Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Frank Beckmann retires after nearly 50 years

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
ascher2

Re: Frank Beckmann retires after nearly 50 years

Post by ascher2 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:04 pm

Is Tom Jordan moving over to WJR or not?

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:23 am

To Willie 108's point, what Ufer was to Theatre of the Mind in his Michigan football broadcasts, Beckmann was Ego on the Air.

I watched him enter the Comerica press box for Game Three of the ALDS against the Yankees in '06, where Ernie Harwell had been sitting with his back to the wall at a table, completely reserved and Beckmann called out while walking along, "Enjoy the game, Ernie!" Beyond it being a cheese move, given what must have gone on behind the scenes with Jim Long at WJR 15 years earlier, it did allow me in the moment to point out to a friend the similarities between Beckmann's dome and the trash can top on the receptable nearby.

Full credit given for the ability to post up and gain opportunity, I remain ever hopeful that better presenters arrive.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:28 pm

semihemi8 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:18 am
Any guesses as to who takes the 9-12 spot?
Ron Cameron

windsorjoe

Post by windsorjoe » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:47 pm

SixPlusOne wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:28 pm
semihemi8 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:18 am
Any guesses as to who takes the 9-12 spot?
Ron Cameron
Way to troll, buddy lol

Realist

Post by Realist » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:19 pm

Trophyhead wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:23 am
To Willie 108's point, what Ufer was to Theatre of the Mind in his Michigan football broadcasts, Beckmann was Ego on the Air.

I watched him enter the Comerica press box for Game Three of the ALDS against the Yankees in '06, where Ernie Harwell had been sitting with his back to the wall at a table, completely reserved and Beckmann called out while walking along, "Enjoy the game, Ernie!" Beyond it being a cheese move, given what must have gone on behind the scenes with Jim Long at WJR 15 years earlier, it did allow me in the moment to point out to a friend the similarities between Beckmann's dome and the trash can top on the receptable nearby.

Full credit given for the ability to post up and gain opportunity, I remain ever hopeful that better presenters arrive.
IIRC, didn’t Larry Sorensen (guy that got fired back in the 90’s from either Tigers TV or radio because of a drinking problem) say at one time that Beckman was alive only because murder was illegal? Larry apparently was badly backstabbed by Beckman

As I’ve said before, ego was apparent on air. Hang up on callers he disagreed with and were making valid points just so he could get the last word. This piece of 💩 won’t be missed on air at all

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:29 am

I never liked Frank Beckmann he sucked doing Tiger games for UPN50 and also doing Lions preseason games as well when UPN50 had it for a couple of years.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic