Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

FSD technicians told to work at Meijer

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Editorcj

FSD technicians told to work at Meijer

Post by Editorcj » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:07 pm

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/2020 ... 890238001/

FSD freelancers did not receive unemployment information from Sinclair until March 19, two days after Fox Sports reached out to them via email to offer temporary employment at Meijer as overnight grocery clerks.

Abdella first learned of his release at 5 p.m. March 12. The email of release received by freelancers did not detail anything about COVID-19 nor that Utah Jazz all-stars Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell tested positive for the coronavirus. The Jazz and Pistons played March 7 at Little Caesars Arena. By March 14, it became known Pistons forward Christian Wood also tested positive.

“Due to the recent suspension of games, you are released from all events on the FOX Sports Detroit schedule until further notice,” the March 12 email stated.

JackAttack FM

Re: FSD technicians told to work at Meijer

Post by JackAttack FM » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:09 pm

What Evan Petzold doesn't mention is that Sinclair has an enormous debt.

Sinclair funded the purchase of the regional Fox Sports with $8.9 billion of debt.
S&P Global just revised Sinclair's credit outlook to negative.

So, unfortunately, this is not a total surprise. They probably don't have the money to pay laid-off freelancers. Their revenue and credit standing was predicated on the ad revenue that would be made from airing live games this year.

And comparing Sinclair to Turner Sports (owned by AT&T) and CBS is a bad comparison. AT&T and CBS have large debt too but they are much bigger then Sinclair who is basically a TV station owner.  We also don't know what the work agreements were between Turner and CBS and their freelancers.

I would not be surprised that soon Sinclair may be forced into a position to sell the sports nets or a large chunk of its stations.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:06 pm

At a minimum Sinclair should cover wages for gigs that were previously booked. Other work may have been turned down by committing to Sinclair. A smart operation doesn't screw your largely freelance workforce, because when you do calls to assemble a crew might not be answered in the future. That said, I'm not surprised.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:59 pm

The entire sports economy should be concerned at how well eSports are being received by viewers.

If I were TV, think how much cheaper it would be to develop virtual leagues rather than pay for real sports licensing.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:07 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:59 pm
The entire sports economy should be concerned at how well eSports are being received by viewers.

If I were TV, think how much cheaper it would be to develop virtual leagues rather than pay for real sports licensing.
The trend toward using technology to make every decision in baseball (by managers, players, and umpires) is moving that sport closer and closer to video game logic. They just need to figure out how to get enough data from player performance to feed into a data model for the virtual leagues.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:06 am

FSD Cameraman is in a coma after working Pistons/Jazz game.

https://sports.yahoo.com/cameraman-who- ... 52933.html

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:53 am

Editorcj wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:06 am
FSD Cameraman is in a coma after working Pistons/Jazz game.

https://sports.yahoo.com/cameraman-who- ... 52933.html
Damn.
Personally, I'd be scared spitless if I had been working a game, especially in the truck within the last month. That he wasn't in the truck and that he got hit so quickly is terrifying.

Thanks for putting up the post E.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:27 pm

Personally, I'd be scared spitless if I had been working a game, especially in the truck within the last month. That he wasn't in the truck and that he got hit so quickly is terrifying.
He was in the Jazz locker room.

My last game was March 8th, I was doing replay for CBS, Ohio St at Michigan St. That window of exposure has passed, than goodness.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:42 pm

Folks like fuzzpower couldn't conceive why the NBA and NCAA seaons needed to be postponed...

This unfortunate piece of news should erase ALL doubts!!!

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:32 pm

Not to be too morbid or graphic about our brother cameraman's condition, nor do I want to play Monday Morning Armchair Physician, but putting him in a medically induced coma seems right in line with many reports I've read from the health care folks stating nearly every patient that get to the point of critical illness have to be shackled to their beds or heavily sedated because the nature and reality is that they are in essence drowning in their own fluids and are reacting accordingly. Pretty grisly stuff.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:35 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:32 pm
Not to be too morbid or graphic about our brother cameraman's condition, nor do I want to play Monday Morning Armchair Physician, but putting him in a medically induced coma seems right in line with many reports I've read from the health care folks stating nearly every patient that get to the point of critical illness have to be shackled to their beds or heavily sedated because the nature and reality is that they are in essence drowning in their own fluids and are reacting accordingly. Pretty grisly stuff.
It’s sounds like something from a movie...

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:36 am

Sinclair has come up with a fund to advance nearly 1,000 of its sports freelancers $2,500 interest free.
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 29377.html

I guess that helps???

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:32 pm

It's definitely something, I'd hope the payback terms are good.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:26 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:42 pm
Folks like fuzzpower couldn't conceive why the NBA and NCAA seaons needed to be postponed...

Yes it sucks, and yes, it’s terrible for him, but it’s one person. An outlier. Still shouldn’t have cancelled the season. To my knowledge, they didn’t do so during the Hong Kong flu of the late 60s.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:34 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:26 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:42 pm

Yes it sucks, and yes, it’s terrible for him, but it’s one person. An outlier. Still shouldn’t have cancelled the season. To my knowledge, they didn’t do so during the Hong Kong flu of the late 60s.
It’s not hard to conceive of a situation where most of the NBA gets this if they keep going.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic