Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Scripps To Offer Newsy As Free, OTA Network

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:21 pm

Courtesy: TVNewsCheck

"Beginning Oct. 1, Newsy will be available over the air in at least 80% of U.S. television homes — and in all major markets — carried primarily by Scripps-owned Ion stations and select Scripps stations plus those of other station groups."

https://tvnewscheck.com/top-news/journa ... a-network/

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Scripps To Offer Newsy As Free, OTA Network

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:58 pm

Not terribly surprising given the critical mass offered by Scripps' recent acquisition of most of the former ION O&O stations (and for ION O&O stations it didn't acquire, programming agreements with Scripps exist).

Given the fact Newsy's viewership is tiny because the network is completely lost amid a sea of other news options on both cable & streaming services, using OTA to increase access to Newsy makes sense.

Of course, doing away with Newsy altogether would probably make even more sense!

Gotta love how Scripps hasn't even managed to gain cable TV carriage of Court TV yet in Metro Detroit.

YpsiGuy

Post by YpsiGuy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:19 am

A news channel will be much more valuable to Scripps as an OTA than on cable or satellite only. It’s all about increasing advertising revenue. OTA is looking better day by day, especially with the hefty price hikes on Dish, DirectTV and Comcast.

Deleted User 15525

Post by Deleted User 15525 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:18 am

Newsy should be renamed Lousy. What a terrible news source.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:46 am

Brent Wilson wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:18 am
Newsy should be renamed Lousy. What a terrible news source.
I must be the only one on here that finds Newsy interesting. I'll often have it on while I'm putzing around doing stuff. Seems more interesting than the news on Scripps local OTA station. To me anyway.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic