Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Would this be a good move for 98.7?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 15502

Re: Would this be a good move for 98.7?

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Sat May 08, 2021 2:33 am

I wouldn't hearing the 89x voice over guy again either. I mean, make it like what 89x was in the mid 90s and early 2000's, to a fault.

" Coming up, NIN, Prodigy, but going back to 1996 first here's the refreshments with Banditos, 98.7 The X"

" Garbage.... I'm only happy when it rains, well your in luck because that's what's forecasted every day this week, but keep it right here on 98.7 The X and well get through it, Blink 182, Live, and... The Rentals Friends of P. Next"

Ok.. I'm having too much fun with this. :razz

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat May 08, 2021 9:35 am

Here's what I can't figure out. I figure the average age of those of us who came up on that era of music have to be, what, in the 35-45 age range? I'm 36. When most boomers were that age, they had plenty of options on the FM dial. Yet today, while they're in the 55-70 age range, they can still hear Bohemian Rhapsody and any given GNR song ad nauseum, 20 times a day. But you wouls swear no rock music was made between 1992 and the release of Linkin Park's first album. They had classic rock. Classic hits. They were still getting Led Zeppelin on AOR (or Active Rock, whatever). Yet just about all the acts/songs you mentioned above are in the dustbin. The reason 89x had any sort of success was because they gave that audience the music they were looking for. If one of these stations would serve an underserved market, maybe the ratings would change. And don't hand me anything about revenue. When your commercial breaks are either PSAs or national barter spots, you can't tell me you're raking in the dough. If we wanted 95.5 music, we would tune to 95.5. We don't. Tweak the format and you might make yourself a couple bucks and have an audience while you're at it.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Realist

Post by Realist » Sat May 08, 2021 12:29 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:35 am
Here's what I can't figure out. I figure the average age of those of us who came up on that era of music have to be, what, in the 35-45 age range? I'm 36. When most boomers were that age, they had plenty of options on the FM dial. Yet today, while they're in the 55-70 age range, they can still hear Bohemian Rhapsody and any given GNR song ad nauseum, 20 times a day. But you wouls swear no rock music was made between 1992 and the release of Linkin Park's first album. They had classic rock. Classic hits. They were still getting Led Zeppelin on AOR (or Active Rock, whatever). Yet just about all the acts/songs you mentioned above are in the dustbin. The reason 89x had any sort of success was because they gave that audience the music they were looking for. If one of these stations would serve an underserved market, maybe the ratings would change. And don't hand me anything about revenue. When your commercial breaks are either PSAs or national barter spots, you can't tell me you're raking in the dough. If we wanted 95.5 music, we would tune to 95.5. We don't. Tweak the format and you might make yourself a couple bucks and have an audience while you're at it.
Completely agree when it comes to Detroit radio.

I’m 55 and live in the Tri Cities radio market. Do I listen primarily to classic rock on Wheelz 104.5 when in a work car? Nope - still listen to Z93, like I have since they went on the air 35+ years ago. Decent mix of current active rock and stuff from the 90’s and 2000’s.

What do I listen to predominantly in my personal vehicles that have SXM? Turbo (90’s and 2000’s hard rock) and Lithium (90’s and 2000’s grunge and alternative). I know I’m not the only person my age with these musical tastes.

I swear, the brass / corporations running broadcast radio stations are clueless at times. This new “alternative” music on 98.7 is 💩 and is aiming for a generation that doesn’t listen to the radio, but rather streams their music or gets it from other mediums

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat May 08, 2021 1:59 pm

Realist wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:29 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:35 am
Completely agree when it comes to Detroit radio.

I’m 55 and live in the Tri Cities radio market. Do I listen primarily to classic rock on Wheelz 104.5 when in a work car? Nope - still listen to Z93, like I have since they went on the air 35+ years ago. Decent mix of current active rock and stuff from the 90’s and 2000’s.

What do I listen to predominantly in my personal vehicles that have SXM? Turbo (90’s and 2000’s hard rock) and Lithium (90’s and 2000’s grunge and alternative). I know I’m not the only person my age with these musical tastes.

I swear, the brass / corporations running broadcast radio stations are clueless at times. This new “alternative” music on 98.7 is 💩 and is aiming for a generation that doesn’t listen to the radio, but rather streams their music or gets it from other mediums
I am 38 and do the exact same! I listen to XM 32(U2 radio) 33, 34, 36, and 41. I am headed up to Freeland next month and looking forward to hearing Z93.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Tue May 11, 2021 12:44 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:52 pm
jadednihilist wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 10:05 am
The Church of Lazlo just seems like a bad parody of awful radio morning zoos... in the afternoon.
That's what kills me. If it was a morning show, fine. You're literally stopping the music on what is branded a music station. Again, 4, 5 voices yapping. What's the point?
I can't listen long enough to even know what the hell they're talking about. It's just braindead talk. Dead air is preferable.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

RA-USA-CAN

Post by RA-USA-CAN » Tue May 11, 2021 8:44 pm

Church Of Lazlo needs to stay a podcast. It does not need to be syndicated on Detroit, Dallas or Vegas radio.

The voice, the inappropriate topics and discussion is too much. There is so little music and what music they play is infused with TikTok and pop bands. So sick of Juice Wrld and 24kgoldn.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue May 11, 2021 9:41 pm

The irony is that on the Wikipedia page, it says 98.7 airs an "alternative rock format". Obviously a loose definition of "rock".

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic