Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Two major stories the Detroit media seem to be ignoring

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Turkeytop

Re: Two major stories the Detroit media seem to be ignoring

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:24 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:44 pm
Story #1:
City of Detroit revenue. With so many previously Detroit-based workers working remotely in 2020, undoubtedly income tax collection from nonresidents will take a big hit. Perhaps some folks who were tardy in stopping city tax withholding won't bother filing a city income tax return to claim a refund? Tough to say for sure, but I suspect the city budget will have a big hole that needs to be filled. I also think some folks who left in 2020 won't be returning anytime soon. Employers realize forcing their employees to work downtown on a regular basis is a competitive disadvantage!

I've yet to see any sort of comprehensive reporting on what is sure to be a major loss in income tax revenue for the City of Detroit. Why are stations ignoring this issue?

Story #2:
The disappointing sales figures for the Ford Escape, which was redesigned in late 2019. 2020 models were still being delivered to dealer lots as recently as last month! Those that were previously delivered to dealers in many cases have been sitting around for 120, 150 or even 180 days!

First, the new Explorer launch was a total clusterfuck. Now, it looks like the Ford Escape is getting the shit beaten out of it with regard to sales and is a dud. It's only got a modest lead over the Mazda CX-5 - a far superior vehicle, I might add - despite the fact Ford dealerships outnumber Mazda dealerships many times over.

https://fordauthority.com/2020/10/ford- ... r-2020-q3/
My next vehicle might be an Escape. My last 3 have been Chevy Equinox. They were build right here in Ontario, about 20 miles from here. But GM has decided to move production of the Equinox to Mexico.

The Escape may not be built in Canada, but at least it's Union built in North America. It's a nice vehicle too.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:46 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:24 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Story #1:
City of Detroit revenue. With so many previously Detroit-based workers working remotely in 2020, undoubtedly income tax collection from nonresidents will take a big hit. Perhaps some folks who were tardy in stopping city tax withholding won't bother filing a city income tax return to claim a refund? Tough to say for sure, but I suspect the city budget will have a big hole that needs to be filled. I also think some folks who left in 2020 won't be returning anytime soon. Employers realize forcing their employees to work downtown on a regular basis is a competitive disadvantage!

I've yet to see any sort of comprehensive reporting on what is sure to be a major loss in income tax revenue for the City of Detroit. Why are stations ignoring this issue?

Story #2:
The disappointing sales figures for the Ford Escape, which was redesigned in late 2019. 2020 models were still being delivered to dealer lots as recently as last month! Those that were previously delivered to dealers in many cases have been sitting around for 120, 150 or even 180 days!

First, the new Explorer launch was a total clusterfuck. Now, it looks like the Ford Escape is getting the shit beaten out of it with regard to sales and is a dud. It's only got a modest lead over the Mazda CX-5 - a far superior vehicle, I might add - despite the fact Ford dealerships outnumber Mazda dealerships many times over.

My next vehicle might be an Escape. My last 3 have been Chevy Equinox. They were build right here in Ontario, about 20 miles from here. But GM has decided to move production of the Equinox to Mexico.

The Escape may not be built in Canada, but at least it's Union built in North America. It's a nice vehicle too.
Sound a tad on the lemon fresh side to me...

48125er

Post by 48125er » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:18 am

My parents have a 2018 explorer it literally feels like a 2012 In it, the transmission shifts HORRIBLE. the 3.5 v6 is a ticking time bomb with the water pump
In regards to the escape, I literally can’t remember ththe last time I’ve noticed one

Detroit will probably take a H*** money plunge along with their crumbling school system to I’d say 2009 levels.
Last edited by 48125er on Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:19 am

Rate This wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:46 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:24 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Story #1:

Story #2:

Sound a tad on the lemon fresh side to me...
I DRIVE A DODGE STRATUS

kc8yqq

Post by kc8yqq » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:10 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:13 am
I will strongly consider purchasing my next vehicle, and it most likely will not be a Ford. I'm leaning Mazda, Toyota or Acura.
I suggest you consider Subaru as well. My 2004 WRX (original owner for almost 18 years) has over 582K miles on it. My 2006 Baja (bought used) has over 208K. Both are good reliable vehicles. My regrets with the Baja is it is an automatic and no turbo.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:21 am

Subaru cars were built better in the timeframes you mention.

Turbo + boxer style engine is not a good formula, I suspect. Not a recipe for long-term reliability, generally speaking.

Not a fan of the fact a gigantic touch screen controls everything, including climate, in the latest Outback model. Too bad, because I generally like the dimensions and functionality of the Outback. Subaru's infotainment firmware has been known to be glitchy in the past.

The Forester? Nice interior; ugly exterior. Middle-aged women who listen to NPR and shop at Trader Joes seem to like those vehicles.

Crosstrek? Too small for me, but if I were in the market for a subcompact, it'd definitely be on my short list.

The non-turbo 4 cylinder Outback is too weak (0 to 60 time is sluggish) but is sure to be far more reliable over the long-term.

The three row Ascent, which was moronically given the highest score by far of all vehicles of all classes rated by Consumer Reports in 2019, turned out to have an epidemic of issues. In 2020, I believe it didn't even make their "recommended" list!

I'll just add - do not buy a used Subaru with a V6. That engine has been discontinued for good reason.

To Turkeytop - Ford's Oakville, ON plant generally has a good reputation for vehicle quality. My current Edge ST and prior Edge SEL were each built there.

zzand

Post by zzand » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:40 am

An ex had a Subaru she totally loved, it seems people who own them love them with cult like feelings. Anyhow she put 215 thousand miles on it but also put 7 head gaskets in it. I was a passenger in it once and pointed out the check engine light was lit, she said Subaru owners only worry when it's not lit. I have never considered one for purchase. FYI she now drives a Honda

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:21 am

zzand wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:40 am
An ex had a Subaru she totally loved, it seems people who own them love them with cult like feelings. Anyhow she put 215 thousand miles on it but also put 7 head gaskets in it. I was a passenger in it once and pointed out the check engine light was lit, she said Subaru owners only worry when it's not lit. I have never considered one for purchase. FYI she now drives a Honda
7 head gaskets in 215k? Did she neglect the car at all?

zzand

Post by zzand » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:54 am

That car was her baby. She took better care of it than some people do their kids. Subaru went through a period when some of their engines liked to blow head gaskets like some people drink beer.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:47 am

zzand wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:54 am
That car was her baby. She took better care of it than some people do their kids. Subaru went through a period when some of their engines liked to blow head gaskets like some people drink beer.
Wow... that’s incredible. Hopefully some of that was under warranty.. those head gasket repairs aren’t exactly cheap.

zzand

Post by zzand » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:56 am

Only 1 of them but another was done free as it was less than a month between blowouts. The dealership blamed that on a bad new head gasket so they replaced it for free.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:40 am

zzand wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:56 am
Only 1 of them but another was done free as it was less than a month between blowouts. The dealership blamed that on a bad new head gasket so they replaced it for free.
So even the replacements were really no better. Do you know about how much a head gasket runs for one of those?

zzand

Post by zzand » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:51 am

I think she said around 1300 per replacement.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:36 am

After the second head gasket was replaced, there should have been some analysis to determine WHY. Head gaskets don't just "blow", there has to be some flaw that is allowing them to be compromised. One could be poor machining or prep of the surfaces, which can be fixed. Another could be engine knock caused by poor engine tune (which can be alleviated just by avoiding 87 octane gas). Further, there are some machining steps that could make the gasket withstand abuse by adding o-rings (which they do on a lot of turbocharged or supercharged engines). Definitely fixable problems.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:50 pm

It's the engine design itself. There are a couple decent YouTube videos on this topic that get very geeky / analytical.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic