Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

4 Country Stations in Detroit-Windsor

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Silvio Dante

Re: 4 Country Stations in Detroit-Windsor

Post by Silvio Dante » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:00 pm

I think Cumulus should drop Nash from DRQ and simulcast Ann Arbors 107.1 WQKL. That format isn't in Detroit and they have jocks that are familiar to Detroit listeners-Martin BanDyke and Kelly Brown.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:37 pm

Silvio Dante wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:00 pm
I think Cumulus should drop Nash from DRQ and simulcast Ann Arbors 107.1 WQKL. That format isn't in Detroit and they have jocks that are familiar to Detroit listeners-Martin BanDyke and Kelly Brown.
I have been told by numerous people on this board -- who have radio experience -- that AAA is a tough format to run in Detroit. 107one does well in Ann Arbor, because, well, it's Ann Arbor. I'd love for Cumulus to take the 107one playlist, tweak it for Detroit (throw in more classic rock, Motown, etc.) and drop it on 93.1. Will it happen? Doubtful.

I'm still stunned we had 93.9 The River for as long as we did, even though by the end it was an aural dumpster fire.

You know what I want? I want the Masons to blow up 107.5 and let someone run AAA there. I'd rather hear that over the garbage they play on there now. One can only hear so much "tick tick durr tick durr tick tick" shit before they lose their mind.

EDIT: Is Urban One still running 107.5? Can't remember if that LMA expired or not...

take this job and shove it

Silvio Dante

Post by Silvio Dante » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:21 pm

I would settle for having it as a HD2 station.

Deleted User 15506

Post by Deleted User 15506 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:37 pm

thatonedude wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:37 pm
Silvio Dante wrote:
I have been told by numerous people on this board -- who have radio experience -- that AAA is a tough format to run in Detroit. 107one does well in Ann Arbor, because, well, it's Ann Arbor. I'd love for Cumulus to take the 107one playlist, tweak it for Detroit (throw in more classic rock, Motown, etc.) and drop it on 93.1. Will it happen? Doubtful.

I'm still stunned we had 93.9 The River for as long as we did, even though by the end it was an aural dumpster fire.

You know what I want? I want the Masons to blow up 107.5 and let someone run AAA there. I'd rather hear that over the garbage they play on there now. One can only hear so much "tick tick durr tick durr tick tick" shit before they lose their mind.

EDIT: Is Urban One still running 107.5? Can't remember if that LMA expired or not...
The Mason’s will never get rid of WGPR, and the format will always be geared for the minority. All this talk about WGPR becoming all news or AAA or the station should be sold to a big corporation, is just never going to happen.

Freqman

Post by Freqman » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:32 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:53 pm
windsorjoe wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:44 pm
Last Detroit radio ratings had WYCD as #11 in the market. Why three other stations thought that county would be a ratings winner does baffle me. You would of got more ratings simulcasting some of these AM stations like WWWJ or WJR on FM.
Cumulus and Bell at least don't care about ratings. They just care about clearance for their corporate brands and/or programming. The cheaper they can run it, the better.
This is true, that's why I think 93.1 will stick around, they'll simply can the local talents, plug in Morning Koffy and track out the rest.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:29 pm

thatonedude wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:37 pm
Silvio Dante wrote:

It would be awesome if Cumulus duplicated what they're doing with 107.1 / 94.5 in West Michigan with 93.1. They already have the calls to call it "93.1 The Q - It's Different Here." Won't happen, though. As long as they have coverage for their corporate programming in Detroit, Cumulus probably wouldn't care if 93.1 pulled a 0.1. The dumpster fire will continue to burn.

Speaking of ""tick tick durr tick durr tick tick" shit," you get plenty of that from "country" radio these days, too.

I seem to recall in 1997-98, after WQRS flipped to The Edge, there was a rumor that the Masons would sell WGPR and the station would flip to classical. The sale didn't happen then, and I wouldn't expect a sale to happen now.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:41 pm

I'm really flattered that my description of shitty music's hi-hats sounding like broken sprinklers has caught on on the board. I have left my mark.

Related: fuck ALT 98.7. 1.6 share and they're doing a livestream with 24kGoldnsuirmeomHuNji or whatever the fuck his name is. They must like those shitty ratings.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:04 pm

RayQix wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:28 am
The signal for 106.7 bites from telegraph across to beech Daly and from about 8-1/2 down to about I-96

Makes it impossible to listen to mostly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that over a wide area, or just along I-96 on the West side of town?

I'm thinking there are RITOIE issues in that area, with several FM stations in a line along the freeway.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:30 am

2 x 103.5 - 100.3 = 106.7.

The proximity of the WMUZ and WNIC towers may be the culprit. The fact both stations run HD probably doesn't help matters, either. I know interference to CIDR near I-696 & Greenfield, for example, isn't quite as bad as usual whenever WKQI's HD exciter is temporarily turned off. (In CIDR's case, 2 x 95.5 - 97.1 = 93.9.)

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/co ... on-product

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:38 am

innate-in-you wrote:
RayQix wrote:
The signal for 106.7 bites from telegraph across to beech Daly and from about 8-1/2 down to about I-96

I'm thinking there are RITOIE issues in that area, with several FM stations in a line along the freeway.
106.7 is not just the car radio but all in my area west of Telegraph from 96-696.

How about the corporate gurus start asking us what we want to listen to?

Now there’s a change I’d believe in

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:46 am

RayQix wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:38 am
innate-in-you wrote:
RayQix wrote:

106.7 is not just the car radio but all in my area west of Telegraph from 96-696.

How about the corporate gurus start asking us what we want to listen to?

Now there’s a change I’d believe in

You mean they don't? This is an outrage. I am outraged.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:41 am

Hey, I used to like getting $40 to sit in a hotel conference room with 200 people and tell them what music I thought really sucked by circling little dots for 'overplayed POS', "hate it" , "like it", etc...

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:53 pm

I don't hear anything resembling country music on these stations.
I almost threw up when I turned on WYCD today and heard some auto tuned rap sounding song

Music is my life.

Deleted User 15525

Post by Deleted User 15525 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:22 pm

Detroit needs an Oldies station on FM. “The Greatest Hits of the 60’s and 70’s”.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:56 pm

Yes, agreed.

But we really need a classic country station.

And I don't want may more of the excuses as to why we can't have one.
If classic rock stations can play 50 year old songs, then there is no reason a classic country station can't play 30-40 year old songs

Music is my life.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic