Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

JIM PRICE STINKS !!!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Trophyhead

Re: JIM PRICE STINKS !!!

Post by Trophyhead » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:08 am

I met Jim on the Tigers Winter Caravan in '93, when he was joining the PASS broadcast crew. Can't recall now if he replaced Marty Adler, shared color commentary with Jim Northrup, but, there he was. I had seen him do College World Series games on ESPN and began our interview conversation in that regard. He answered the questions well enough, was complimentary in our departure and, since we carried the Tigers where I worked, his comments got mixed in with those I gained from Sparky Anderson, Travis Fryman, John Doherty, Mike "Give me 22 minutes, and I'll give you an appearance" Moore, etc.

That was then, and this, now, is "Wow." I can count on "that young man" coming from his mouth in the first five minutes of any game action, it has also degenerated to nearly every safety struck being a "buggy whip." I mean, all indications are that the Tigers are going to suck this year, unless a sea change occurs in the offense, so do we have to listen to that which comes from Ol' Jim, while we suffer the result?

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:01 am

Wasn't Price always in the bullpen catching? Was he ever actually on the 25-man roster? I thought he was in the same category as pitching coach, got a uniform and number, but couldn't actually play in a game? I never saw him in a game, not even with an injured catcher?

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:14 am

It is an easy lookup. If you don't wanna click the link, he had a -0.9 WAR.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... ji01.shtml

originalzzmfmjock

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:39 am

Jim Price was on the Tiger's roster for 5 seasons, 1967-1971. Mainly as the backup to Bill Freehan. His best season was probably 1969 when he hit .234 with 9 Home Runs and 28 RBI's. Jim was a career .214 hitter. Not great stats, but probably better than any of us who diss him on the buzzboard. He was good enough to make it to the major leagues, while I had to be satisfied with a High School career.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:44 am

Good point, he made the big leagues more than we can say. I recall going to Tiger Stadium and thinking Price had the crappiest job: catching in the bullpen, bad on the knees for certain.
My grandfather used to watch Jim Leyland play in Perrysburg and was blown away by how good of a player he was, and always said he was MLB caliber, but Leyland made his mark more as the guy who taught Gibby, Trammell and Parrish how to play baseball in Lakeland and turn them into World Series winners later in their careers.
Now if Ernie & Paul could just manage Price...?

sparty89

Post by sparty89 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:37 pm

During the pregame show this afternoon, Price laughed at the KC starter because he has an ERA >12. The Tigers' pathetic lineup will probably make him look like Cy Young.

deadend

Post by deadend » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:37 pm

Did he have a mouth full of food when he said it?

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:42 pm

Not hard to do early in the year when you only pitch 2/3 inning and it gets knocked out of the park!

FormerNews5Dude

Post by FormerNews5Dude » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:53 pm

"The art of pitching is strong...the ball comes out of that same key hole." How the hell did we go from Ernie and Paul to this?

Realist

Post by Realist » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:10 pm

FormerNews5Dude wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:53 pm
"The art of pitching is strong...the ball comes out of that same key hole." How the hell did we go from Ernie and Paul to this?
Simple - Price is an ass kissing yes man to the Illitch’s

DAC

Post by DAC » Sat May 01, 2021 1:47 am

originalzzmfmjock wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:39 am
Jim Price was on the Tiger's roster for 5 seasons, 1967-1971. Mainly as the backup to Bill Freehan. His best season was probably 1969 when he hit .234 with 9 Home Runs and 28 RBI's. Jim was a career .214 hitter. Not great stats, but probably better than any of us who diss him on the buzzboard. He was good enough to make it to the major leagues, while I had to be satisfied with a High School career.
Nobody is criticizing him as a baseball player. We are criticizing him as a broadcaster. What difference does it make if we weren't good enough to make the major leagues and he was? We're the customer in this situation, it makes NO DIFFERENCE what Price did in a previous job that few people ever achieve. There are even fewer MLB announcers than there are ballplayers. Are we supposed to put up with this incompetence because he has the job while we, again the customers, don't? The idea is to get people to listen, and enjoy it enough to keep listening! If he's only broadcasting for other former major league players to enjoy, then that's a pretty small audience.

Your argument is like saying that we can't vote against the incumbent president in an election because none of us were president. Hogwash.

Daenerys

Post by Daenerys » Sat May 01, 2021 4:25 pm

DAC wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:47 am
originalzzmfmjock wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:39 am
Nobody is criticizing him as a baseball player. We are criticizing him as a broadcaster. What difference does it make if we weren't good enough to make the major leagues and he was? We're the customer in this situation, it makes NO DIFFERENCE what Price did in a previous job that few people ever achieve. There are even fewer MLB announcers than there are ballplayers. Are we supposed to put up with this incompetence because he has the job while we, again the customers, don't? The idea is to get people to listen, and enjoy it enough to keep listening! If he's only broadcasting for other former major league players to enjoy, then that's a pretty small audience.

Your argument is like saying that we can't vote against the incumbent president in an election because none of us were president. Hogwash.
The dude is 80 years old. Move on to something that matters.

originalzzmfmjock

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Sat May 01, 2021 10:33 pm

Well, a post above did ask it Jim Price was ever on a 25 man roster in the major leagues. I think I accurately answered that question. Whether he is qualified to broadcast a baseball game isn't my decision. Thankfully.

Transmitter

Post by Transmitter » Sun May 02, 2021 5:47 pm

He usually only played in the second game of doubleheaders, so Freehan could get a rest behind the plate.

deadend

Post by deadend » Sun May 02, 2021 5:58 pm

Jim Price really ruined the 2006-2012 resurgence that the Tigers had. For the first time in about 15 years they were generating a lot of excitement and new fans. Jim Price sucked the life out of every broadcast and took exciting moments and ruined it by his monotone “wow”, “the art of pitching”, “nice area”, eating on the air and random, inappropriate laughter.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic