROIT cw50 ten pm news [produced by CBSN DETROIT of course]

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:46 pm

Would've been a great idea when WXYZ's 10PM newscast on WMYD was still loaded with gimmicky trash (remember the awful split screen during the first block of the newscast?).

Undoubtedly, WKBD will use entirely or mostly local talent once the 62 news operation is up and running.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:36 pm

Saw a new face on 62 doing the weather last night. Forgot her name but just wondering if she was part of the new cohort?

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:38 am

What are the odds that one or all three of Stephen Clark, Frank Turner or Guy Gordon end up anchoring one of the newscasts?

drew10219

Post by drew10219 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:09 am

MrTaterSalad wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:38 am
What are the odds that one or all three of Stephen Clark, Frank Turner or Guy Gordon end up anchoring one of the newscasts?
Frank Turner would be the only one. Clark is done and walked away from WOMC, I would think he could work anywhere if he wanted to but is likely done with the business entirely. Guy Gordon wouldn't be a smart move since he can't even draw an audience on WJR.

Honestly I would be shocked if any of the 3 show up there.

Luke

Post by Luke » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:51 pm

drew10219 wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:09 am
MrTaterSalad wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:38 am
Frank Turner would be the only one. Clark is done and walked away from WOMC, I would think he could work anywhere if he wanted to but is likely done with the business entirely. Guy Gordon wouldn't be a smart move since he can't even draw an audience on WJR.

Honestly I would be shocked if any of the 3 show up there.
I was shocked when Frank Turner showed up at WNEM, so anything is possible.

senpaisai

Post by senpaisai » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:58 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:21 am
LOL! I didn't mean to suggest those would all be good hires. :)

Also keep an eye open for Tom Jordan, who did TV in San Diego for a number of years.

I think 62 launching a local TV news operation is a bad idea. I've held that viewpoint for years and still feel that way today.
I think CBS is looking for streaming to make this a success moreso than OTA viewership. Just look at all of the CBSN channels on PlutoTV. If you only have say Xfinity internet and no OTA antenna (or can't pick up a signal), having CBSN Detroit is your best bet for local news. It could also eat into Newsy ...

senpaisai

Post by senpaisai » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:46 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:40 am
I agree completely with Rick here.

News conscious viewers usually turn to established sources they trust during important news cycles, not a fledgling upstart.
Actually, trust in establishment news is at a record low. There's more people watching "a jagoff pothead comedian in his garage" report the news every night that the establishment is threatened enough to make YouTube actively bury him (and other independent media) through algorithms and removing the down vote counter. These moves have even infuriated the likes of Paul's Hardware, Gamers Nexus, and Linus Media Group who have been a staple of YouTube for a long time.

So, if you're one of these establishment media groups that are constantly in last place while seeing your colleagues get soooo much wrong -- RussiaGate, the OPCW cover up in Syria, COVID-19, mask mandates, vaccine mandates, Joe Rogan, Joe Biden, TheSquad -- you could either cultivate some jagoff pothead comedians of your own or try to cobble together a Vice-like investigative operation with enough of a maverick gonzo journalism bent to make a splash and keep eyeballs while your competition is reeling.

CBS won't pull this off, but they'll soak a lot of green into the illusion ... and as Howard Beale said, "We deal in illusions, man! None of it's true!" CBS could very well fake it till they make it. Could be a dumpster fire. Could be a nice lulling hologram. If they can't manage to inform me anymore than I already am, I don't mind watching CBS slam two Detroit buses into a chicken truck ... 🤩

SBaxley

Post by SBaxley » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:10 pm

And again, if they do it the way WCBS does it for WLNY 55/10, it won't be long until we see CBS NEWS DETROIT AT 10 on CW50, and I'll stretch my neck out and say coming soon, CBS will bring back news for their stations in Atlanta and Tampa Bay as well [not done in NY and Miami respectfully]

MichiganEx-Pat

Post by MichiganEx-Pat » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:55 pm

SBaxley wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:10 pm
And again, if they do it the way WCBS does it for WLNY 55/10, it won't be long until we see CBS NEWS DETROIT AT 10 on CW50, and I'll stretch my neck out and say coming soon, CBS will bring back news for their stations in Atlanta and Tampa Bay as well [not done in NY and Miami respectfully]
CBS Atlanta already has news. I don't think it ever went away.

Or do you mean the broadcasts in Atlanta and Tampa are done out of NYC and Miami?

If so, I didn't know that...

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:54 pm

It doesn’t exactly sound like they’ll be luring any current market talent. Maybe some folks out of the game but with market experience?

drew10219

Post by drew10219 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:03 pm

Post on CBS' website

CBS News Detroit is currently expected to launch in the late summer or early fall of 2022. It will feature a 24/7 streaming service with live local news coverage from 4:00 AM to 11:35 PM, Monday-Sunday, for a total of 137 hours per week. In addition, CBS 62 will broadcast live CBS News Detroit newscasts 40 hours per week in early morning, midday, early evening and late news time periods.

https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2021/12/14 ... XCpzTXPBE4

they are really going all in on this. as we all tend to agree it's a mistake but who knows. if they can get local well known names, it will have a chance
pulling cheap people from out of town will be a failure

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:05 pm

senpaisai wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:58 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:21 am
LOL! I didn't mean to suggest those would all be good hires. :)

Also keep an eye open for Tom Jordan, who did TV in San Diego for a number of years.

I think 62 launching a local TV news operation is a bad idea. I've held that viewpoint for years and still feel that way today.
I think CBS is looking for streaming to make this a success moreso than OTA viewership. Just look at all of the CBSN channels on PlutoTV. If you only have say Xfinity internet and no OTA antenna (or can't pick up a signal), having CBSN Detroit is your best bet for local news. It could also eat into Newsy ...
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

rushbuzz1013

Post by rushbuzz1013 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:37 pm

They've been guilty of trying to do it all on the cheap in the past. One hopes they've learned from their accomplishments....and, their failures. And, keep the opinion news out of the plan, we have enough already.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic