Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

RIP 89X

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
TomSanders

Re: RIP 89X

Post by TomSanders » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:20 pm

Something like Absolute Radio (UK) would be great. "Through The Decades" on their late night, our early evening, is excellent.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:23 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:40 pm
I'm hearing rumblings that CKWW is changing also. If so, that seems to support the idea of a Classic Hits or Adult Hits format on one of the two FM's.
As for 580's new format, my gut feeling is TSN Radio 580.
I'm surprised 580 is still around as an oldies station today. It's been on autopilot for 5 years now.

TSN Radio has been suggested before.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:23 pm

thatonedude wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:17 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:53 pm
Right in the childhood, man.

Well, alternative rock fell out in the early to mid 00s. Then they tried doing butt rock, but WRIF has butt rock on lock. Alternative rock isn't even rock anymore, it's what MW calls "snowflake music". Current rock sucks, so this isn't a total surprise. Whoever said D&CtF leaving started this...you are right. The clock was ticking. And to think how bad ass this station used to be. And it's gone.
I'll say this -- the fact that either one could go "club slut/yo dawg" music (stole that from you :wink:) is depressing, and will be a hell of a change for those (who were left) that have listened to either station for an extended period of time. If one were to go variety hits -- I'm thinking 93.9 -- it might be less jarring, but will still be quite a departure.
Look at this! I have a fan! Lol. You're probably right about 93.9, it already tiptoed into things like Justin Timberlake and more rhythmic pop sounds. I feel like 89x would be the one to do variety hits or something. It's still such a bummer to see it go, even if it hasn't been anything great the last few years. I really wish they would have done a time warp type format full time. Bust out those lost 90s classics again.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Detroit313

Post by Detroit313 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:23 pm

I hope it is VIRGIN RADIO!

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:24 pm

This is devastating to those of us who are in our 30's. I listen to 93.9 and 88.7 all the time. 2020 strikes again. I am literally sick.
Last edited by MotorCityRadioFreak on Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:42 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:19 pm
I’m 50/50 on whether this is a stunt or true.

I'm closer to 70/30.
Smells like a stunt. When the Hell does a station announce a format change?
Unless they commit to refocusing on Detroit, whatever they do is mostly irreverent.
They'd have to start buying Neilson again to sell it, for one.
And the ad revenue in Detroit has been drying up long before Covid..
I mean is there enough revenue in Windsor for a CHR on a blowtorch signal? Good luck with that.
A classic hit's of some sort makes more financial sense. As MW pointed out, WOMC blows.
Even if they sound better than OMC, still gotta sell it.
But...I still say it's likely a stunt.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:35 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:22 pm
I bet they're bringing Ohm FM back.
There would be considerable resistance to that
(somebody had to say it).

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:09 pm

armchair pd -- You might be onto something. Seems odd that they'd just drop everything and go "hey, we're changing format!".

I'll lose my shit if it turns out that they're simply swapping formats between them...but that won't explain them possibly blowing up 580 along with it.

Mega -- Time Warp 24/7? Shit, that'd be my most listened to station!

take this job and shove it

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:24 pm

580’s website is still working normally, with playlists and all. Let’s be honest, CKWW is an afterthought, that’s why I brought up it wouldn’t be a shock if Bell turns it off someday. Does Bell have TSN Radio in a city without a team? That’s why CKOC Hamilton flipped from oldies to sports. The Spitfires aren’t exactly a draw for a whole station, and I don’t see them focusing on Detroit teams.

The CRTC no longer has to approve format changes, right? As I said, a top 40/CHR would directly compete with CHYR. Normally, competition isn’t too much of a deal for them, but Windsor has always been a special situation, and the entire market isn’t doing well, even before this year. Even CKLW has cut back.

No way Bell spends the cash to target Detroit again.

I still think if this is real, Christmas is one of the formats. (Possibly) make some cash, then flip around the New Year.

thatonedude

RIP 89X

Post by thatonedude » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:26 pm

Does 580 even bring in any revenue? I mean it’s a computer in a closet, so obviously there’s little operating expense, but they can’t be bringing in much.

To whoever had the idea to mimic Absolute Radio — I would listen to a station like that, but I’d probably be in the minority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

take this job and shove it

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:32 pm

I’m almost positive all of the advertising on CKWW is either Bell/CTV or freebies for CKLW advertisers. There are no brokered shows or infomercials anymore, just Casey Kasem reruns and the obligatory public affairs show.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:36 pm

thatonedude wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:26 pm
Does 580 even bring in any revenue? I mean it’s a computer in a closet, so obviously there’s little operating expense, but they can’t be bringing in much.

To whoever had the idea to mimic Absolute Radio — I would listen to a station like that, but I’d probably be in the minority.

There's a few advertisers, but not much. Like another poster said, a lot of Bell and CTV ads. I know Reliance Heating and Ford Canada advertise on there too.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:48 pm

I used to listen to 89X back in the day. Since we started buying cars with SXM and carplay, I have probably spent 5 minutes listening to terrestrial radio in total? I really don't see any future in it. It baffles me that people continue to invest and maintain towers and other assets.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:58 pm

audiophile wrote:There is only two of us the remember that.
Three.... of us....

And I agree.....

..... but Resistance is futile. ;-)

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:38 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:56 pm
Another crazy thought - might a cross border LMA be in the works, or are those disallowed by the CRTC?
thatonedude wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:58 pm
I think those are banned -- a station near Niagra Falls (I think?) got nailed for attempting it.
True -- CFLZ-FM in Niagara Falls originally got involved in an LMA with Citadel Broadcasting to focus on Buffalo. The CRTC threatened to pull its license for abandoning Canada:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFLZ-FM

Of course, the FCC doesn't mind at all when American stations are LMA'd to Canadian broadcasters, such as WLYK in the border town of Cape Vincent, New York, which focuses on Kingston under an LMA with Rogers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WLYK

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic