Acceptable registrations in the queue through January 10 at 7:30a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

RIP 89X

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
User avatar
MotorCityRadioFreak
Posts: 2304
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:26 am
Location: Worn, MI

Re: RIP 89X

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:54 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:35 pm
I am 36. I am also delighted 580 survived (at least for now). I am listening to it right now while I work, as I typically do.

(As I was preparing to "tape" the 89X and 93.9 switch on an old tape and tape recorder because my computer doesn't have a line-in input anymore, the tape I grabbed had an old recording of '580 Memories' with live DJ's and announcers from about 20-25 years ago. Was interesting to hear. I didn't tape over it.)
You are 36 and listen to oldies? Wow. I am 37 and hated whenever my dad flipped on 104.3 in the 90s. LOL.


"I think that those who would try to make you feel less than who you are, I think that's the greatest evil."- Fred Rogers
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."-Winston Churchill

dm00n
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:51 am
Location: Metro Detroit

Re: RIP 89X

Post by dm00n » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:03 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:20 pm
Why the hell did we go from 1 country station to 4? How can Detroit sustain them all? I don't get these moves.
It could be a desperation move. Stores stock country discs because that demo still buys them. Maybe they also are one of the last strongholds of FM radio.



fuzzpower
Posts: 937
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:37 pm

Re: RIP 89X

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:06 pm

I wasn’t even born when some of the songs on 580 debuted, yet still listen and enjoy. It’s the only good thing about today’s news.

I am out of town so I haven’t heard the changes personally, but I know for sure I won’t be listening to either. The 88.7 preset will have to be changed.

In my area, that now means 88.7, 93.1, 95.9, 99.5, 102.9, and 630AM are country. If not for that translator 99.9 would also be there. That’s a bit much, granted not all serve the same area.



radioandtventhusiast
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:08 pm

Re: RIP 89X

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:10 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:35 pm
I am 36. I am also delighted 580 survived (at least for now). I am listening to it right now while I work, as I typically do.

(As I was preparing to "tape" the 89X and 93.9 switch on an old tape and tape recorder because my computer doesn't have a line-in input anymore, the tape I grabbed had an old recording of '580 Memories' with live DJ's and announcers from about 20-25 years ago. Was interesting to hear. I didn't tape over it.)
I'm 22 and love the oldies too, so I'm glad the format lives another day on 580. I bet with no jocks, and automation, it's cheap to run.



rushbuzz1013
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:06 pm

Re: RIP 89X

Post by rushbuzz1013 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:11 pm

I don't wish ill will on Detroit radio, but these changes over recent years have fortified my shift to SiriusXM and podcasts.



User avatar
BFSEsq
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:51 pm
Location: Ypsilanti
Contact:

Re: RIP 89X

Post by BFSEsq » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:13 pm

This is officially the weirdest day in Detroit radio that I can personally remember. When was the last time there were THREE format flips simultaneously?! Just crazy.

Country? COUNTRY? FFS. Goodbye, 88.7. Dumb, dumb, dumb.



Toledo Radio Died
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:57 pm
Location: Dayton, Ohio

Re: RIP 89X

Post by Toledo Radio Died » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:14 pm

Sad to see 89X go, another station from my childhood bites the dust. This is where many of us heard so many fantastic bands in the 90s like; Alice In Chains, STP, Pearl Jam, Bush, RHCP, Live and Foo Fighters. R.I.P. 89X!
I have to agree with all of you about another CHR/Country station coming to the area... Seriously!!
If 92.7, 93.1, 95.9, 99.5, 102.9 and 99.9 swimming up from Toledo isn’t enough?!
Definitely will miss the ‘time work café’ and ‘Saturday night time warp’, however Detroit Metro/Windsor definitely could use another CHR, understanding it’s a Canadian station but still... 96.3 is ok but I was VERY disappointed two years ago when 98.7 flipped to Soft AC leaving Detroit with awful sTATION 955. :barf
Will miss ya ‘93.9 The River’, will be welcoming ‘93.9 Virgin Radio’, could’ve give it a better name though.
Now hearing that 98.7 will become ‘ALT 98.7’ definitely better than The Breeze, never been into sappy Soft AC stations.



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4763
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: RIP 89X

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:50 pm

I turned 98.7 back on a little while ago. Hearing some decent gold and after adjusting speaker settings, audio now sounds pretty good.

I won't completely write off this station; might be good enough for preset #6 in the car (same one the Breeze occupied before going Xmas music).


Tesla cars are overpriced rolling shitboxes on wheels.

User avatar
Musicrewired
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:04 pm
Location: Right here on the screen

Re: RIP 89X

Post by Musicrewired » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:59 pm

I liked 89X back in the 90's - where else would I have heard Bran Van 3000's "Drinking In L.A."? I haven't listened in years, however.

I'm another that will be glad that 580 survives as it's been. I've tried streaming it lately on my Echo, and it's not been available every day, however, including today.



thatonedude
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:39 am
Location: Ypsilanti

Re: RIP 89X

Post by thatonedude » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:17 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:I turned 98.7 back on a little while ago. Hearing some decent gold and after adjusting speaker settings, audio now sounds pretty good.

I won't completely write off this station; might be good enough for preset #6 in the car (same one the Breeze occupied before going Xmas music).
Same. I’m pleasantly surprised.

Wondering if this is locally programmed or not...then again Entercom has been taking pages from iHeart’s playbook as of late...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Take anything people say with a grain of salt, a lime wedge, and maybe a bottle of tequila.

User avatar
MotorCityRadioFreak
Posts: 2304
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:26 am
Location: Worn, MI

Re: RIP 89X

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:20 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:50 pm
I turned 98.7 back on a little while ago. Hearing some decent gold and after adjusting speaker settings, audio now sounds pretty good.

I won't completely write off this station; might be good enough for preset #6 in the car (same one the Breeze occupied before going Xmas music).
I mean...if you consider Jimmy Eat World and "Stacey's Mom" gold....


"I think that those who would try to make you feel less than who you are, I think that's the greatest evil."- Fred Rogers
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."-Winston Churchill

stopnswop2
Posts: 2781
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:08 pm
Location: Novi, MI
Contact:

Re: RIP 89X

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:21 pm

I don't think 93.9 understands the concept of CHR.
Every like 3 songs there is a random rap song that is 10-20 years old.


Music is my life.

thatonedude
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:39 am
Location: Ypsilanti

RIP 89X

Post by thatonedude » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:22 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:50 pm
I turned 98.7 back on a little while ago. Hearing some decent gold and after adjusting speaker settings, audio now sounds pretty good.

I won't completely write off this station; might be good enough for preset #6 in the car (same one the Breeze occupied before going Xmas music).
I mean...if you consider Jimmy Eat World and "Stacey's Mom" gold....
Those songs are almost 20 years old.

I can’t believe I just said that...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Take anything people say with a grain of salt, a lime wedge, and maybe a bottle of tequila.

User avatar
MotorCityRadioFreak
Posts: 2304
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:26 am
Location: Worn, MI

Re: RIP 89X

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:24 pm

Musicrewired wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:59 pm
I liked 89X back in the 90's - where else would I have heard Bran Van 3000's "Drinking In L.A."? I haven't listened in years, however.

I'm another that will be glad that 580 survives as it's been. I've tried streaming it lately on my Echo, and it's not been available every day, however, including today.
Yep. Don't forget the Sneaker Pimps either.


"I think that those who would try to make you feel less than who you are, I think that's the greatest evil."- Fred Rogers
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."-Winston Churchill

User avatar
MotorCityRadioFreak
Posts: 2304
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:26 am
Location: Worn, MI

Re: RIP 89X

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:26 pm

thatonedude wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:22 pm
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:50 pm
I turned 98.7 back on a little while ago. Hearing some decent gold and after adjusting speaker settings, audio now sounds pretty good.

I won't completely write off this station; might be good enough for preset #6 in the car (same one the Breeze occupied before going Xmas music).
I mean...if you consider Jimmy Eat World and "Stacey's Mom" gold....
Those songs are almost 20 years old.

I can’t believe I just said that...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually know a 25 year old that likes lots of older alternative. There is hope for that generation yet.


"I think that those who would try to make you feel less than who you are, I think that's the greatest evil."- Fred Rogers
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."-Winston Churchill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic