Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

20 may dump AntTV; Rewind TV launching

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Splouge

20 may dump AntTV; Rewind TV launching

Post by Splouge » Thu May 06, 2021 7:32 pm

Nexstar will be launching a sister network to Antenna TV, Rewind TV. The channel will launch on September 1 and will show sitcoms from the 80s and 90s. But neither 7 or 20 intend to carry the channel. Based off that, and the fact that Scripps is launching 3 new diginets this year, I'd say that Antenna TV is probably gonna be gone in Detroit

So where will Antenna TV and Rewind TV end up? Without a Nexstar O&O in the market, it's gonna be hard for them to get coverage

So now it's time to play my least favorite game: Guess the New Affiliate. I really can't think of any full power stations that'd carry them. So maybe Nexstar will settle for a LPTV like WHPS or WHNE. They've settled for carriage on an LP in Boston, and that's a more populated market.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

MasterB

Re: 20 may dump AntTV; Rewind TV launching

Post by MasterB » Fri May 07, 2021 1:50 am

Pretty much Rewind TV will be on WoodTV or WOTV in West Michigan TV market since Nexstar owns 3 channels WXSP is an LP. Antenna TV has been on WXMI Fox17 since day 1 since it was a Tribune station before the Nexstar merger.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

windsor

Post by windsor » Fri May 07, 2021 9:44 pm

Don't know if this is the right info, even though Nextar doesnt have a station in Det doesnt mean Ant tv will be dropped. Det doesnt have a Tegna station and Twist still went to WADL.

If you notice on WMYD they have added a 20.4 in anticipation of Rewind tv.Yes it has HSN until the launch in Sept of Rewind TV.

We will see.

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Fri May 07, 2021 11:42 pm

windsor wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:44 pm
Don't know if this is the right info, even though Nextar doesnt have a station in Det doesnt mean Ant tv will be dropped. Det doesnt have a Tegna station and Twist still went to WADL.

If you notice on WMYD they have added a 20.4 in anticipation of Rewind tv.Yes it has HSN until the launch in Sept of Rewind TV.

We will see.
Scripps stations all over the USA, even in Nexstar markets, have been adding shopping channel subs. And I emailed Scripps, and they said that neither 7 or 20 intend to add Rewind. It doesn't help that AntTV doesn't pay its affiliates.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

windsor

Post by windsor » Sat May 08, 2021 12:54 am

Splouge wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:42 pm
windsor wrote:

We will see.
Scripps stations all over the USA, even in Nexstar markets, have been adding shopping channel subs. And I emailed Scripps, and they said that neither 7 or 20 intend to add Rewind. It doesn't help that AntTV doesn't pay its affiliates.
There's always WADL...... :D

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat May 08, 2021 9:29 am

Seems like I used to catch quite a few shows on AntTV a while ago, but nothing on the schedule recently has caught my interest.

And WADL? I haven't watched too many of their subchannels (other than 38.1 and 38.3) but if they add much more I can't believe that quality wouldn't suffer like ALL the subchannels of WHNE. I wonder if the effective resolution on some of those gets over 200 vertical lines.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Sat May 08, 2021 12:05 pm

windsor wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:54 am
Splouge wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:42 pm
windsor wrote:

We will see.
There's always WADL...... :D
They already dumped AntTV once before, like I said, AntTV doesn't give the stations revenue, and WADL loves money more than any other full power station in the area.

GetTV, the Tegna nets, and the Katz nets are fee based, meaning they pay their affiliates a regular fee to carry their feeds. Because their affiliates get payments, they don't insert local ads. Shopping and infomercial channels are also fee based. WADL dumped GetTV due to overdue payments iirc.

MeTV, Antenna, and Cozi are ad split based, meaning they don't pay their affilates, but they let them sell a certain percentage of ad time to local advertisers. This is why you see WDIV airing local ads on their Me and Cozi subs.

When WADL was an Antenna affiliate, they sold ad space. But when they picked up Cozi, they stopped selling ad space on their subs. And then they replaced Cozi with QVC.

Conversely, WMYD used to sell ad space when they carried Cozi, but they stopped when they became an Antenna affiliate. With 20's parent company (Scripps) launching 3 new diginets this year, and with the whole ATSC 1.0 channel sharing arrangements, this puts Antenna in jeopardy

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Sat May 08, 2021 5:17 pm

Maybe if enough of us email WMYD and let them know that we want Rewind TV, they'll change their minds and carry it

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Sat May 08, 2021 7:20 pm

WMYD is still currently hosting all the ATSC 3.0 content, and their channels actually being on other stations towers. So I am not sure they really care to add new channels. I wonder when the major network channels will try and move to ATSC 3.0 and will need the other channels to host their ATSC 1.0 broadcasts. Won't be to soon since you can't really find ATSC 3.0 tuners other then the HD Homerun Connect 4k and a few high end Sony TVs.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Sat May 08, 2021 8:39 pm

Assuming that WMYD doesn't dump Antenna TV, I'd say the most likely place that Rewind TV will end up is WDIV 4.5

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sat May 08, 2021 11:28 pm

I forget to add also Rewind TV haven't signed on with any TV groups will not know until sometime late June or early July.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Sun May 09, 2021 10:51 am

At the current time, Antenna TV is airing Barney Miller in prine-time, 8 p.m. Eastern. I find it appearing in the overnight also.

I am more a 60s-70s sitcom seeker, there are other places to get the 80s-90s fare, in the West Michigan OTA array. (Yes, Antenna TV has always been Fox 17's "first" add-on channel, they had and dumped THIS, which I wouldn't mind seeing again, if it still exists)

I wish the non-cabled viewers of the Detroit area well, I am in year 25 of living without cable and year 13 of taking what digital signals offer. No longer do you have to feign the excitement of "Hey, Honey, Jim Bowie's coming on!" "Boy, that Pat Brady is a whimsical sidekick to Roy and Dale!" Still, it can be like Springsteen sang, "57 channels, and nothing's on."

YpsiGuy

Post by YpsiGuy » Thu May 20, 2021 4:40 pm

Defy TV is going to make a big dent in other diginets viewership. It’s going to be a lot of History Channel programming brought out into “OTA land”.

Smart move by Scripps.

Antenna and Rewind will find a home eventually, just not a preferable one.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic