Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Going up against Jeopardy

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 14896

Going up against Jeopardy

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:44 am

I wasn't quite sure whether to post this query here or in the existing Jeopardy thread elsewhere. Since this is a local programming question, I decided on here

I'm pondering if it may be a good decision for Fox2, WXYZ and Channel 62 to maybe put a bit of thought about what to run in that time slot this fall.

I see a vulnerability opening up. If the comments by folks here on Buzzboard are any indication, there may be an opportunity to take a shot at the title. Ask themselves what they could run at 7:30 that people who have become disgruntled with Jeopardy may want to watch instead.

Editorcj

Re: Going up against Jeopardy

Post by Editorcj » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:17 pm

Early prime is expensive syndication so Ch 7 will continue the Scripps produced "List" for that reason. Fox 2 has TMZ and Extra in early prime but has a much bigger syndication problem at 4pm with the loss of Judge Judy. Attacking a perceived weakness in Jeopardy's numbers with counter programming probably isn't in the cards. The stations might try focusing on promoting the current lineup a little harder.

Luke

Post by Luke » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:40 pm

Does Family Feud on 62 ever beat WOF and/or Jeopardy?

senpaisai

Post by senpaisai » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:03 am

Sony screwed the pooch here. Alex Trebek was to Jeopardy what Art Fleming was to Jeopardy. Once Alex passed away, they should've announced that Jeopardy has to take a few years off so that people who miss Alex will one day miss Jeopardy more, and be more receptive to a new host. People even said that the only reason why he wasn't given Jeopardy in 1984 was because of Ageism which also bit Gene Rayburn in 1987 after ET reported "the 69 year old" would host the Match Game revival and the age disclosure actually cost him the job. Of course, Sony doesn't want to give up the 7:30pm slot they've dominated since the 1980s but taking a risk with a revival of Tic-Tac-Dough, Hollywood Squares, Bullseye, or even WHEW! couldn't do worse than trying to replace the irreplaceable. Pat Sajak and Vanna White aren't spring chickens anymore and they need to start grooming replacements now or consider losing the 7pm to 8pm time block altogether ...

thekman

Post by thekman » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:22 pm

Jeopardy is still doing very well in the ratings, although down from the Trebek era. I don’t know about locally, but nationally the vast majority of daytime programming (other than Family Feud or Judge Judy) don’t even come remotely close to J or WoF.

https://www.nexttv.com/news/syndication ... amily-feud

senpaisai

Post by senpaisai » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:02 pm

Family Feud is a monster in syndication and hasn't left the air since Louie Anderson brought it back. I know a lot of people that say Steve Harvey turned it too ghetto but I say it was necessary since it is a spin off of Match Game and both shows have a history of host that are masters of the double entendre and pushing the envelope. If anything, I'd say Harvey is too stiff. He has made this show his own a long time ago, but still presents the show like he's a substitute host making sure to follow the director's cue with so much rigidity that would've gotten that director flogged with his cue cards by Rayburn, Dawson, or Combs. Then again, there was a lot of free flowing liquor during those tapings, and that stuff don't fly today ... 😆

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic