Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Dan Bongino Show Starts Monday 5-24-2021 On WJR

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Bobbert

Re: Dan Bongino Show Starts Monday 5-24-2021 On WJR

Post by Bobbert » Thu May 27, 2021 9:44 pm

Bongino looks like a better fit than Travis & Sexton, based on what I've read here and elsewhere. It looks like Bongino will have a variety of guests, which will be a change from Limbaugh. That will make the show more interesting than just hearing what he has to say about everything.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 27, 2021 9:51 pm

Other than live play-by-play, I don't think ESPN Radio has any redeeming qualities right now.

I was rooting for Mark Steyn to be Limbaugh's successor.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Thu May 27, 2021 9:58 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:11 pm
I've heard of Buck Sexton - many iHM news/talk outlets air him - but I've never listened. I have no idea who Clay Travis is. He appears to have spent much of his media career in sports radio circles and in Nashville.

Unless Mr. Travis undergoes some sort of transformation where he attempts to reinvent himself, it appears this new program won't be following in the footsteps of the Limbaugh program.

Per Wikipedia:
A self-described "radical moderate" who is pro-choice and against the death penalty, Travis said he voted for former President Barack Obama twice and never voted Republican. In 2016, Travis voted for Gary Johnson of the Libertarian Party.

As an undergrad, Travis interned for U.S. Representative Bob Clement for four years while in college at George Washington University. In 2000, he worked on Al Gore's presidential campaign. Travis was hired to work on U.S. Representative Jim Cooper's 2002 congressional campaign but was fired for wrecking Cooper's wife's car.
That show likely won't be airing here in Metro Detroit in any event. I do suspect WOOD Radio in Grand Rapids will be airing the Sexton / Travis offering.
Travis is mostly a sports commentator. He's known for his Outkick the Coverage podcast. In it, he often compares ESPN to MSNBC but sports instead of politics, so he might be a little to the right. Don't know much about Sexton though except his podcast is promoted on IHeart stations.

WSPD in Toledo will likely carry the show as well.

Deleted User 15502

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Thu May 27, 2021 10:07 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 3:53 pm
Heathcliff wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 1:08 pm
Rate This wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 11:14 am
Heathcliff wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 8:53 am
|I Same ole same ole
You were expecting?
Of course not! I don't even listen to AM talk radio because it's poison to me, as well as politics in general anymore. It's going to Limbaugh's views, just someone else spouting them.
Air America had a good run. Tens of millions of dollars were spent on it. Nobody listened. :lol

As for Dan Bongino, I don't see Rush's audience sticking around for this. Yet another case of Cumulus doing things on the cheap. Whatever Dan needs to have, he doesn't have it. The show screams "weekend filler" to me.
I never mentioned Air America nor anything connected to it. I don't do political blah blah of any kind.

thekman

Post by thekman » Thu May 27, 2021 11:56 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:58 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:11 pm
I've heard of Buck Sexton - many iHM news/talk outlets air him - but I've never listened. I have no idea who Clay Travis is. He appears to have spent much of his media career in sports radio circles and in Nashville.

Unless Mr. Travis undergoes some sort of transformation where he attempts to reinvent himself, it appears this new program won't be following in the footsteps of the Limbaugh program.

Per Wikipedia:
A self-described "radical moderate" who is pro-choice and against the death penalty, Travis said he voted for former President Barack Obama twice and never voted Republican. In 2016, Travis voted for Gary Johnson of the Libertarian Party.

As an undergrad, Travis interned for U.S. Representative Bob Clement for four years while in college at George Washington University. In 2000, he worked on Al Gore's presidential campaign. Travis was hired to work on U.S. Representative Jim Cooper's 2002 congressional campaign but was fired for wrecking Cooper's wife's car.
That show likely won't be airing here in Metro Detroit in any event. I do suspect WOOD Radio in Grand Rapids will be airing the Sexton / Travis offering.
Travis is mostly a sports commentator. He's known for his Outkick the Coverage podcast. In it, he often compares ESPN to MSNBC but sports instead of politics, so he might be a little to the right. Don't know much about Sexton though except his podcast is promoted on IHeart stations.

WSPD in Toledo will likely carry the show as well.
I don’t think that Wikipedia entry is terribly representative of Clay. Don’t get me wrong, it might be factual, but it does not give a strong right-wing impression at all. But Clay basically taunts and sneers at the sports left-wing every day. Maybe he’s a Libertarian at heart, but he butters his bread with right-wing material.

Among the younger conservatives I know, Clay is extremely popular. I’ve only become aware of him during the last year, but his daily tweets shitting on LeBron are damn funny.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 28, 2021 7:23 am

Based on his voting history, his media persona sure looks phony to me. What type of "conservative" votes for Obama not once but twice?

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri May 28, 2021 7:49 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 3:53 pm
Air America had a good run. Tens of millions of dollars were spent on it. Nobody listened. :lol
The only personality I listened to on Air America was Lionel. Followed him there from his time at WOR. He was fun to listen to back in the day, although since moving to YouTube he has pretty much gone off the rails. Watching him now you would never imagine he was an AA host.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Fri May 28, 2021 9:05 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:51 pm

As was I. Would have been a no-brainer. Limbaugh's audience knows him and he's got a lot of Rush's snark.

Hard pass on the new show.

thekman

Post by thekman » Fri May 28, 2021 10:34 am

armchair pd wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 9:05 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:51 pm

As was I. Would have been a no-brainer. Limbaugh's audience knows him and he's got a lot of Rush's snark.

Hard pass on the new show.
I’m shocked they did not go with Steyn. He was easily the fan favorite among the Limbaugh guest hosts. I think it would have been business as usual if he replaced Rush. I wonder if he was considered or not. Perhaps he did not want a 5 day a week gig, or thry could not agree on money.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri May 28, 2021 11:10 am

When checking in occasionally, I have yet to hear Steyn guest host since Limbaugh's passing. Perhaps he was liked by Limbaugh himself but not necessarily the men in suits?

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Fri May 28, 2021 11:25 am

bmw wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 11:10 am
When checking in occasionally, I have yet to hear Steyn guest host since Limbaugh's passing. Perhaps he was liked by Limbaugh himself but not necessarily the men in suits?
He was on a lot right after Rush passed.
He is doing the 7 Pm hour on Fox news quite a bit so maybe that's why he passed on the radio gig.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 28, 2021 5:43 pm

Good points, and I completely agree with thekman.

I think Steyn would've been quite successful in retaining Rush's audience. The fact he either wasn't offered the gig or turned it down is disappointing.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri May 28, 2021 8:30 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 5:43 pm

I think Steyn would've been quite successful in retaining Rush's audience. The fact he either wasn't offered the gig or turned it down is disappointing.
Make it 3 for Steyn. I also can't understand why Larry Elder wasn't considered. Just like Steyn, he's funny, his show has great production, hilariously funny bits, etc. It's a shame his show is relegated to evenings here in Detroit on lowly WDTK, a station you can only hear (on AM or FM, doesn't matter) if you can actually see the tower.

Joe Pags would have been a good #3 choice.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat May 29, 2021 8:14 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 8:30 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 5:43 pm

Make it 3 for Steyn. I also can't understand why Larry Elder wasn't considered. Just like Steyn, he's funny, his show has great production, hilariously funny bits, etc. It's a shame his show is relegated to evenings here in Detroit on lowly WDTK, a station you can only hear (on AM or FM, doesn't matter) if you can actually see the tower.

Joe Pags would have been a good #3 choice.
Steyn was always my favorite guest host for Limbaugh too. I would guess there's several reasons why he didn't succeed him:
  • Too independent and free-wheeling for the awkward host-guide setup that immediately replaced the show.
  • He seems to operate off of bursts of enthusiasm and energy that would be hard to maintain for a regular weekday show.

semihemi8

Post by semihemi8 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:19 pm

Steve B wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 8:40 am
SixPlusOne wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 12:28 pm
...Frankly, I think this is a smart move on the part of WJR getting a fresh start with Bongino.

Why would one think of Dan Bongino as a "fresh start"? He's full of the same tired conspiracy B.S. that Rush specialized in.

exactly what b.s. is that?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic