Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ben Bailey leaving WDIV

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Ben Bailey leaving WDIV

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:02 pm

I wonder if Ashley Baracee would consider coming back?

Is she still with 10 News in Columbus?

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

rushbuzz1013

Post by rushbuzz1013 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:15 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:02 pm
I wonder if Ashley Baracee would consider coming back?

Is she still with 10 News in Columbus?
Great idea!
And, I am glad to see "Howdy Doody" Ben move on. He was so hit or miss wrong.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:49 am

Seems he may have taken a job in another state for more money. Note he thanks viewers for making him feel like a Michigander for 17 years. If he’s too GOP to get vaccinated maybe he’s headed to a bigger city in a southern state. Dallas/Fort Worth? Miami? The governors in Texas and Florida would high-five him.

Other possibility? Needed to let him go to make room for a good looking black weather chick. Current pack at 4 all dudes and mostly white.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:13 am

screen glare wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:49 am
Other possibility? Needed to let him go to make room for a good looking black weather chick. Current pack at 4 all dudes and mostly white.
Weird

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:17 am

screen glare wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:49 am
Seems he may have taken a job in another state for more money. Note he thanks viewers for making him feel like a Michigander for 17 years. If he’s too GOP to get vaccinated maybe he’s headed to a bigger city in a southern state. Dallas/Fort Worth? Miami? The governors in Texas and Florida would high-five him.

Why is this mentally unstable bigot still allowed to post here?

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:17 am

This article about Ben Bailey uses a very outdated photo caption (as of 10:02 this morning): :(

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 530185001/

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:52 am

I think race definitely factors into many hiring decisions for on-air jobs at our area TV news outlets. However, any suggestion that Mr. Bailey was "let go" because he is a white male is indeed absurd.

Would not at all surprise me if WDIV simply chooses to promote Andrew Humphrey. His forecast accuracy is nearly as poor as Ben's, but at least he doesn't overdramatize the way Bailey does.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:15 pm

Maybe they promote Humphrey and hire Ahmed Bajey from NBC 25 in Flint? I believe he's from Dearborn and maybe would like to come home?

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

whitebalance

Post by whitebalance » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:16 pm

A meteorologist who doesn't believe science? Get vaccinated. You have a greater risk working in downtown Detroit every day. Maybe Fox News is hiring.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:49 pm

Bajey of WEYI does indeed do a superb job; he would make a great addition.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:42 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:49 pm
Bajey of WEYI does indeed do a superb job; he would make a great addition.
The funny thing is that Ahmed, who I watch every night on Fox66, has said he likes the Tri City area and likes living where he’s at. He married a local gal and has a son now. If he broke his contract, his employer Sinclair would certainly sue him.

Then again, money talks and Post Newsweek could easily pay out the remainder of his contract at WEYI/WSMH

whitebalance

Post by whitebalance » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:52 pm

I don't think Ahmed has the ambition to move. I would rather see Leslie Toldo come back to Detroit.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:54 pm

whitebalance wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:52 pm
I don't think Ahmed has the ambition to move. I would rather see Leslie Toldo come back to Detroit.
Her hubby works for GM in the Flint area but could be close to retirement age

BFSEsq

Post by BFSEsq » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:03 pm

This is a shame, in my opinion. I thought he was a good forecaster, and very likable. If they do promote the horrid Andrew Humphrey, I'm out. That would be a disaster. Though I wouldn't be surprised.

I honestly would LOVE Paul Gross to get the big job. He's great. Probably won't happen; he's been passed over many times. He definitely just isn't as engaging on TV. But he's truly great at his job. He alone was behind the surprisingly good WDIV weather app. He knows his stuff. He's the old pro holding down the fort. He's been there since 1983!

If it really is that Bailey is against getting a Covid vaccination, then he's an idiot, and good riddance. But I'm not sure I trust that single, potentially sketchy source, whoever it was Deadline Detroit talked to. It just sounds like such a rumor. The station GM shot it down. I mean, who knows, though.

I'll bet he's not telling the truth about the "less makeup" thing. I'd be surprised if he isn't actually leaving to take another TV job in a different city.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:17 pm

Among the folks who currently work at WDIV, Paul Gross would be my preferred choice as well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic