Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Dickerson's Call of Cabrera's 500th HR

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Bobbert

Dickerson's Call of Cabrera's 500th HR

Post by Bobbert » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:54 am

Detroit Tigers radio announcer Dan Dickerson likes to yell. He really likes to yell. Especially when a Tiger hits a home run.

In anticipation of Dickerson's call of Miguel Cabrera's 500th home run, the following preparations are being taken:
  • Technicians are on call at 97.1...the...TICKET! to fix any blown audio equipment.
  • The National Weather Service is on special alert for any sudden gusts of wind or seismic activity in downtown Detroit.
  • Members of the Tigers press corps have added the phone numbers of reputable audiologists to the speed dial on their smartphones.
Meanwhile, Dickerson's partner JIm Price has been practicing his commentary on this momentous achievement. His main goal is to cram as many tiresome cliches as possible into one sentence. So far, he's up to: "The Big Man really put a buggy whip on that yellow hammer, in spite of the pitcher's attempt to apply the Art of Pitching to the various keyholes in his arsenal."

SolarMax

Re: Dickerson's Call of Cabrera's 500th HR

Post by SolarMax » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:19 pm

Miggy: (loud crack of bat)
Dickerson: HERE"S A LOOONG FLY BALL INTO DEEP LEFT FIELD!!! ...
Price: Nice Area.

Gertner

Post by Gertner » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:37 pm

Jim Price talking about "The Art of Pitching" during Miggy's home run trot

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:44 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:19 pm
Miggy: (loud crack of bat)
Dickerson: HERE"S A LOOONG FLY BALL INTO DEEP LEFT FIELD!!! ...
Price: Nice Area.
You forgot "WAY BACK...LONG GONNNNNNNE!" before "nice area".

I can't fault DD for getting excited, though. We could have another Joe Buck. Blech!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:45 pm

Paging deadend.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

DAC

Post by DAC » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:31 am

I haven't heard Price on home or road games in a loooooong time. Dan Petry does will filling in. Craig Monroe is a little tiresome. There is definitely such a thing as too much excitement, regardless of what MLB would have us believe.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:48 am

Dickerson and Sheppard are just plain terrible. Somebody dig up Ernie and George Kell.

jsf

Post by jsf » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:18 am

Monroe always sounds like he's looking for a coaching job somewhere

musicfan

Post by musicfan » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:04 am

Monroe had a FAIR career. A couple of decent seasons in the majors. Listening to him impart his "hall of fame" level wisdom during pregame, or in game broadcast is laughable. Also, when he speaks, he sounds like he just took a drag off a blunt, or he is constipated trying to pinch off a loaf.

As for Price being a part of a 500th home run call...he will probably ruin the moment as he did with Ordonez's dramatic game winning playoff home run, by interrupting Dickerson's enthusiastic call with a series of "WOW's". I'd like to know who within the Tigers organization believe that this man is still relevant. I have yet to hear one ounce of true analysis from him this season (when he is broadcasting).

Dan Dickerson and Matt StatTurd need to switch places. Shephard loves to hear himself talk and his innate penchant to try to impress the viewing audience with his useless statistics and fun facts is more suited for radio. In fact, he would not have to worry about being challenged by a capable color analyst, since all Price is capable of is spewing out clichés, or agreeing with what has just been said.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:05 am

Willie108 wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:48 am
Dickerson and Sheppard are just plain terrible. Somebody dig up Ernie and George Kell.
Sorry.
Ernie is L-O-O-O-NG Gone.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:52 pm

And there is the "Pick The Stick" on Bally. This is the most ridiculous, inane thing I've ever viewed. And then there's John "I'm in love with my voice" Keating. Geez...I'd settle for Kirk Gibson doing the play by play, and maybe with Jack Morris.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:54 pm

Gibby with Jack Morris doing a game together=poor man's Valium.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:36 pm

musicfan wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:04 am
Monroe had a FAIR career. A couple of decent seasons in the majors. Listening to him impart his "hall of fame" level wisdom during pregame, or in game broadcast is laughable. Also, when he speaks, he sounds like he just took a drag off a blunt, or he is constipated trying to pinch off a loaf.

As for Price being a part of a 500th home run call...he will probably ruin the moment as he did with Ordonez's dramatic game winning playoff home run, by interrupting Dickerson's enthusiastic call with a series of "WOW's". I'd like to know who within the Tigers organization believe that this man is still relevant. I have yet to hear one ounce of true analysis from him this season (when he is broadcasting).

Dan Dickerson and Matt StatTurd need to switch places. Shephard loves to hear himself talk and his innate penchant to try to impress the viewing audience with his useless statistics and fun facts is more suited for radio. In fact, he would not have to worry about being challenged by a capable color analyst, since all Price is capable of is spewing out clichés, or agreeing with what has just been said.
Price is done for the season because of medical issues. I’m further thinking he won’t be back at all. Petry and Monroe are switching up color duties on the radio for the rest of the season.

Completely agree on Shep and Dickinson needing to switch up duties, although I’ve heard DD wants to stay on the radio. Shep has barely improved in calling the game. Tigers made a major mistake on giving him a 10 year contract 😳😳😳 right off the bat

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:58 pm

I don't think Shepard does that bad of a job, but he's nothing special. Gibson, on the other hand, puts me to sleep.

Remember when brain dead dolts such as Lynn Henning were predicting the Tigers and FSN would hire an MLB play by play veteran of national prominence to replace Mario? LMFAO

Instead, they simply promoted the man who was handling pre and post game studio duties.

I guess we should all be thankful they didn't promote Johnny Kane instead. Ever hear his call of a Pistons game? Brutal doesn't even begin to describe it.

Petry is good and should've been given Price's radio job many moons ago. Someone needs to fix his mic processing, though. Jimmy Powers (is he still PD?) needs to get off his ass.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:41 pm

I couldn't watch any more of that game today. The Guardians were smacking the ball around.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic