Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Art Van is out of money and is liquidating and closing all stores

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Art Van is out of money and is liquidating and closing all stores

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:13 am

I want to take this moment to say - I fucking hate Gardner-White furniture in Metro Detroit for hiring the same ad agency who produced Art Van's vomit-inducing TV commercials.

They are following the (failed) Art Van playbook to a tee.

Those commercials compel me to AVOID Gardner-White like the plague.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:17 am

We tried to order a couple sofas from GW in early November. The website said they were a "hot item" so delivery might be delayed. I figured delayed might be a week or so since they normally talk about 1 day delivery. A week later I contacted them in mid November. They said delivery would be early December. Early December came, I called again and was told late December or early January. We cancelled the order.
Clearly the items were out of stock and they didn't know when they would have more in. They should have said that instead of calling it's "hot item".
While they didn't exactly lie they were less than honest.

I no longer directly engage trolls

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:12 pm

ADD in TC wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:32 pm
I heard the company that took over a number of Art Van stores are now closing locations.
Courtesy: Detroit Free Press

Loves Furniture To close 9 More Michigan Stores

https://www.freep.com/story/money/busin ... 027247001/

Deleted User 15475

Post by Deleted User 15475 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:41 am

Loves or the now defunct Art Van, I saw no real appeal in. The stuff seemed like over priced low quality rubbish. Sadly, it's difficult to find an honest local furniture store that sells actual quality furniture. Things such as Solid wood tables, quality brand recliners and Sofas(such as Lane Furniture). Also, having someone who has knowledge of what they are selling. Not some frat boy who still uses cinder blocks and lumber for a book shelve, who's also in a hurry to make a sale so he can go to a Kegger and get smashed on Heilman's old style.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:33 am

My friend worked at Art Van, and they were told to push the warranty extensions and the furniture polish all the time even though both were horrible. They did have a decent clearance center, and that will be missed. A lot of the Love's stuff is junk though.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:01 am

Now, it's obvious why Love's is failing!

Same low quality crap (if not worse) that Gardner-White sells for probably higher prices.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:35 am

I bought a dining room set from Art Van years ago. Absolute piece of junk, I never went back. My Gardner White couch is still functioning after ten years. Reading an earlier poster’s comment about their delivery questions whether I would go back

Deleted User 15475

Post by Deleted User 15475 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:21 am

Some of the things Ashly furniture sells isn't much better, same dreadful low quality.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:35 pm

Loves filed today...
Prior to bankruptcy, Loves announced it would close most of the 32 stores it had opened – keeping 12 in Michigan and one in Ohio, the Freep reports.

According to the bankruptcy filing, Loves has 100-199 creditors and $10 million to $50 million in liabilities. Liquidation sales at the remaining 13 stores are likely. The company may also seek a new owner for those locations, the newspaper reports.

Art Van filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in March 2020.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:57 pm

Whomever ultimately decided to invest and green light a chain of furniture stores during a pandemic when people would rather shop online first needs to go back to business 101 class. I can't imagine their showroom traffic was ever more than about 10% of what Art McVan had.

Almost as dumb as what the AV holding company did adding all those stand alone mattress stores everywhere. Almost.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:17 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:13 am
I want to take this moment to say - I fucking hate Gardner-White furniture in Metro Detroit for hiring the same ad agency who produced Art Van's vomit-inducing TV commercials.

They are following the (failed) Art Van playbook to a tee.

Those commercials compel me to AVOID Gardner-White like the plague.
Which agency handled Highland Appliance back in their heyday? If they're still around, they would be ideal for a furniture chain.

50 watts per channel, babycakes...

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:59 pm

Hated that store, but that "50 watts, babycakes!" line was awesome in its day. :)

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:21 pm

Wasn't that Doner?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:13 am

Highland I didn’t mind. Fretter on the other hand was a ripoff operation.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:04 am

Bryce wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:17 pm
Which agency handled Highland Appliance back in their heyday? If they're still around, they would be ideal for a furniture chain.
Doner (then known as W.B. Doner) was Highland's ad agency. Besides local clientele, Doner at that time had a large number of retail store clients in the U.S., and some in Canada.
They are definitely still around, soon moving into much larger quarters in Southfield.
Doner was also the target of spoof in the "Detroiters" series a couple of years ago.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic