Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 7620

Re: Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:36 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:21 am
CircleWXYZ wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:34 am
Good move! Paul has a great resume. In this day and age, you need someone who actually knows an area to start a major news operation from scratch. CBS for once, made a great hire. Now I know this is going to be a successful news operation! They are more then likely, going to hire local MMJs, reporters, and anchors.
You don’t know it’s gonna be any more successful than the rest of us do.
Based on his line of work and his time here in Detroit (34 years), there’s a good chance that he will be successful. All about speaking life, my friend.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:39 pm

Has he trained journalists? Has he made decisions regarding story selection, presentation and resource allocation for a functioning round the clock newsroom? How about decisions regarding online strategy and content? Does he have experience developing promotional content for a successful TV news operation? (The horrible effort of the very early 00s does not count as successful, nor does 62's barebones morning show of a decade ago.)

What's next? Making a longtime camera operator the executive producer of the nightly news?

Oh well. They could've done worse. At least they didn't hire any of the underachieving former NDs from WXYZ. (Rant van...enough said.)

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:00 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:39 pm
Has he trained journalists? Has he made decisions regarding story selection, presentation and resource allocation for a functioning round the clock newsroom? How about decisions regarding online strategy and content? Does he have experience developing promotional content for a successful TV news operation? (The horrible effort of the very early 00s does not count as successful, nor does 62's barebones morning show of a decade ago.)

What's next? Making a longtime camera operator the executive producer of the nightly news?

Oh well. They could've done worse. At least they didn't hire any of the underachieving former NDs from WXYZ. (Rant van...enough said.)

Apparently, Paul helped put this thing together. CBS is putting tens of millions into this. I think they know more what they are doing than any of us.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:07 pm

Based on how many of their major market O&O stations are third, fourth and sometimes even fifth place in local news ratings, I'm not so sure they do! 🙂

I'd love nothing more than for this effort to be a success (Dave LewAllen and Keenan Smith on 7 bore me to tears), but right now, my expectations are very low.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:20 am

I could care less about other markets. This is about WWJ CBS 62. They need someone who knows this area to start this news department from scratch, and Paul’s background, knowledge, dedication, and hard work all speaks for itself. CBS is investing millions into this, so they are going to be very patient with this. They don’t expect great numbers right away but they are going to make a big impact in this community.

I think some need to stop attacking others just because they don’t share their negative, pessimistic views. Like I said, CBS knows far more of what they are doing than any of us, especially some angry, negative keyboard warrior.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:49 am

No anger here, just realism.

I see you ducked my earlier questions. The traits I listed are generally what TV stations look for in a news director. To the best of my knowledge, the gentleman we are discussing has never run a television news room, has never been in second in command of a television news room, and has never even been a field reporter.

But hey - I'm sure a guy who's had a hand in producing 3 minute vignettes that air during the CBS morning show locally plus an hour or so of weekly special affairs programming has what it takes to successfully run an active news room that will be responsible for providing content to fill multiple hours of daily news programming.

I do agree that once the news operation launches, it will likely stick around for a long time. TV stations in general are reducing spending on programming purchases from syndicators and are increasing in-house programming.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:41 am

Maybe they should define "NEWS" before they put the program together so we don't get unreal expectations. Not sure I could tolerate a whole half-hour of "Eye on Detroit", even though to do enjoy many of those segments.

What is the right mix of "NEWS" that should show up? What percent of each of these topics (and what other ones) is the right mix for a successful presentation? Should the local news be covering any national stories, or just those that have an immediate local impact, and only discussing that aspect?
  • Things you NEED to know (boil water alerts, closed roads, business closings/layoffs, crime, imminent weather, etc.)
  • Things you PROBABLY SHOULD know (governmental mismanagement, corruption, long-term planning, etc.)
  • Things that are NICE to know (mostly human-interest stories, local events, health stories, etc.)
  • Things that just promote/advertise a local business (cooking stories, venue highlights, etc.)
  • Things that just promote the station or network (highlights of upcoming stories or shows)
What else am I missing?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:55 pm

Consumer news, education, political / legislative news, sports and business stories. Overall, though, you did a nice job with your categorizations.

ProducerXM

Post by ProducerXM » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:50 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:49 am
No anger here, just realism.

I see you ducked my earlier questions. The traits I listed are generally what TV stations look for in a news director. To the best of my knowledge, the gentleman we are discussing has never run a television news room, has never been in second in command of a television news room, and has never even been a field reporter.

But hey - I'm sure a guy who's had a hand in producing 3 minute vignettes that air during the CBS morning show locally plus an hour or so of weekly special affairs programming has what it takes to successfully run an active news room that will be responsible for providing content to fill multiple hours of daily news programming.

I do agree that once the news operation launches, it will likely stick around for a long time. TV stations in general are reducing spending on programming purchases from syndicators and are increasing in-house programming.

I worked with Pytlowany in the past while working for CBS Newspath. The guy is insane… he is an incredible photo journalist as well as being highly .. and I mean HIGHLY OCD… He is on point. The fact that he hasn’t been selected for management prior to this is surprising. I think of only Dana McDaniel and Kim Voeght who have come from zero management experience to news director. Both of whom did extremely well. Sidelining Pytlowany’s ability because of so called “inexperience” is, at the very least, premature.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:20 pm

You plead a good case, I must admit. I wish him much success. We will see later this year and next year if he has what it takes.

rushbuzz1013

Post by rushbuzz1013 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:13 am

Paul rarely, if ever, fails at anything. He is a solid pro and a gifted photojournalist. And, if CBS funds this as it should be funded, it will be a great ride for PP and 62.

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:35 am

Am I the only one noticing the word "streaming" in the links that Luke and MichMash posted on 1/24 and 1/25. Just what is streaming?
"The rechristened CBS News Streaming Network delivers live national streams along with 13 local streams".
What does local streaming mean? Is this anchors in a central location reading the local news to 13 different markets?
That word seems to want to jump out at me as I peruse this thread.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:20 am

Circle Seven wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:35 am
Am I the only one noticing the word "streaming" in the links that Luke and MichMash posted on 1/24 and 1/25. Just what is streaming?
"The rechristened CBS News Streaming Network delivers live national streams along with 13 local streams".
What does local streaming mean? Is this anchors in a central location reading the local news to 13 different markets?
That word seems to want to jump out at me as I peruse this thread.
If you use any of the CBS News smartTV or device apps, you will see "CBS News" as the national stream, and currently, thirteen individual "CBS News Boston, Chicago, DFW, etc." streams, originating individually from their respective locations. CBS News Detroit is to follow this streaming model, plus local over-the air casts per their announcement.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:31 am

rushbuzz1013 wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:13 am
Paul rarely, if ever, fails at anything. He is a solid pro and a gifted photojournalist. And, if CBS funds this as it should be funded, it will be a great ride for PP and 62.
Absolute truth there. I was quite upset at MW's charaterization of PP as a "camera operator." The man needs a separate building to house all his well-earned Emmys won in different categories over the years!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:20 am

That's not what I said; please re-read what I wrote earlier.

I was making an analogy between promoting a photo journalist / community affairs director to news director versus promoting a longtime camera operator to executive news producer.

You must admit he does not possess several of the qualifications stations generally look for in a News Director, especially for a large or major market.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic