Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

4 Country Stations in Detroit-Windsor

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 15525

Re: 4 Country Stations in Detroit-Windsor

Post by Deleted User 15525 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:30 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:56 pm
Yes, agreed.

But we really need a classic country station.

And I don't want may more of the excuses as to why we can't have one.
If classic rock stations can play 50 year old songs, then there is no reason a classic country station can't play 30-40 year old songs
Agreed. The excuse that the older demographic doesn’t buy anything and is not a buying demographic, is pure bullshit. Fact, the older demographic buys cars and property more so, than the younger demographic. And given the fact that the younger demographic, is not tuned into radio as much as the the other platforms the older demographic is still and will always tune in to traditional radio. So there’s no reason that a Classic Country or Oldies station should be exempt from the FM radio dial in Detroit or any other market.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:26 pm

It's a vicious cycle. Do the programming choices suck because no one listens anymore, or does no one listen anymore because the programming choices suck? Even at 36, I would love to have a real oldies station. If NOTHING else, just to break up the monotony.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 15525

Post by Deleted User 15525 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:39 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:26 pm
It's a vicious cycle. Do the programming choices suck because no one listens anymore, or does no one listen anymore because the programming choices suck? Even at 36, I would love to have a real oldies station. If NOTHING else, just to break up the monotony.
Amen, I think that Oldies could possibly surface on FM in Detroit. The question is when 2 years or 5 years from now, it could be anyone’s guess. Oldies could work if it’s done correctly and stick to 60’s and 70’s songs (from 1964- 1973)Leave the rest of the 70’s to WOMC.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:42 pm

With my luck, it would be an early Beatles tune, followed by Wayne Fontana, followed by the Supremes and then fucking MOTLEY CRUE.

-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:46 pm

I really wish CKWW had been brought to FM. Okay, maybe it's not PURE oldies, but it's the best bet we have, and 580 comes in like shit around here. It would have been a great choice instead of a fourth full market country station (don't even get me started on the fringe ones. Right here at home, in addition to those four, I also get B95, WITL, W4 and, if the conditions are right, sometimes 104.7. That can vary). The one that ISN'T reliable? Duke FM. Fuck me with a chainsaw 😡

-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 15525

Post by Deleted User 15525 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:01 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:46 pm
I really wish CKWW had been brought to FM. Okay, maybe it's not PURE oldies, but it's the best bet we have, and 580 comes in like shit around here. It would have been a great choice instead of a fourth full market country station (don't even get me started on the fringe ones. Right here at home, in addition to those four, I also get B95, WITL, W4 and, if the conditions are right, sometimes 104.7. That can vary). The one that ISN'T reliable? Duke FM. Fuck me with a chainsaw 😡
Agreed, CKWW would have been great on FM. The only problem with that is, it’s more than likely 88.7 would have become a Classic Hits format instead of an Oldies format. Most Oldies AM stations in Canada become Classic Hits when moving an Oldies format to FM, and I don’t understand why. What them idiots at Bell should have done is put Pure Country on 93.9 and Oldies on 88.7, they could actually sell advertising in combo a lot easier.

Deleted User 15502

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:37 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:42 pm
With my luck, it would be an early Beatles tune, followed by Wayne Fontana, followed by the Supremes and then fucking MOTLEY CRUE.
Not to go totally off topic, but the only Motley Crue I like is The 1994 album with John Corabi. Now other Motley gets wayyyy overplayed. Funny thing is, I thought of this forum today when I hit 106.7fm today, they were playing Boston "More then a feeling" and I thought to myself " haven't we evolved any?" "This again? "

I do agree Classic hits would of been a better choice for 88.7fm.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:12 am

Therein lies the rub. Even if you were 16 in 1976 upon release, that made this song 20 years old in 1996, when you were 36. I already remember it being over played then. We are now 25 years past that, making you 61 and that song 45 years old. So when does this change? And why is a 45 year old rock song cool, but not a 55 year old pop song then? I wanna meet whoever writes these rules. I'm 36 and I certainly don't have as many choices on FM radio then when my folks were this age.

-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 15502

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:08 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:12 am
Therein lies the rub. Even if you were 16 in 1976 upon release, that made this song 20 years old in 1996, when you were 36. I already remember it being over played then. We are now 25 years past that, making you 61 and that song 45 years old. So when does this change? And why is a 45 year old rock song cool, but not a 55 year old pop song then? I wanna meet whoever writes these rules. I'm 36 and I certainly don't have as many choices on FM radio then when my folks were this age.
Well I'm 41 and yeah... I hear ya. I worked at a place for 3 1/2 years and everyday always, WIOT 104.7 was on in part of the shop. Same songs over and over everyday. When I left that job, I said " I will never listen to that station again" and 16 years later I've kept the promise. WLLZ reminds me of WIOT back in the early 2000s. Sadly, a lot of these crust bucket songs "test well". I may start a thread in the music section about that.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:58 pm

Well yeah, if you're only offered Mcdonald's, Burger King and Wendy's, those are the places you choose to eat. Same thing with music testing. When you only test the same handful of songs every time, of course they're gonna test well. Do a music test of album cuts and lost singles for secondary songs. You can't tell me that, with thousands of millions of songs recorded and released over all these years, that only 200 or so want to be heard. Not buying it.

-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic