Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:24 pm

IMO, Karen Carter prefers to do pre tapes and online segments for CW 50. I think the evening position was offered to her but turned it down. Could be wrong though.
She would've been a poor choice for the weeknight weather anchor. She belongs in weekends.

Michiganviewer

Post by Michiganviewer » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:18 am

After watching multiple times, they need to close off the set. The people walking and moving behind the desk anchors are too distracting and you can tell they feel awkward when they have ti get up and go somewhere in a live shot.

Who ever designed and approved this set needs to be fired!

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:55 am

Michiganviewer wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:18 am
After watching multiple times, they need to close off the set. The people walking and moving behind the desk anchors are too distracting and you can tell they feel awkward when they have ti get up and go somewhere in a live shot.

Who ever designed and approved this set needs to be fired!
I have a feeling this is evolving. Still being tweaked. It's just too rough around the edges right now. They know it. See what works. See what needs to be changed. I'm holding off on critiquing too much. See what this looks like in two or three months.

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:20 pm

The working newsroom is the concept that CBS wants. This is why it’s not wise to compare what they are doing to what other stations are doing. WWJ has a unique, yet effective formula.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:54 pm

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:20 pm
The working newsroom is the concept that CBS wants. This is why it’s not wise to compare what they are doing to what other stations are doing. WWJ has a unique, yet effective formula.
Well, I think "effective" is TBD.

We'll see after a bit. I'll agree it's "effective" if I can sit though a whole broadcast and not wonder what the hell they're talking about and feel somewhat "fulfilled" in knowing what's going on in our part of the world. If that happens I can easily tolerate what the set looks like.

I do wish them luck though!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:15 pm

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Effective based on what exactly?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:54 pm

I hate the look of the broadcast from the studio / newsroom / whatever.

It is cramped, the anchor desk looks like it is designed for a much larger room (and is angled awkwardly), and the set up used for weather is total garbage.

There is plenty of room in that building to construct a dedicated news set. That would take extra $$$, so I guess the station or corporate chose this half-assed route instead.

TV 6 in Marquette has a better on-air look.

62's news ratings will be utter trash.

Newsman123

Post by Newsman123 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:50 am

CircleWXYZ wrote:
“Unique, yet effective formula”?????

What are you smoking? The product is a disaster. Everyone at the other stations are shaking their heads in disbelief at how bad it is. It hasnt been “effective”.

Herm

Post by Herm » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:49 am

CircleWXYZ wrote:
A working newsroom is not unique.
How can anyone measure the efficacy of WWJ’s formula at this point?

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:04 am

First of all, it’s my opinion and I have a right to state my opinion. There’s no excuse to making personal attacks just because you don’t agree. That’s just silly. This is why trying to have opinion as facts is just crazy.

Anyhow, it’s unique because it’s not done a lot. And if their newscasts are getting positive feedback, the idea is not all bad. Anyhow, this is what CBS wants and it might be adopted by other CBS stations, if what they are potentially doing at KDKA is any indicator. They just got a new newsroom.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:05 am

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:04 am
First of all, it’s my opinion and I have a right to state my opinion. There’s no excuse to making personal attacks just because you don’t agree. That’s just silly. This is why trying to have opinion as facts is just crazy.

Anyhow, it’s unique because it’s not done a lot. And if their newscasts are getting positive feedback, the idea is not all bad. Anyhow, this is what CBS wants and it might be adopted by other CBS stations, if what they are potentially doing at KDKA is any indicator. They just got a new newsroom.
Those are expressions, not personal attacks.

Sure you do. But others have a right to call you out if that opinion is ridiculous, biased or ill informed.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:39 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:54 pm
I hate the look of the broadcast from the studio / newsroom / whatever.

It is cramped, the anchor desk looks like it is designed for a much larger room (and is angled awkwardly), and the set up used for weather is total garbage.

There is plenty of room in that building to construct a dedicated news set. That would take extra $$$, so I guess the station or corporate chose this half-assed route instead.

TV 6 in Marquette has a better on-air look.

62's news ratings will be utter trash.
It may have been hurried along by CBS. In which case, it isn't going to be as "thought out" as it might otherwise have been.

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:39 am

Someone at CBS must like what they are doing. Weekdays they now have an hour at 4, an hour at 5, in addition to 1/2 hours at 6 & 11.

Hopefully practice makes perfect. Or at least better.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:49 am

I have no beef with a newsroom doubling as the newscast set when done properly. CNN did it for many years.

What 62 is doing doesn't qualify as proper. It's cramped, the dimensions of the area are bizarre, and it looks like shit on-air.

When WKBD did it, they executed it a million times better.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:00 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:49 am
I have no beef with a newsroom doubling as the newscast set when done properly. CNN did it for many years.

What 62 is doing doesn't qualify as proper. It's cramped, the dimensions of the area are bizarre, and it looks like shit on-air.

When WKBD did it, they executed it a million times better.
When done right it usually looks like they are almost in another room with a glass wall or something. They are there and not there all at once. That’s definitely not the case here.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic