Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

CKWW (?) 580 AM

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Rich F.

Re: CKWW (?) 580 AM

Post by Rich F. » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:33 am

thatonedude wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:22 pm
CKWW is literally a hidden gem. Wish it came in better in Ypsi; might just be my radio, but I can't pick it up worth a damn here. ...
Below is a more detailed view of the 1 mV/m daytime groundwave signal of CKWW in/near Detroit.

They aren't licensed to radiate much power toward Southwest/West/Northwest compass bearings from their transmit site.

And at the risk of "too much information," below is a graphic showing power radiated by CKWW toward Ypsi, and the calculated daytime field it should produce there (about 570 µV/m).

An arriving field of nearly 600 µV/m can produce useful reception by a good AM receiver using a good receive antenna, but nowadays the ambient r-f noise level at most receive sites is so high that it might make its "useful" (quiet) reception difficult.

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:55 am

great stuff rich, love it

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:10 pm

As I may of mentioned before, my family has had a cottage on the Canadian side of Lake St. Clair since I was a kid. Somebody always had CKLW, CKWW or CFCO on a radio. It had been years since I've listened to any of these stations. Because of this thread going on, I have been listening to both CKWW and CFCO. I like the "flavor" of country on CFCO. From downriver, I'm actually getting CFCO clearer than CKWW.

Deleted User 15688

Post by Deleted User 15688 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:34 am

Good station, I have to stream CKWW due to the fact that if I tune in to them on AM the noise level is so bad, it's like a Norelco electric razor in the background but real loud. CKWW should be on FM.

teedub

Post by teedub » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:20 pm

That detailed coverage for CKWW is interesting. I sometimes travel through far NW Detroit (Old Redford area) and CKWW's signal vanishes as the map illustrates. A mile drive back to the east and station comes back. What's weird is CKLW at night also weakens seriously in that same dead zone.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic