Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Local TV stations blow the Christmas Eve & Christmas Day weather forecast

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Local TV stations blow the Christmas Eve & Christmas Day weather forecast

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:48 am

Paul Gross at Loco 4 said little to no snow for west siders last night. Showed a model with a 0.5 inch or less in total accumulation beginning last night through tonight. He did predict the possibility of 1 to 3 inches of accumulation immediately near the riverfront and along the shoreline of Lake St. Clair.

Similarly, channel 7 predicted little accumulation except for areas closer to Pt. Huron.

HOLY CRAP are these clowns incompetent!

Light snow blanketed all of SE Michigan last night. The roads are dicey. I hope no one based their Christmas Day travel plans on the way-off weather forecasts found on local TV.

I give credit to the local National Weather Service! Often, they are just as bad as local TV, but in this instance, they got it right. Around 4PM yesterday afternoon, their forecast update called for 1 to 2 inches of snow across much of SE Michigan by this morning.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Bobbert

Re: Local TV stations blow the Christmas Eve & Christmas Day weather forecast

Post by Bobbert » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:23 am

Anyway, it was nice to wake up to a white Christmas, especially this year. The Channel 7 forecast that I saw last night at about 10:30 predicted this pretty well.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:39 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:48 am
Paul Gross at Loco 4 said little to no snow for west siders last night. Showed a model with a 0.5 inch or less in total accumulation beginning last night through tonight. He did predict the possibility of 1 to 3 inches of accumulation immediately near the riverfront and along the shoreline of Lake St. Clair.

Similarly, channel 7 predicted little accumulation except for areas closer to Pt. Huron.

HOLY CRAP are these clowns incompetent!
It has been known since about 1955 that it is futile to attempt forecasting the weather more than three days in advance.

For all you (and we) know, the weather forecast failed, because a butterfly in Bakersfield batted his wings twice instead of once last Sunday.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:44 am

I'm referring to a forecast he made on the 6PM news last night for last night & today.

Paul Gross' way off forecast is still prominently posted on the wdiv.com home page:
Aside from what I discussed above, all the rest of us should see on our Christmas Eve is perhaps a few flurries -- nothing that will coat the ground. Lows will drop into the upper teens (-7 degrees Celsius), and wind should diminish to 10 to 15 mph from the west.

Tonight’s sunset is at 5:06 p.m.

Christmas Day
Mostly cloudy skies will start our Christmas Day, and then snow showers should increase during the afternoon…particularly later in the day into Christmas night. With some luck, perhaps we can get enough of a dusting to give us a pseudo-white end of Christmas! Highs in the mid to upper 20s (-3 to -2 degrees Celsius), with a west wind at 10 to 15 mph putting wind chills in the low teens (-11 degrees Celsius).
LMAO! I'll likely be snow blowing the "dusting" and "nothing that will coat the ground" later today.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

jsf

Post by jsf » Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:50 am

It couldn't be worse than channel 2 this morning,the weather guy was dressed in a blue plaid suit with snowflakes all over and Lee Thomas still can't read a lick, makes my eyes and ears hurt to watch.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:43 am

It's because the FAKE NEWS MEDIA and DEMOCRATS are in cahoots to LIE about weather so we won't go out and celebrate Christmas!!! The LYING LIBS are always lying about something, this time it's WEATHER! Well we won't fall for it! I'm wearing shorts and a tank top to my 100 person family get-together!!!

Oh, erm, I'm sorry...spending too much time here.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:42 pm

My neighbor was snow blowing earlier.....

The 2” snowfall that covered things could have been shoveled.

It’s like whatever reason the snow gotta get cleared...... let’s use something way overkill to do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:35 pm

I'm gonna side with your neighbor. If one has a snowblower, why not use it? This isn't thin, powdery snow. The stuff that fell last night had high moisture content.

I will be cracking out my snowblower either this evening or tomorrow morning.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:28 am

At least 3 inches are now on the ground from this event. Remember, Paul Gross was calling for a dusting.

One of the worst snowfall forecasts I've seen in my time here.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:07 am

Several of the stations said "not much accumulation... a dusting to maybe a half inch. I went out mid-day to clear off the ~1.5 inches we got thinking that was going to be about it. A couple hours later you could hardly tell I did anything.

format this

Post by format this » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:21 pm

FWIW, over in my area, 6-12” was called for, being in the “prime” lake effect area. Nope. Got 3” at best. Wx in MI is tricky... thank the lakes for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:27 pm

Most areas in Metro Detroit saw between 2 and 3.5 inches total accumulation; there was more than that toward Port Huron and the eastern Thumb.

Storm total for Metro Airport was 3 inches.

I couldn't find any snowfall totals when flipping between local newscasts last night & this morning. Gee, I wonder why? I guess they want to disguise how wrong their forecasts were! LOL

(The below link should display totals from the 12/24 & 12/25 system through at least this afternoon.)

https://www.weather.gov/source/crh/snowmap.html?sid=dtx

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:18 am

The locals said about 2 to 4 inches for Thur & Friday closer to the event was when they say totals about 3 days & beyond they don't really say otherwise. The lakeshore got the hardest hit with some getting 6 to 9 inches of snow otherwise they were way off Wood TV, WWMT & Fox17 as I don't watch WZZM.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

blizzard

Post by blizzard » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:06 pm

That is why they always give a range of total amounts.
Sometimes it's more.
Sometimes it's less.
Sometimes . . . it rains . . .
:hat

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:33 am

Weather Channel said flurries, so it seems like everyone messed this forecast up.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic