Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit Protests coverage

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 7620

Detroit Protests coverage

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Fri May 29, 2020 11:46 pm

WXYZ didn’t bother to cover it.

Local 4 waited until 11:30 to go to live coverage.

Fox 2, by far, did the best job. We even heard an F bomb from a Fox 2 reporter, on live TV
Last edited by Deleted User 7620 on Sat May 30, 2020 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rate This

Re: Detroit Protests coverage

Post by Rate This » Sat May 30, 2020 1:13 am

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:46 pm

Fox 2, by far, did the best job. We even heard an F bomb from. Fox 2 reporter, on live TV
Fantastic... fortunately it was after 11...

IIN4MU

Post by IIN4MU » Sat May 30, 2020 8:25 am

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:46 pm

Fox 2, by far, did the best job. We even heard an F bomb from a Fox 2 reporter, on live TV
All three had coverage during the traditional 11 p.m. time slot, but only 2 and 4 stuck with it post-11:30 when things got scary. Whoever is calling the shots at 7 and decided Kimmel's lame attempt at comedy was more important than sticking with what was happening downtown needs their head examined.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 30, 2020 8:34 am

What amazes me is the PD seems very focused on the person who busted out the windows of the police cruiser ("we know who you are, and we will find you"), but what about the fucking person who shot into the crowd and killed a 19-year old? Isn't that a little more important?!?!

Dozens upon dozens of cops in the streets, and no one was able to get the damn license plate number of the Dodge Durango from which the gunfire came?!?!

696lover

Post by 696lover » Sat May 30, 2020 10:38 am

Poor Jennifer Wilson on 7 was stuck out at Eastland Mall all morning (they are having the demonstration there tonight). They gave her talking points that everything was peaceful except one or two little things and it was all white suburb people anyway.

I think she is good covering the flower festivals and did great work digging up the 696 plating pollution scandal after she was sent out on a scrub traffic story, but she isn't up to selling that sort of complex talking point set.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 30, 2020 10:42 am

She is a lousy hard news reporter, and frankly, she isn't even a very good "fluff" story reporter. I provided a detailed example of the latter here many months ago.

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Sat May 30, 2020 10:45 am

2 ran circles around 4 and 7 last night, and it wasn't even close.

7 especially should be embarrassed to call themselves a local news source for the complete and total whiff last night.

Fidem Scit

Post by Fidem Scit » Sat May 30, 2020 10:53 am

Is there no longer room in our society to have two thoughts in your head at the same time?

Can people despise and demand action against unjust police killings perpetrated on non-violent, unarmed black men while also thinking it's wrong to burn down businesses, loot and destroy communities as a form of response and protest?

I understand the outrage and the clear sense of "the straw that broke the camel's back". But stealing literally everything out of a Target store does not seem to align with steps towards progress, nor does not say "I'm pissed off about the police killing black men". It more seems to say "I want free stuff and I'll disguise the theft as a protest".

George Floyd was killed in cold blood. The perpetrator is in custody and facing charges. Perhaps not enough charges. I hope the three other involved officers face some significant charges soon. I vigorously hope there is criminal justice, civil justice, and social justice. I equally hope for reform of some sort to help stop this pattern.

However, I don't understand how burning cars, a Wendys restaurant, stealing literally everything out of Target, grabbing electronics, booze, and everything else helps the cause.

God help any of us who might find ourselves or our loved ones uninvolved in the crime, but in the path of this destructive behavior disguised as a protest. I know several small business owners personally. They work hard to support their families and to contribute to the community. I pray nothing ever happens to them like what we're seeing happen to some small businesses and large businesses across the country these past couple days.

Has this become an unpopular opinion? I see so many people advocating and supporting the looting and violence these past couple of days.

Maybe this doesn't belong here. If so, I apologize, but this is a necessary conversation that has to be had somewhere.

If I'm wrong, and all of these violent acts are legit civil protests, please explain. I promise to keep an open mind.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Sat May 30, 2020 10:59 am

Two words. Digital Delay. Used to be a seven second tape delay.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat May 30, 2020 11:09 am

Fidem Scit wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:53 am
Is there no longer room in our society to have two thoughts in your head at the same time?

Can people despise and demand action against unjust police killings perpetrated on non-violent, unarmed black men while also thinking it's wrong to burn down businesses, loot and destroy communities as a form of response and protest?

I understand the outrage and the clear sense of "the straw that broke the camel's back". But stealing literally everything out of a Target store does not seem to align with steps towards progress, nor does not say "I'm pissed off about the police killing black men". It more seems to say "I want free stuff and I'll disguise the theft as a protest".

George Floyd was killed in cold blood. The perpetrator is in custody and facing charges. Perhaps not enough charges. I hope the three other involved officers face some significant charges soon. I vigorously hope there is criminal justice, civil justice, and social justice. I equally hope for reform of some sort to help stop this pattern.

However, I don't understand how burning cars, a Wendys restaurant, stealing literally everything out of Target, grabbing electronics, booze, and everything else helps the cause.

God help any of us who might find ourselves or our loved ones uninvolved in the crime, but in the path of this destructive behavior disguised as a protest. I know several small business owners personally. They work hard to support their families and to contribute to the community. I pray nothing ever happens to them like what we're seeing happen to some small businesses and large businesses across the country these past couple days.

Has this become an unpopular opinion? I see so many people advocating and supporting the looting and violence these past couple of days.

Maybe this doesn't belong here. If so, I apologize, but this is a necessary conversation that has to be had somewhere.

If I'm wrong, and all of these violent acts are legit civil protests, please explain. I promise to keep an open mind.
We are starting to learn that many of the people doing the violence are coming in from elsewhere and especially after the curfew last night were really professional anarchists essentially... so you actually have now 2 distinct groups operated over each other out there.. legitimate protestors and opportunistic folks trying to weaken the social order.

696lover

Post by 696lover » Sat May 30, 2020 11:19 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:42 am
She is a lousy hard news reporter, and frankly, she isn't even a very good "fluff" story reporter. I provided a detailed example of the latter here many months ago.
No argument from me. I was impressed she turned up the plating scandal, but that was as much a slam at the 'investigative' reporters at the stations as props for her. I do think it would be very hard to get geeked the 100th time you have to swoon on air about the lame Novi copy of a real comic book convention, and she does that stuff that well.

The worst thing 7 did was bring in a new sports reporter, a black woman from Canada, and instead of getting her feet wet on sports in a US number 14 market they sent her to an all afternoon/evening sports bar hosting gig in the lily white suburbs for a big ad buyer. She was so lost and confused I couldn't stop watching, like a slow motion train wreck.

Jennifer Wilson would at least have turned something good out of that disaster.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Sat May 30, 2020 11:19 am

Howard Jones wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:45 am
2 ran circles around 4 and 7 last night, and it wasn't even close.

7 especially should be embarrassed to call themselves a local news source for the complete and total whiff last night.
100 % agree. 2 was outstanding. The on scene reporter saying 'OH SHIT' live when the 19 year old was shot live on camera was all of us. One of many such moments I heard across all local and national tv last night.

I agree with the above poster about the scum who killed Mr. Floyd and hope he gets the maximum punishment allowed by law. I also agree that regardless of politics or race we all wanted justice.

Burning down cities, killing people on live tv and looting have nothing to do with justice for Mr. Floyd.

Fidem Scit

Post by Fidem Scit » Sat May 30, 2020 11:23 am

Rate This wrote:
Fidem Scit wrote:

We are starting to learn that many of the people doing the violence are coming in from elsewhere and especially after the curfew last night were really professional anarchists essentially... so you actually have now 2 distinct groups operated over each other out there.. legitimate protestors and opportunistic folks trying to weaken the social order.
Yet still, these illegitimate protesters you cite who are pillaging cities and neighborhoods, have support. Many categorize it as a legit form of protest.

Maybe I'm getting old. I don't get it.

This reporter says the protest in "not generally speaking unruly" while a major fire burns behind him. The new norm?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... =null&vh=i

rizzman87

Post by rizzman87 » Sat May 30, 2020 11:26 am

Well said!!!
Fidem Scit wrote:

jsf

Post by jsf » Sat May 30, 2020 1:12 pm

Some called them Protest's, others call them Riot's.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic