Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Two major stories the Detroit media seem to be ignoring

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Two major stories the Detroit media seem to be ignoring

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:58 am

Not sure if this problem was corrected on fords, but my Aunt has a Ford Flex(don't know the year) and she doesn't care much for the touch screen controls on it.
She might have the first version of Sync 2 (also known as MyFord Touch). Very buggy, from what I've read.

The updated version of Sync 2, which can be downloaded to a USB flash drive and then installed, works well although it is does not offer many features. No Apple CarPlay, no Android Auto, no in-dash app widgets.

Sync 3 - from version 3.1 to 3.3 - is buggy as hell when toggling between audio sources when one of the sources involves WiFi. RDS when listening to FM radio also malfunctions a lot on 3.3. Version 3.4 fixed most if not all of those issues. Usually, Ford vehicles from model year 2016 and up have Sync 3.

As far as the Nissan Rogue is concerned, proper maintenance is crucially importance. Jatco CVTs (continuously variable transmissions) are known for becoming problematic once cars start to show some age.

Deleted User 15502

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:08 pm

08 Honda Civic(was purchased by prior owner in 07). It is paid for and still runs well, despite having some issues. GPS went out on it(1300$ to fix), bought a used garmen instead) and at times some of the power stuff is finicky. More of the wanting VS probably needing something newer at this point.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:13 pm

Heathcliff wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:08 pm
08 Honda Civic(was purchased by prior owner in 07). It is paid for and still runs well, despite having some issues. GPS went out on it(1300$ to fix), bought a used garmen instead) and at times some of the power stuff is finicky. More of the wanting VS probably needing something newer at this point.
Interesting, I can certainly relate to electrical issues, my 08 Buick Lucerne is rather goofy at times. I have the feeling somebody left the windows down in a rainstorm at some point.

Deleted User 15502

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:24 pm

A now EX-friend of mine had a 1998 Ford Taurus in for a number of years, one day he left the moon roof open and a rain storm hit. After that, the car was never quite right in that regard. The radio display would blank out at times and the turn signals would not work sometimes. I had 2 Buick Century's, a 1990 and later a 1994, both were glitchy when it came to the electrics. Weird.

My dad had an Audi A4, sometimes it wouldn't start for some reason, but if you unhooked the battery and hooked it back in, it was fine.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:16 pm

Heathcliff wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:36 pm
You can get a lemon with anything. I knew of someone who had a Toyota Camry, which is like the gold standard of cars. His was a piece junk, everything rattled in that car! It was a 2002 if I recall, which the 02-04 wasn't a good generation of those. Now a 92-96, those were heaven. On the flip side, I knew someone who had a 2006(I think) Hyundai Accent and it was great. So you just never know.

My parents had a 2008 Trailblazer prior to The Rouge, nice vehicle but it seemed when something went wrong, it was awfully costly. Can't remember what happened, but something major started acting up and they ended up trading it for the rouge. They go down south in The Winter and spend the warmer months in Michigan. So, they wanted an SUV to take things from down south to Michigan, also something that's comfortable to travel in.
My grandparents bought the 92 Camry that car lasted until 2010 my mom got it when her car broke down in March of 2003. The car engine in the Camry had a crack in it finally broke down and my mom had to walk home the dealership always wanted that Camry and bought a used car a Scion which was a stick she bought a Rav4 09 not many miles on that SUV I think it's an 09.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Deleted User 15502

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:51 am

Ah ok, nice. Scion wasn't long for this world, interesting idea but it never really stood our. The 97-01 Camry's I always tell people to avoid the 4cyl because they have this tendency to build up oil sludge. It was a big manufacturing defect.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:59 am

Not sure why there is car talk here, but I will be willing to discuss it. I worked at GM from 2016 to 2019 in escalated customer care. The Trax isn't that bad, but it is underpowered just like the Buick Encore was. If I was you, I would encourage her to get a Regal that is 3 or 4 years old. Only issue is oil consumption from time to time. Whatever you do, make sure she stays away from the 2012 to 2013 Cruze. They have on average at least 6-7 recalls. Bad car. If she wants to really penny pinch, I recommend a 2009 Saturn Aura or Vue. GM dealers are required to service them even though Saturn is no more. You just have to find an old lady who gave up driving to find one well taken care of. Worth it!
Last edited by MotorCityRadioFreak on Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:02 am

Oh, and also avoid the 2014 Silverado if looking at trucks. They have a notorious vibration issue. Ironically, it was around 2014 that the car manufacturing side of GM got better overall. The trucks....not so much.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:12 pm

I miss Saturn. They were starting to make some nice cars and SUVs.

Deleted User 15502

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:37 pm

Saturn was a cool idea but it never turned a profit. By the early mid 2000s, they got away from there roots and became just another division that sold rebadged Chevys. Big mistake was 86'ing was The SL1 & 2 for the Ion(junk!), The SL's/SC's were built like race cars and were pretty durable. The plastic body pieces would shatter in accidents but underneath the car held up well. The Saturn L100/200/300 was a very reliable car and for a time they were sought out as used cars. Later The Aura was a pretty nice car, but sadly the end of Saturn was near by that time.

Also, The dealers were nice to deal with, they didn't push stuff down your throat you didn't want. The only thing was you couldn't do was haggle the price down but that was part of the no pressure environment. I bought my 94 Buick from a Saturn Dealer, even though the car was "as is" they fixed an issue with it free of charge, before I officially drove it off the lot.

It's obvious I'm a car nerd ;) and I've talked way too much.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:52 pm

Saturns were a little pricey. I owned an L200 for three and a half years. Nice looking car for the era. Ground clearance was a tad low, wheels were smallish, and the steering wheel wasn't the most ergonomic. Engine and transmission seemed decent. Car sucked ass in slush and snow even though it was FWD; the single disc CD player would also skip whenever driving over a bump. It did offer a decent amount of trunk space, AC worked great, and AM and FM reception and fidelity were both outstanding on the stock radio.

Two annoyances about the car:
- service engine light came on three times during my ownership. Some stupid emissions sensor was causing the light to trip. The sensor was bad.
- local oil change places never seemed to have oil filters on hand. I always had to bring my own filter to the quick oil change joint! LOL

Some interesting quirks (channeling Doug DeMuro):
-some design and component elements were borrowed from Opel and Saab
-the cars were built in Delaware at a regular GM plant, not at the Saturn plant in Spring Hill, TN.

Deleted User 15502

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:38 pm

I had a 96 GMC sonoma truck at one point, Awful! If you didn't seal the gas cap "just right", the light came on. Also, if you used BP gas in it, it ran terribly. Did not know GM had a plant in Delaware.

Oh yes, I watch Doug Demuro and retro Motorweek episodes all the time.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:55 pm

Did not know GM had a plant in Delaware.

I read somewhere that Bob Marley worked there.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:24 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:52 pm
Saturns were a little pricey. I owned an L200 for three and a half years. Nice looking car for the era. Ground clearance was a tad low, wheels were smallish, and the steering wheel wasn't the most ergonomic. Engine and transmission seemed decent. Car sucked ass in slush and snow even though it was FWD; the single disc CD player would also skip whenever driving over a bump. It did offer a decent amount of trunk space, AC worked great, and AM and FM reception and fidelity were both outstanding on the stock radio.

Two annoyances about the car:
- service engine light came on three times during my ownership. Some stupid emissions sensor was causing the light to trip. The sensor was bad.
- local oil change places never seemed to have oil filters on hand. I always had to bring my own filter to the quick oil change joint! LOL

Some interesting quirks (channeling Doug DeMuro):
-some design and component elements were borrowed from Opel and Saab
-the cars were built in Delaware at a regular GM plant, not at the Saturn plant in Spring Hill, TN.
My Saab has a thing with service lights coming on in error. These cars will nickel and dime you to death, but they have the best handling of any car I have ever driven. Smooth ride except for when on the freeway. They don't track straight there as well. Have had the tires changed, alignment done twice, as well as struts replaced, yet my issue persists. GM dealerships will do oil changes but nothing more to the Saab. I have three choices to go to get my work done: 9-3 Auto in New Haven, Mack garage in the lower east side of Detroit, or Ann Arbor. That's the worst part of owning this car. Hard to get serviced as an orphan. My 2009 9-3 was built in Sweden but designed right here in Warren.

Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic