Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Jim Harper on WJR

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Scooter

Jim Harper on WJR

Post by Scooter » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:56 am

I noticed that Jim Harper was hosting a new show Saturday morning on WJR. No details on their website.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mega Hertz

Re: Jim Harper on WJR

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:52 am

🙄

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

krupper

Post by krupper » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:26 am

The show started about three weekends ago.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:39 am

The show is called The Great Michigan Weekend, with Jim Harper and Steve Courtney. It's easy to make fun of Harper, sure, but would you rather have a floating lineup of infomercials, run by weekend hucksters, hipsters, and so called experts, all trying to get you to buy whatever the hell they are pushing? Or local information, provided by known, local personalities?

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

whitebalance

Post by whitebalance » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:33 am

Detroit is well known for just shuffling the same talent around to other stations. Never anybody new.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:55 pm

whitebalance wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:33 am
Detroit is well known for just shuffling the same talent around to other stations. Never anybody new.
Is that unique to Detroit? Honest question.

I no longer directly engage trolls

48125er

Post by 48125er » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:15 pm

Jim Harper and the weekend club, is he still hard right wing?

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:49 am

Jim Harper used to own a radio station, right?

Experience would tell you that before big group owners gobbled up thousands of stations, stand alone and small group owners were largely conservative. A matter of survival of almost any small business. Big corporate now leans left, to kiss government you know what, so they let them gobble up even more stations by the thousands. Look how that has turned out.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:38 am

I wish him well. A talk show like what you are describing would IMO be a good gig for him. He does love to talk.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:41 am

whitebalance wrote:
I sometimes ponder if the reason is because some didn't plan for retirement.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:30 am

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:41 am
whitebalance wrote:
I sometimes ponder if the reason is because some didn't plan for retirement.
Why, there just happen to be loads of weekend early-morning radio and TV shows with "financial experts" selling you ways to do just that!

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:50 pm

TC Shuts Up wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:49 am
Jim Harper used to own a radio station, right?

Experience would tell you that before big group owners gobbled up thousands of stations, stand alone and small group owners were largely conservative. A matter of survival of almost any small business. Big corporate now leans left, to kiss government you know what, so they let them gobble up even more stations by the thousands. Look how that has turned out.
A bank once let him run their radio station, let his girlfriend play general manager. When the loan payments were in doubt, they sold it to another bank who let this guy in Kansas City, MO run it along with a few others that they owned. Until he couldn't make the loan payments any longer, so the banks threw the entire cluster of stations into receivership until they found someone with enough cash to take it off their hands.

This guy, turned it into a printing press for money. And then sold it to CBS.

Steve Courtney worked for this station, when it was run by the guy in Kansas City.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:41 pm

Jim Harper is a good guy for a weekend show. Saturday mornings need to be local. Like I say when people make fun of Doug Podell...at least he's OUR guy, and not some syndicated v/t guy from out of state, or an infomercial. The same goes for Jim Harper.

C'mon Mega. You know I'm right.

Kennelly Heaviside

Post by Kennelly Heaviside » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:10 am

Yeah.

The Colonel used to ride his bicycle past Doug Podell's house when he was a kid, hoping he'd see him out and about.

OK, I admit it. I once looked over from the Lowe's Parking lot into Trish's Studio Parking lot to see if Jim Harper had a big fancy sports car parked there one Saturday afternoon. Art said that he did the show from a home studio, though. That has a locked gate and an armed guardhouse by the road.

Kennelly Heaviside. The best Technical Consultant no money can buy.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:35 pm

Kennelly Heaviside wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:10 am
Yeah.

The Colonel used to ride his bicycle past Doug Podell's house when he was a kid, hoping he'd see him out and about.

OK, I admit it. I once looked over from the Lowe's Parking lot into Trish's Studio Parking lot to see if Jim Harper had a big fancy sports car parked there one Saturday afternoon. Art said that he did the show from a home studio, though. That has a locked gate and an armed guardhouse by the road.
That's quite a vivid imagination you have. Remind me to make sure you don't do my eulogy when the time comes :rollin

If Harper really has armed guards, that's even funnier. Build a moat, and fill it with piranha :lol

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic