Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

All local TV meteorologists are terrible at their jobs!!!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

All local TV meteorologists are terrible at their jobs!!!

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:31 am

Few flurries? Snow ending by 9AM? My ass!!!!

Snowing like balls at my house right now. Slushy accumulation is now forming on sidewalks and streets.

As for the high temp prediction of 46 degrees, I'll believe it when I see it. I bet we struggle to only 41 or 42 today.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Realist

Re: All local TV meteorologists are terrible at their jobs!!!

Post by Realist » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:53 am

I keep it mind one thing when it comes to the weather:

It’s all an educated guess.

None of us can predict the future accurately, much less the weather. On top of it, with this being Michigan and the Great Lakes having a large effect on our weather, it’s a decent crapshoot

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:56 am

It was more than expected, but what a nice distraction from everything else...

Herm

Post by Herm » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:01 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:31 am
Few flurries? Snow ending by 9AM? My ass!!!!

Snowing like balls at my house right now. Slushy accumulation is now forming on sidewalks and streets.

As for the high temp prediction of 46 degrees, I'll believe it when I see it. I bet we struggle to only 41 or 42 today.
So... since they didn’t get the forecast exactly right for your house today they are terrible at their jobs.
Well... the weather at MY house was exactly as forecasted so, per your philosophy, they are PERFECT at their jobs.
Thanks for watching!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:02 pm

Their W-L percentage is .500 then.

Hey, that's a lot better than the shitty sports franchises in this town! :blink

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:59 pm

Snow all melted by the afternoon on Monday that is what they said in West Michigan market when forecasting which is a crapshoot, to begin with. When it comes to a thunderstorm in the summertime when there hasn't been raining in 10 to 14 days I'll believe it when I see it and also can't stand when they say it is open window night when the low is between 55 to 60 degrees which I have the room AC running as I like it cool and not hot/stuffy and isn't good for my allergies either.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re:

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:35 am

Two days ago:
"Tuesday will be milder than Monday!"

High temperature yesterday wound up either being the same or 1 degree cooler than Monday. :lol

Both days topped out at 43 or 44 degrees at Detroit Metro. (Monday topped out at 42 in Troy, a reporting station less than 3 miles from my house.)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:37 am

I bet these ding-a-lings get today's forecast wrong, too. Gray skies will hang on (east of US 23 especially) longer than forecast. Highs will be around 50 to low 50s many areas, not upper 50s like the folks on TV are predicting.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:02 pm

They were right today; my own prediction sucked ass.

I give myself an F- in forecast accuracy for today.

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:21 pm

43 in Tawas all day today. I forgot how much I despise Lake Huron this time of year.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:31 pm

I thought our nearby lakes and rivers would keep at least broken stratus overhead for a good chunk of the day.

But, a 5 to 10 mph breeze from the SSW kicked up, a slightly drier air mass settled in, and by Noon we were seeing decent sun in my neck of the woods, and by about 2PM, it was cloud free. It reached 57 in my location.

That same southerly wind angle is what screwed you guys north of the Bay, I'm afraid. That big lake is COLD!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:11 am

Dave Rexroth two nights ago said most of Metro Detroit could expect an inch or rain or less for the entire weekend. He said there would be no flooding concerns.

Since last night, already an inch of rain has fallen at my house, perhaps 1.5 inches. There is standing water in my backyard. Parts of Jackson County have seen 3 inches. More heavy rain is on the way. Between now and tomorrow morning, two more heavy bands of rain & storms are likely.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic