Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

I'm beginning to think WLLZ has a liberal bias

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
sfpcc

Re: I'm beginning to think WLLZ has a liberal bias

Post by sfpcc » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:45 am

A WDET program played the Amboy Dukes about a year or two ago. However, it was tempered by the announcer saying "That was Baby Please Don't Go by the Amboy Dukes featuring Ted Nugent, before he lost his mind."

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:59 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:47 pm
Perhaps I'm just noticing this more as I travel from job site to job site. A couple of weeks ago, we counted hearing Bohemian Rhapsody 34 times in one week. It's now a running gag in the van.

I've known for a long time it's all about repetition. Hell, the AOR format was based on artist recognition. Wheels doesn't know what it wants to be. How many folks that tune into that station want Triumph deep cuts mixed in with rock of the 90s and 00s? And the hair metal quotient is getting way out of control. Spinning Once Bitten Twice Shy like it's a Goddamn current. We're talking marginal tunes 30 years ago that are probably getting more plays now than back then. I'm also noticing a LOT more Tom Petty. I like Petty, but I need a break from Refugee and Won't Back Down.

I will agree with MW that Riff may be the best of my options, but that isn't necessarily because they ARE better, but with all the other garbage, it's perception. But there have been times where I'll spend more time at Riff because they'll put a decent sweep together.

I think what's happening now is, they're trying to grab at that last grasp of air before internet/iTunes/Pandora kicked in. The 90s are a harder decade as it was all over the map, and Top 40 back then wasn't what it had been 30 years earlier. If you grew up in the 90s (like me), by the end of the decade you had Napster and LimeWire, so this generation is the first one that embraced the net, so we had everything at our fingertips. We're probably not scanning the dial as often as the Boomers and Gen X. I do because my options are limited.

We've been saying for years that the "writing is on the wall" about FM music radio, but the problem is the writing is 12 feet high and the programmers/owners are standing too close to read it. I'll bet if I go downstairs and scan the rock the stations, I'll hear one of the songs or bands I mentioned before. But why? I have a minimum of 50 hours I can hear it again next week, in between useless breaks from a no-name "DJ" that's based in either Dallas or was recorded 4 days ago.

That reminds me, I was gonna tape "...And Justice For All" for the van. After all, Metallica did have more albums than black album and Ride the Lightning. Shhhhh...don't tell the rock stations that. It's our little secret.
Queen should never played on Classic Rock station IMHO.

Same for the Eurythmics on an AC station, but every time you turn it on, there it is.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:26 am

audiophile wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:59 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:47 pm
Perhaps I'm just noticing this more as I travel from job site to job site. A couple of weeks ago, we counted hearing Bohemian Rhapsody 34 times in one week. It's now a running gag in the van.

I've known for a long time it's all about repetition. Hell, the AOR format was based on artist recognition. Wheels doesn't know what it wants to be. How many folks that tune into that station want Triumph deep cuts mixed in with rock of the 90s and 00s? And the hair metal quotient is getting way out of control. Spinning Once Bitten Twice Shy like it's a Goddamn current. We're talking marginal tunes 30 years ago that are probably getting more plays now than back then. I'm also noticing a LOT more Tom Petty. I like Petty, but I need a break from Refugee and Won't Back Down.

I will agree with MW that Riff may be the best of my options, but that isn't necessarily because they ARE better, but with all the other garbage, it's perception. But there have been times where I'll spend more time at Riff because they'll put a decent sweep together.

I think what's happening now is, they're trying to grab at that last grasp of air before internet/iTunes/Pandora kicked in. The 90s are a harder decade as it was all over the map, and Top 40 back then wasn't what it had been 30 years earlier. If you grew up in the 90s (like me), by the end of the decade you had Napster and LimeWire, so this generation is the first one that embraced the net, so we had everything at our fingertips. We're probably not scanning the dial as often as the Boomers and Gen X. I do because my options are limited.

We've been saying for years that the "writing is on the wall" about FM music radio, but the problem is the writing is 12 feet high and the programmers/owners are standing too close to read it. I'll bet if I go downstairs and scan the rock the stations, I'll hear one of the songs or bands I mentioned before. But why? I have a minimum of 50 hours I can hear it again next week, in between useless breaks from a no-name "DJ" that's based in either Dallas or was recorded 4 days ago.

That reminds me, I was gonna tape "...And Justice For All" for the van. After all, Metallica did have more albums than black album and Ride the Lightning. Shhhhh...don't tell the rock stations that. It's our little secret.
Queen should never played on Classic Rock station IMHO.

Same for the Eurythmics on an AC station, but every time you turn it on, there it is.
Good thing you don’t program a station. Queen is Classic Rock and The Eurythmics are AC where would you put these groups on a Country station?

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:30 pm

In the dumpster.

They are too novelty in 2020.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:25 pm

Get SXM. Today's radio is total garbage and you'll get more variety. I couldn't imagine driving from my place to up north with anything other than SXM. I used to like the local stations, they were fun. But now its all garbage.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:11 am

Neckbeard wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:25 pm
Get SXM. Today's radio is total garbage and you'll get more variety. I couldn't imagine driving from my place to up north with anything other than SXM. I used to like the local stations, they were fun. But now its all garbage.
1. Always glad to see you.

2. We have SXM in our own vehicles.

3. This is a work van, so I don't own it. I'd have to get permission, and I'm not about to spend my personal money on that for business.

Besides, I found an old iPod and cassette adapter. I'll take the 2001 way of doing things over having to hear Poison again!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:16 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:11 am
Neckbeard wrote:

3. This is a work van, so I don't own it. I'd have to get permission, and I'm not about to spend my personal money on that for business.

Besides, I found an old iPod and cassette adapter. I'll take the 2001 way of doing things over having to hear Poison again!
Wait, are you saying you dont absolutely NEED to hear Back in Black 3 times a day?

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:35 am

JLesinski wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:16 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Neckbeard wrote:

Wait, are you saying you dont absolutely NEED to hear Back in Black 3 times a day?
6 times a day if you listen to WOMC and WLLZ, 9 if you tune in to WCSX as well.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:44 am

Neckbeard wrote:
Some of the music channels can be every bit as repetitive as FM music stations.
But you do get a lot of OH WOW stuff too.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:55 am

JLesinski wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:
Neckbeard wrote:

Too much yelling! LOL

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:56 pm

Lucky615 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:35 am
JLesinski wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:
Neckbeard wrote:

6 times a day if you listen to WOMC and WLLZ, 9 if you tune in to WCSX as well.
For real. Its freakin everywhere! Its a great tune and all but give us a break...please!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:11 pm

JLesinski wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:
Neckbeard wrote:

No, but a 42 year old shop worker from Allen Park said he did...so we do.

C mon guys, I heard a fucking CINDERELLA deep cut this afternoon. Cinderella. Let that saute for a minute. Yeah, let's slam into a Nirvana tune out of that butt rock album cut. Are you fucking serious? Cinderella. Who the fuck is calling the shots over there???

-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:13 pm

armchair pd wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:44 am
Neckbeard wrote:
Some of the music channels can be every bit as repetitive as FM music stations.
But you do get a lot of OH WOW stuff too.
Absolutely correct. You're gonna get your burnouts, especially on classic rewind and classic vinyl. But there's so many other stations. Like Faction Punk, Deep Trax, Lithium, Boneyard...but why listen to Hair Nation when I can catch it on FM?

-TurkeyTop

G G

Post by G G » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:46 pm

They have Michael Jackson on Channel 50 right now. I am sure some people on this board would be happy to hear that if you know what I mean.

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:18 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Neckbeard wrote:

Well if you have all of that, then how about hooking up your phone and using the SXM app?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic