Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

FUCK YOU, Entercom. (Chuck Edwards and Cadillac Jack both fired from WYCD.)

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

FUCK YOU, Entercom. (Chuck Edwards and Cadillac Jack both fired from WYCD.)

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:10 pm

What a FLAMING dumpster fire WYCD is becoming!!!

As if the horrible new station imaging, playlist tightening, mushy audio processing, and emphasis on hip-hop country weren't bad enough, word has come down that both Chuck Edwards(morning co-host and 25+ year personality) and Cadillac Jack have *both* been fired.

They were victims of budget cuts, just like Dennis Fithian.

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1857 ... employees/

BTW, the afternoon voicetracker on 98.7 The Breeze, Smokey Rivers, also is out of a job. I guess programming a major market station (Seattle), doing afternoons live there, and voicetracking multiple other stations with the company wasn't enough!

IIN4MU

Re: FUCK YOU, Entercom. (Chuck Edwards and Cadillac Jack both fired from WYCD.)

Post by IIN4MU » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:04 pm

What's astounding - as is always the case when corporations further twist the knife into a once-great medium - is the "talent" that manages to survive any given bloodbath. I've been reading the lists and shaking my head at how "Talent A" was let go, yet the much-less talented "Talent B" is still employed.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:24 pm

It's clear to me that the wet dream of most major AM/FM execs is to nationalize the programming on at least 80 percent of the stations across the country, K-Love style.

One CHR format on dozens of stations, maybe two country formats, a couple urban/hip-hop formats, one classic rock format, one news/talk format, one contemporary rock format, etc., per company. On some of those stations, maybe one (!!!) daypart of local origin is programmed. Station-specific identities for all stations in a given format are ditched in favor of a singular identity for all stations in that format (just like the failed Nash FM experiment!)

The air talent will then plug the iHeartRadio, or radio.com, etc. streaming platforms to entice OTA listeners to subscribe to premium content.

I'm sure Bob Pittman as an example would be fine with AM/FM OTA broadcasting disappearing completely if it means a high percentage of those listeners choose to obtain audio content via the iHeartRadio streaming platform.

Look for Pittman, Field and others to make a gigantic deal about building out their respective branded streaming platforms once 5G becomes mainstream.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:43 pm

Bob Pittman, the lowly DJ from WDRQ? I thought he was also at WHYT in the early days of Hot Hits.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:43 pm

Bob Pittman of MTV fame?

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Realist

Post by Realist » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:46 pm

Fithian is shown the door yet Pat Coputo keeps his job there? 🙄🙄🙄🙄

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:55 pm

Traffic Reporter Lance Howard (Newsradio 950) was also let go on Thursday by Entercom. He has been doing traffic for more than 30 years in the Motor City. So, Entercom SUCKS, Beasley SUCKS, iHeart SUCKS, Cumulus SUCKS...Maybe Kevin Adell can buy an FM station from one of these GREEDY national media corporations, and let us have a legitimate "live and local" music station staffed with some of the top-name air-talent that these penny-pinchers have discarded in the past year.

...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:35 pm

This may not be a popular thing to say, but I think the future of the truly talented, especially as technology evolves, is podcasting.

Think back 40 years. What options did first timers that wanted to be in radio have? Weekends in Alpena? Now, anyone with a computer can broadcast a show.

If you're good and bring something fresh, unique and entertaining, you can be found.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

pixelplay

Post by pixelplay » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:18 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:43 pm
Bob Pittman of MTV fame?
He was a DJ and research director at WDRQ in the early 70s. https://www.encyclopedia.com/education/ ... ittman-bob I saw a picture of him once at DRQ.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:28 am

This may not be a popular thing to say, but I think the future of the truly talented, especially as technology evolves, is podcasting.
I think you're probably right.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:40 am

I don't think so. Aural only podcasting has not taken off.

Look at popular radio hosts that tried it. Drew & Mike, Dave & Geri, Burke.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:23 am

pixelplay wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:18 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:43 pm
Bob Pittman of MTV fame?
He was a DJ and research director at WDRQ in the early 70s. https://www.encyclopedia.com/education/ ... ittman-bob I saw a picture of him once at DRQ.
Wow, no shit. I had no idea!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:41 am

Dave & Geri hadn't been a factor in the GR market for about a decade when they switched to podcasting. Toward the end of their WLHT run, ratings were sagging. During their WHTS run, ratings were abysmal. Several years after being off the air completely, they started a podcast. No one was pining for their return. To compare them to Drew & Mike is silly.

Also, the Drew & Mike podcast is actually quite successful, audiophile, so I'm not sure how your citation of that example supports your argument.

The fact of the matter is terrestrial AM/FM radio is supporting marquee air talent in ever diminishing numbers. The number of great LOCAL personalities has shrunk by leaps & bounds over the past two decades. That pattern is only going to continue. The jobs just aren't there. Most investors see little to no future in terrestrial AM/FM broadcasting as a commercial venture.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:13 am

I know of no one that listens to podcasts of former radio hosts. Success is defined as they made enough to support themselves with almost no overhead (house was paid for, minimal staff, etc)

So the conclusion is that if you were a major market and top rated host, a podcast MIGHT work. Startups or minor market host have minimal chance then.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:31 am

They rank in 7.7 million position. For an internet only platform it's not that high.

https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/drewandmikepodcast.com

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic