Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Please, enough with the whining

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Splouge

Please, enough with the whining

Post by Splouge » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:08 pm

DISCLAIMER: Most whining that I'm referring to exists on WHNE's Facebook. Not the buzzboard, you guys are good :D

A lot of people are whining about the "crappy" signal being put out by WHNE.

The signal isn't crappy, your antennas are obviously crappy at getting low VHF. Once the pandemic stops, get out there and get a good low VHF antenna. I feel like some people reading this are going to disregard my advice and they're not going to wait until the pandemic is over, and they clearly have the wrong priorities. Even ordering online is dangerous, people!

You don't necessarily need an outdoor antenna, rabbit ears, facing Oak Park, fully extended, and horizontal may work within 20 miles.

Stop blaming the station. Yes, it's true they waited a pretty long time to pick their post-repack channel, but what's done is done, and they're being extremely helpful on their Facebook, and people still get hostile towards them on there. Thankfully, the bashing is pretty much non existent on the buzzboard, but there is still some ignorance.

And the station has viewers all the way in Capac. It can be done at the edge of the 35 dBu contour. It can cover Chelsea, Flint, Essex ON, Brighton, Monroe, Lapeer, Marine City, and even NW Lenawee County. You need to take some personal responsibility and get the right antenna.

Then there's the people who try to control the station (even though they don't own it). People think that asking them to increase power or channel share with another station automatically means that they must have their request fulfilled. One of the most important things to realize in all of life, not just in this WHNE fiasco, is that you can't control the actions of others.

Fortunately, most people on the buzzboard who talk about the idea of channel sharing are just saying it as an idea, like an "alternate history" thing. Myself included. And honestly, that's fine, even kinda fun, to think about what could have been. But I've seen people on their Facebook asking them to increase power (some are asking them to even increase power above the full power low VHF limit, even above the limit for zone 2! :shock: )

You don't know what the station's intentions were. Maybe they intentionally picked low VHF because they just felt like it. Whatever the reason, it's totally legal, constitutional, and their's. The station doesn't owe you anything, this is a free society.

Although I do often question the constitutionality of the repack itself.

I'll try to give these complainers the benefit of the doubt. After all, the isolation does prevent people from getting new antennas. And being lonely like this can make people go insane. But now that you've read this, I hope you can put things in perspective.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

SolarMax

Re: Please, enough with the whining

Post by SolarMax » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:35 pm

Completely agree, well put.
That station has gone out of its way to communicate and interact with its seemingly enthusiastic viewer fan base, far more than the majors, and none of the other LPs seem to be wanting to have any local identity. WHNE is really trying to be "the little station that could."
The complainers don't really know or understand it's WHNE-LD, Low Power Digital. It will not ever have the same coverage or saturation as their companions on the tower, who are running well over 100 times the ERP of ch. 3. The lack of Low-V receive antennas is a problem, but as you state, it's on the viewer. The 1999 and beyond digital allocations were primarily UHF, some high VHF, and very few low-V assignments. The repack has changed that. Widely available UHF-only antennas were meant to be stuck on the wall, behind a curtain, and were barely adequate for reception of even close-in stations. People have been complaining about the hassles of receiving digital OTA since the beginning, but obviously don't understand that to receive magic electric pictures sent without a cable you really do need that metal, up high, and cut for resonance on three different frequency bands. Costs less than a month of Xfinity to do, just that one time.
A problem is that installation of outside antennas, which, at one time, were on everybody's roofs and chimneys (drive around an older neighborhood, you'll see hundreds of them, elements dangling off the boom), is discouraged by HOA rules and aesthetic and other concerns. Add to it is that there are ads still running selling that little three inch rubber ducky antenna they claim will get you hundreds of free channels (and now, 4K!). Maybe, if you live across the road from all the stations. ATSC 3.0 might eventually prove helpful, with channel sharing and ability to form Single Frequency networks for signal distribution, but that's on kind of a far horizon. If you folks really want to watch TV Drive-in, Retro, GetTV and their other 9 streams, put up a real antenna. SolidSignal.com is a local business. They'll sell you what you need.

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:43 pm

I have re-scanned several of my TVs and all are missing 14. I used to get it before the re-pack. I'm East of A2 and use the same antenna as before.
One thing with the recent repack is not I get 6,48,52 out of Lansing.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:14 am

SolarMax, I totally agree. WHNE is the only LPTV in the area with an identity. It's because they aren't owned by a large corporation. It's like McDonalds vs. the charming locally owned restaurant across the street.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:17 am

tapeisrolling wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:43 pm
I have re-scanned several of my TVs and all are missing 14. I used to get it before the re-pack. I'm East of A2 and use the same antenna as before.
One thing with the recent repack is not I get 6,48,52 out of Lansing.
The 35 dBu contour goes out to Chelsea. It is possible to receive it at the edge of said contour, they have a viewer in Capac.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:35 am

Just because one person near the edge in the completely opposite direction receives it doesn't mean everyone near the edge has the ability to receive the station using outdoor equipment.

There is far more impulse noise in Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti than there is in a rural farming community.

If you read WHNE's STA filing from last June (as I did last night), the engineering firm contracted by the station states a more realistic reception limit for physical channel 3 - based on real life conditions especially in suburban or urban areas - is the 43 dB contour.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:32 am

tapeisrolling wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:43 pm
I have re-scanned several of my TVs and all are missing 14
You probably know this but WHNE is no longer virtual 14. Their RF and PSIP is Channel 3, and they're identifying as "WHNE TV3"

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:47 pm

Splouge wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:08 pm
The signal isn't crappy, your antennas are obviously crappy at getting low VHF.
This is the heart of the issue. I am getting all the Channel 3s because my antenna includes several VHF elements. Several years ago I went to Radio Shack and bought their biggest UHF-VHF Outdoor antenna and installed it on a chimney mount. The model is VU-210. It can be seen on page 3 of this PDF Owners Manual link:

http://pdfstream.manualsonline.com/d/de ... 463e0d.pdf

Today you can get something just as good and it will be smaller but effective. If you need some valuable assistance there is a guy that installs antennas for a living that has a YouTube Channel. He will not try to sell you anything. He is an experienced installer and he tests antennas on his channel by make and model and provides to you an honest evaluation from his testing at his home.

You will appreciate how blunt he is about whether a particular antenna can work for you or whether he knows that a particular antenna is "crap" and he will say so just like that. He has videos on indoor antennas as well as outdoor antennas. Nothing is left out.

I hope you will look at at least a couple of his videos and I assure you that you will appreciate his advice and frankness. As one who has installed 3 or 4 rooftop antennas myself I can appreciate the free advice he will give you and no doubt steer you away from an antenna that maybe heavily advertised but in reality is no good.

Antenna Man - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ntenna+man

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:48 pm

They filed an STA extension. Apparently the application is still pending due to coordination with Canada

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic