Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Gello out at 105.1 The Bounce

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Tj2116

Gello out at 105.1 The Bounce

Post by Tj2116 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:23 pm

From Gello’s Facebook page,

Today was my last day on 105.1 The Bounce. Definitely a tough day for me. Truthfully Beasley Media Group is one of the best broadcast/media companies on planet earth. It was amazing being blessed enough to partner with this ship!!!!!! I can’t express how much I appreciate the people of #Detroit for allowing me into your homes every morning!!! You’re the REAL MVP! H*** Thank you to Mac Edwards, Dom Theodore, and the Beasley family! I truly appreciate you all.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Gello out at 105.1 The Bounce

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:29 am

Interesting that Dom Theodore is consulting WMGC. Now, we know how Big Boy / Chunky got a job there (which didn't last long). He wasn't very good in mornings. In contrast, I thought Gello did a good job.

Format change forthcoming?

Or is Rickey Smiley's syndicated morning show coming to 105.1?

105.1 sounds like a half-dead radio station every time I turn it on. Many dayparts are automated. Very little DJ interaction with the audience.

The relatively new PD did add a lot of late 80's - mid 90's material to the playlist. Some of that stuff is welcome; some of it not so much.

If I were a betting man - I'd say the syndie morning show that 105.9 just dumped (Rickey Smiley) will reappear on 105.1.

Cinderella candidate - the wild & wacky Tom Jordan, formerly of WWJ! :hat

Cume wise, 105.1 is slightly ahead of WJLB and Mix 92.3 and well ahead of sister WDMK. In fact, 105.1 almost matches WRIF and has a slender lead over WYCD in that area! TSL is where 105.1 underachieves.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:57 am

I like 105.1 (which means, I'm sure, there's a format change imminent) but I can see why TSL is so low. You know you're usually moments away from hearing "Thong Song" or "Regulators". One thing I was afraid of was, once you've heard certain songs a couple times, the novelty would wear off. There would be quite a few "Oh wow!" moments, followed by "Okay, I've heard it, I'm good". We're not like boomers who need to hear the same 150 songs over and over. A playlist like this needs constant attention and rotation.

Not only do I like it because of what they play, but because it's the closest thing my generation has to a "classic hits" station. Those of us who like 90s rock/alternative are fucked. So I may as well enjoy the throwbacks.

Side note: Whatever happened to Russ Parr? I remember they did a spoof of TI's Rubberband Man with lyrics that went "I am the white man, born a Republican, got a golf club and a sandwich in my other hand" when it was still on 105.9 around 2005.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:03 am

Or maybe they'll take a page from Entercom and keep "The Bounce" and play fucking country music or big band like it is with Alt.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

whitebalance

Post by whitebalance » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:38 am

Corporate America buying stations they cannot afford to run. PATHETIC. YET, they always have money for consultants to tell us what liner card to read.

Detroiter0711

Post by Detroiter0711 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:40 pm

This is very interesting! It's kinda funny that they were doing a contest called Gello's Big Break: Talent Search and looking for people to submit their auditions videos to become Gello's next morning show co-host / social media contributor. The contest rules stated that the top ten contestants would be announced no later than last Friday at 3pm. Then at the end of Gello's show they announced that winners would be announced on Monday, Monday morning came around and reruns were being played and Gello was not in the studio. Then the station posted a photo of Gello online saying we have to wait a little bit longer until the next day. Then Zannie K announced the top ten, two contestants were current Beasley employees, former radio experience and only one contestant selected had the social media comments which is what the station asked people to do. Then come Friday, everything related to the contest and the Gello Show was removed from the stations website and social media.

I know radio and how they like to gimmick from time to time, but this is absolutely unprofessional. To sit here and drag this contest on knowing damn well that Gello is no longer on-air in Detroit is beyond atrocious. These were dedicated and passion contestants who put their dreams out here to only be destroyed and let down by not only 10.51 The Bounce but also Beasley Media Group. Come to find out Gello now can be heard on Power 983 in Arizona and weekend on-air talent Tracy Marie also chose to walk away from the station on her own accord, allegedly. The station simply used these contestants dreams to pull a publicity stunt and gain not only more listeners but also a ton of social media engagement.

option1

Post by option1 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:30 am

“Interesting that Dom Theodore is consulting WMGC. Now, we know how Big Boy / Chunky got a job there (which didn't last long). He wasn't very good in mornings. In contrast, I thought Gello did a good job.”

Dom has been a part of The Bounce since launch. He played/plays a significant role in the library, rotations, clocks etc.

Keep in mind, The Bounce launched during the time Beasley was set to acquire Greater Media. This was a Beasley plan/format all the way. Bounce was very similar to 96.5 in Boston; a Beasley owned Rhythmic AC that at the time was enjoying very good 25-54 numbers. While 96.5 played currents in their mix, Bounce stuck mainly to old school hip-hop and R&B. My belief is that the timing of Beasley’s acquisition at the time of launch played a significant role in the lack of care the station needed to continue with its historic debut. Now what you have is high turnover and a deteriorating audience that is typical of a struggling radio station.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:25 am

My belief is that the timing of Beasley’s acquisition at the time of launch played a significant role in the lack of care the station needed to continue with its historic debut.
I'm not so sure I agree with that. The station hired numerous, locally based personalities and was also fairly aggressive (by modern standards) on contesting.

Every single classic hip-hop station ever launched that saw big numbers out of the gate saw those numbers crash within 90 days of debut. Most never recovered. 105.1, on the other hand, did recover - after dumping the Pistons (who only remained on the station because of GREATER MEDIA's programming blunders) - and for many months was a top 5 station consistently in A18-34, A18-49 and A25-54, at times reaching first or second place in some of those demos. During that period, it was far & away the format's most successful station from a ratings standpoint anywhere in the country.

The station has long had an ungodly amount of DJ talent turnover. Reggie Reg, Suga Rae, Big Boy, Foolish, Shay Shay and others all had short-lived tenures.

Now, I will say in the post-COVID era, the "lack of care" statement certainly applies. And at the moment, it appears 105.1 is possibly being pillaged from a budgetary standpoint in order to prop up the other stations in the cluster.

Let's face it - the Director of FM Programming for Beasley Detroit, Scott Jameson, is a rock guy. And he's a relatively old white guy (mid 50s or older, I would guess). Is this person best equipped to determine what resources 105.1 needs to be successful? If he has a choice between spending $$$ on 94.7 vs. 101.1 vs. 105.1 vs. 105.9, I doubt 105.1 will fare well.

https://radioink.com/2020/07/29/beasley ... ming-slot/

I do like what he's doing at 101 WRIF, but I'm afraid 105.1 is possibly going to remain a neglected station with him in charge.

format this

Post by format this » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:53 pm

Thanks, MW. I now feel relatively old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

option1

Post by option1 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:47 am

MW the station launched in early July. They hired Al Payne as PD in September. And didn’t fully staff up until December with “Bounce Ambassadors.” That is a lifetime of neglect for a new station. Gotta’ be better prepared.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:27 am

You're right; the full airstaff should've been assembled sooner. I don't believe the station suffered any long term damage because of that delay, though. The numbers "bounced back" when the Pistons were dumped and a morning show was hired.

Tj2116

Post by Tj2116 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:29 am

“Zannie K” aka Zannie Glover is now PD and apparently has been since Dec! Even though he is listed as 3pm - 7pm, He was on air in the morning slot this morning! I would imagine he’s not the permanent replacement! Even though I realize people don’t generally stay long term at one station, seems the bounce has had a high turnover rate.

Zannie Glover Named Program Director of 105.1 The BOUNCE and 105.9 KISS-FM in Detroit. Beasley Media Group announces Zannie Glover has been named Program Director of 105.1 the BOUNCE and 105.9 KISS-FM in the Motor City. He will officially begin his new position on Tuesday, December 1, 2020.

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:41 am

Could the station become a Rhythmic AC? I sure wouldn't mind that!

Penny826

Post by Penny826 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:30 pm

Detroiter0711 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:40 pm
This is very interesting! It's kinda funny that they were doing a contest called Gello's Big Break: Talent Search and looking for people to submit their auditions videos to become Gello's next morning show co-host / social media contributor. The contest rules stated that the top ten contestants would be announced no later than last Friday at 3pm. Then at the end of Gello's show they announced that winners would be announced on Monday, Monday morning came around and reruns were being played and Gello was not in the studio. Then the station posted a photo of Gello online saying we have to wait a little bit longer until the next day. Then Zannie K announced the top ten, two contestants were current Beasley employees, former radio experience and only one contestant selected had the social media comments which is what the station asked people to do. Then come Friday, everything related to the contest and the Gello Show was removed from the stations website and social media.

I know radio and how they like to gimmick from time to time, but this is absolutely unprofessional. To sit here and drag this contest on knowing damn well that Gello is no longer on-air in Detroit is beyond atrocious. These were dedicated and passion contestants who put their dreams out here to only be destroyed and let down by not only 10.51 The Bounce but also Beasley Media Group. Come to find out Gello now can be heard on Power 983 in Arizona and weekend on-air talent Tracy Marie also chose to walk away from the station on her own accord, allegedly. The station simply used these contestants dreams to pull a publicity stunt and gain not only more listeners but also a ton of social media engagement.
I signed up for this board to respond to this message in particular. Tracy did leave on her own and is pursuing other opportunities out of state. Gello being let go was not planned, and came as a shock to everyone. It was a big loss to the station, and there must have been something terrible that happened behind the scenes for this to happen. It was not something that Beasley Detroit planned. The contest was not a gimmick at all, and the winner of that contest is now on the morning show with Zannie.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:32 am

Al Payne is a solid programmer, and should never have been removed as PD. The revolving door factor is not only detrimental to the talent, it's also detrimental to the listeners and advertisers.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic