Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Say what you want about Cumulus, but this is an EXCELLENT hire...

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Say what you want about Cumulus, but this is an EXCELLENT hire...

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:47 pm

This is a MAJOR win for Cumulus. David Corey has 25 years of programming experience at some of the most successful radio stations of the millennial era, including the almighty 104.5 CHUM-FM in Toronto, where he was Program Director for a decade! Prior to that, he had a successful tenure at the legendary Kiss 108 in Boston.

(Sadly, CHUM-FM in the year 2021 is but a shadow of its former glorious self. Ten years ago, it was one of the best sounding radio stations of any format anywhere in North America.)

Mr. Corey was PD of the highly successful Country 102.5 in Boston for several years ending in 2020.

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2065 ... ogramming/
https://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/r ... _id=n40323

I am in awe that Cumulus was able to hire someone of this caliber for Detroit. There's no way in hell that will be the only capacity in which Cumulus utilizes him.

Realist

Re: Say what you want about Cumulus, but this is an EXCELLENT hire...

Post by Realist » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:55 pm

Pretty apparent with this hire that the country format on 93.1 isn’t going anywhere

option1

Post by option1 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:12 pm

He should make sure to keep his attorney on speed dial and read the fine print of Finteri’s contract. Especially the non-compete section.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:12 pm

I would agree, Realist.

One major complaint about 96.3 & 93.1 in Detroit right now - what the hell has happened to the audio processing??? 96.3 has sounded unbearably loud and over-trebled since last week. Low end bass is also excessively "crunk."

93.1 began sounding lousy today or yesterday. I even could clearly hear PPM pulse tones in 93.1's chain when music wasn't playing a short time ago.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:58 am

What is this guy going to do to 93.1 that's really going to make a difference for the station or a dent in the ratings?

Will Cume-less let him rerand the station to a less generic sounding name or move W4 back to Detroit? I doubt that it will be rebranded, much less bringing back W4 Country.

Hire good, local DJs like a Chuck Edwards, Lisa Jesswin, Renee Vitale, Sandy Kovach, etc. to work airshifts at the station? Probably not there either.

Go live and local all day and evening? It's likely one or more of the shifts will be voicetracked, nights almost being guaranteed with the crappy Nash Nights Live with Eliena.

Change the music mix to a gold-based playlist with more 80s and 90s tracks to counter 99.5's CHR of country music approach? I'd be stunned if a Nash Icon or gold-based country format ended up on 93.1.

What tangible, meaningful changes can we actually expect from this guy at 93.1?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:14 pm

MrTaterSalad wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:58 am

He'll change the lightbulb in his office and change the toilet paper in the men's room. Don't expect too much more than that. Corporate calls the shots. Guys like him are there to enforce it.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:26 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:14 pm
MrTaterSalad wrote:

He'll change the lightbulb in his office and change the toilet paper in the men's room. Don't expect too much more than that. Corporate calls the shots. Guys like him are there to enforce it.
He probably won't be there long. I give him a year before some sort of calamity occurs, or, he gets a better offer. Even so, opportunities are limited. It ain't like the old days.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:50 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:26 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:14 pm
MrTaterSalad wrote:

He probably won't be there long. I give him a year before some sort of calamity occurs, or, he gets a better offer. Even so, opportunities are limited. It ain't like the old days.
I was just talking with my brother the other day about the biz. Remember the local ownership? Live jocks 6-10, 10-2, 2-6, 6-10, 10-2, 2-6? Getting the new record on before the guy up the dial? Pushing the request line? Talking about the record? Hitting the street with the promo team? Stealing the promo from right out under the competition's nose?

If not for Dave and Chuck in the AM, it would be ipod most of the day. The only FM really worth bothering with is WRIF.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic