Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Can the last one at DRQ turn out the lights?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Freqman

Can the last one at DRQ turn out the lights?

Post by Freqman » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:44 am

After losing their morning show host Krissy Williamson late last year to sports marketing and their program director Lance Tidwell last month in an unexplained ousting, DRQ is losing it's most well known personality Josh 'Bru' Brubaker (aka CEO of Radio Tik Tok) to Amp in LA: radioink.com/2021/03/22/amp-adds-brubaker/

That leaves just the morning co-host as local as the rest of the day is tracked out. How long until they pull the plug on this experiment at Cumulus?

MrTaterSalad

Re: Can the last one at DRQ turn out the lights?

Post by MrTaterSalad » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:24 pm

I thought their best shot at flipping was going to sports/talk when they still had the Lions radio broadcast rights. I know there are people here who dispute whether or not another sports station is needed or would work in Detroit, but I thought that was the best option at the time. Chances are though that Cume-less would have been too cheap to make it live and local all day. A syndicated, non-local show in the daypart would have bombed out for sure. Detroit Sports 105.1 proved that.

Deleted User 15502

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:28 pm

I think I've seen a few threads about this very topic, over my time of just lurking here. I very much doubt The Cloud is going to ditch country, it's a good fit with WDVD and WJR. After the Train wreck of 105.1 as sports, it seems to me that another station would honestly think twice before going in that direction.

option1

Post by option1 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:44 pm

Station flips are expensive. I think they’ll stay the course.

As for the building in general...seems pretty toxic. With GM Finateri suing anyone that wants to leave the sinking ship, crying “non-compete, non-compete”, I doubt they’ll be able to attract any worthwhile talent.

whitebalance

Post by whitebalance » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:19 pm

DRQ was always better with Lisa Lisa.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:57 pm

Well, the threats (perceived or not) from the GM sure don't seem to be preventing folks from leaving!

Freqman

Post by Freqman » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:54 am

option1 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:44 pm
Station flips are expensive. I think they’ll stay the course.
Yeah, I don't think they'll flip. As I mentioned on another thread, I think they'll just plug in Koffy and call it good. No one's left and I can't see Cumulus restaffing for the third best Country station in the market.

It's weird how badly they whiffed on this considering how good W4 sounds. I wouldn't be against a simulcast of that station either, it's got a big station feel even for Ann Arbor.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:27 pm

I'd love to see a W4 simulcast and bring it back to Detroit ala Wheelz coming back on a different frequency, but that won't happen. I would rebrand it x3 and if you're not calling it W4 Country, then call it something like Q-Country 93.1 with a "Today's Best Country and Your All Time Favorites" type of format. Play a mix of 70% gold, 30% current/recurrent mix from the mid 1980's Randy Travis era up to today. Bring in Chuck Edwards to be the PD/MD/Afternoon host and move Roxanne Steele over from weekends to middays and voicetrack evenings (I guess, ugh) and call it a day.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:35 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:57 pm
Well, the threats (perceived or not) from the GM sure don't seem to be preventing folks from leaving!
The problems in the Fisher Building are all due to management at the local level. That comes from sources on the inside, the few who remain.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic