Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Bogey out at 97.1

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Bogey out at 97.1

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:26 pm

More like devolved.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

D.j.m.

Post by D.j.m. » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:45 pm

The Over 40 Club in Detroit Sports Media strikes again.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:54 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:26 pm
More like devolved.
I guess I don't see the rationale for saying Wojo is lazy. He's not an intentional shit stirrer, and his columns are generally well reasoned. Why parrot that worthless hack Jeff Moss' opinion?

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:26 am

I provided the rationale already. I will try to plead my case again.

At press conferences, the great questions usually come from someone else (Wojo does ask a great question once in a while). I used to look forward to reading his marvelously written columns many years ago. Now, most of the stuff he puts out is forgettable and boilerplate.

Never said he was a shit stirrer. He's the opposite of a shit stirrer. If anything, he is too timid when it comes to taking a stand on certain controversial topics.

My opinion is based on many years of reading Wojo's columns and listening to him in various co-hosting roles on the radio. I take offense at the suggestion that I'm mindlessly "parroting" someone else.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:44 am

I'm not inclined to judge a longtime columnist on the questions he asks at press conferences. I'm sure he has access that does not require him to be a blowhard publicly, like the late Drew Sharp.

My sincere apologies for the parroting suggestion.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:34 am

Matt wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:44 am
I'm not inclined to judge a longtime columnist on the questions he asks at press conferences. I'm sure he has access that does not require him to be a blowhard publicly, like the late Drew Sharp.

My sincere apologies for the parroting suggestion.
But Drew Sharp was one of the biggest blowhards in sports media around here in his newspaper columns...

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:54 am

I noticed a few on air folks at 97.1 actually got to say goodbye and express their opinion on Bogey's departure (Valenti, Wojo, Jamie & Stoney), I remember back years ago when a local DJ was fired/quit a radio station, it was like that person never existed. None of the other jocks would mention what happened where is so and so, no explanation why that person was let go or left the radio station. Sometimes the local newspaper would have an article about said person, other than that , just so funny how that radio station acted like.."who"?? never heard of him/her....

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:23 am

Maybe the sentence was composed poorly: I meant to say that Wojo doesn't need to be a blowhard like Sharp used to be. Wojo's columns are infinitely better than Sharp's ever were. I was asserting that being a blowhard publicly likely means you're a blowhard privately. I'd also say that Wojo and Niyo are by far the best columnists in the market.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:29 am

Matt wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:23 am
Maybe the sentence was composed poorly: I meant to say that Wojo doesn't need to be a blowhard like Sharp used to be. Wojo's columns are infinitely better than Sharp's ever were. I was asserting that being a blowhard publicly likely means you're a blowhard privately. I'd also say that Wojo and Niyo are by far the best columnists in the market.
Ah ok now that makes more sense.. Sharp was my all time most despised columnist in the Freep...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:53 am

Thanks, Matt, for taking back the "parrotting" suggestion. I do appreciate that.

I agree that Sharp (especially in his last several years of work) was a rabble rouser just for the sake of being one. Did not care for his work as a whole. He also had 1 or 2 ethical lapses.

Niyo is good. Wish we'd see his material more often. I also like Angelique. Seidel is good at times. The Pistons writer for the News isn't bad (his name escapes me). The Lions beat writers are all pretty good, although Rogers and Birkett spew stupidity once in a while. I think Rogers predicted playoffs last year!

McCosky is the worst of the lot. Graham Couch is runner up for worst honors.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic