Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

89X Memories

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
radioandtventhusiast

Re: 89X Memories

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:56 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:57 pm
I remember hearing "Skater Boi" by Avril Lavigne and "Falling Away from Me" by KoRn in the same set of music circa 2000 or 2001. They were kind of fucked up sounding back then - too much crappy Canadian pop music mixed in with the good stuff.

I remember frequent signal & audio issues over the past decade, promoting people to morning drive based on seniority as opposed to talent, and Vince Cannova using the same annoying music bed for several years and offering very little in the way of interesting content during stopsets in his last several years with the station. I was happy when he departed. In old airchecks from the 90's, he sounded much more interesting. What the fuck happened with his on-air approach?

I remember lispy Jay Hudson doing evenings then afternoons and running the station into the ground from a music standpoint by playing Pop Evil and Shinedown every five minutes.

I remember Holly Hutton sounding like she just took twenty happy pills every time she cracked the mic (she is a far better broadcaster today).

I remember being annoyed by no-talent artists such as My Chemical Romance receiving frequent airplay.

I suspect the best days of the station were in the mid to late 90's, which I could not enjoy since I resided in West Michigan at the time and online streaming audio wasn't yet widely available.

For me, the station was generally listenable the past couple years, and I thought it sounded really good musically from about 2003 to maybe 2008.
I wonder if corporate told Vince to change in his last few years?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: 89X Memories

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:43 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:57 pm
I remember hearing "Skater Boi" by Avril Lavigne and "Falling Away from Me" by KoRn in the same set of music circa 2000 or 2001. They were kind of fucked up sounding back then - too much crappy Canadian pop music mixed in with the good stuff.

I remember frequent signal & audio issues over the past decade, promoting people to morning drive based on seniority as opposed to talent, and Vince Cannova using the same annoying music bed for several years and offering very little in the way of interesting content during stopsets in his last several years with the station. I was happy when he departed. In old airchecks from the 90's, he sounded much more interesting. What the fuck happened with his on-air approach?

I remember lispy Jay Hudson doing evenings then afternoons and running the station into the ground from a music standpoint by playing Pop Evil and Shinedown every five minutes.

I remember Holly Hutton sounding like she just took twenty happy pills every time she cracked the mic (she is a far better broadcaster today).

I remember being annoyed by no-talent artists such as My Chemical Romance receiving frequent airplay.

I suspect the best days of the station were in the mid to late 90's, which I could not enjoy since I resided in West Michigan at the time and online streaming audio wasn't yet widely available.

For me, the station was generally listenable the past couple years, and I thought it sounded really good musically from about 2003 to maybe 2008.
To be fair, alternative turned emo with AFI, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, and Panic at the Disco around 2006. I know everyone was bitching about 89X around that time, but it was the newest biggest alternative at the time other than Foo Fighters having their resurgence and System of a Down being popular due to the war.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic