Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

JIM PRICE STINKS !!!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Bobbert

Re: JIM PRICE STINKS !!!

Post by Bobbert » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:46 pm

Price has always been a company man, and has probably done everything possible through the years to be a favorite of the Tigers management. This video from the locker room after the Tigers won the 1968 World Series is very revealing: https://youtu.be/7tSVM_YHz9c?t=9488

deadend

Post by deadend » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:18 pm

He was just as boring and unenthusiastic then is he is now. All he needed was to be eating a hot dog and a bag of popcorn while being interviewed.

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:08 pm

He was just as boring and unenthusiastic then is he is now. All he needed was to be eating a hot dog and a bag of popcorn while being interviewed.
Obsessed much? The sixth time in a five page thread that you're rehashing this alleged eating on the air. Yes, I know it isn't just you on that. That and the same comments over and over for years about Hank Winchester. Knock yourself out, though.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:20 pm

I checked out Price's Wikipedia page and found a section on his quirks and signature phrases.

This particular edit was entertaining:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =725728416

The edits also include many "Reverting possible vandalism" changes, usually to delete references to him eating on the air.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:27 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:46 pm
Price has always been a company man, and has probably done everything possible through the years to be a favorite of the Tigers management. This video from the locker room after the Tigers won the 1968 World Series is very revealing: https://youtu.be/7tSVM_YHz9c?t=9488
He looks like he just won the playoffs for JV baseball at Wayne memorial high.

DAC

Post by DAC » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:47 pm

Does anyone know why Dickerson is on TV today (Sun 4/18)? I actually like him much better on television. I don't know who is stuck with Price on the radio end, but I'm not willing to tune in and find out.

Bull Shannon

Post by Bull Shannon » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:59 pm

DAC wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:47 pm
Does anyone know why Dickerson is on TV today (Sun 4/18)? I actually like him much better on television. I don't know who is stuck with Price on the radio end, but I'm not willing to tune in and find out.
Apparently Whitecaps' play-by-play announcer Dan Hasty filled in on the radio end: https://www.facebook.com/wmwcaps/posts/ ... 5995490432

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:42 pm

Bull Shannon wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:59 pm
DAC wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:47 pm
Apparently Whitecaps' play-by-play announcer Dan Hasty filled in on the radio end: https://www.facebook.com/wmwcaps/posts/ ... 5995490432
Apparently, Matt Shepherd is "sick". So they decided to pull the switcheroo on the TV and radio broadcasts.

Mouse58756

Post by Mouse58756 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:21 pm

Dickerson is better on TV if for no other reason than I can see the score as opposed to waiting until the end of the inning for him to say the score.

Regardless of who’s doing play by play, Price is unlistenable.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:17 pm

In agreement with the opinion that Dickerson is a better fit on TV.

My opinion of Shepard is that he is like many of the Tigers players ... AAAA caliber. Not minor league, but not really major league either.

Keep Dickerson on TV, bring back Impemba for the radio and pair him with Craig Monroe who has been busting his butt long enough to get a shot as a full-time analyst.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Mouse58756

Post by Mouse58756 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:20 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:17 pm

My opinion of Shepard is that he is like many of the Tigers players ... AAAA caliber. Not minor league, but not really major league either.

Keep Dickerson on TV, bring back Impemba for the radio and pair him with Craig Monroe who has been busting his butt long enough to get a shot as a full-time analyst.
I could get behind this. I like Shep but he’s not the best option for full time play by play. I really liked Mario and think he got a raw deal with the whole Rod Allen thing. Though it does take two to tango.

DAC

Post by DAC » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:43 pm

Mouse58756 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:20 pm
Robert Faygo wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:17 pm

I could get behind this. I like Shep but he’s not the best option for full time play by play. I really liked Mario and think he got a raw deal with the whole Rod Allen thing. Though it does take two to tango.
I could get behind this as well. Shep is okay, but it's really annoying how he overplays his friendships with his color analysts, whoever they are. From the opening ("I'm Matt Shepherd, here with my FRIEND and partner Kirk Gibson!") through the idle conversations through the games ("Hey Gibby, when we're on the golf course, you always say xyz! When we were pheasant hunting last year, you compared xyz to a baseball situation!") it's too much. I think the Tigers overestimate how much we care whether the announcing tandems are friends or not. As long as they are professional and competent, who really cares if they are best buds or not? Penn Jillette (of "Penn & Teller" fame) is quick to point out in interviews that he and Teller like each other, but they aren't close friends. They work well together, are extremely professional, and are among the best (if not THE best) in their business.

Also, Jim Price Stinks.

musicfan

Post by musicfan » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:58 pm

What's annoying, as well, is that Shep seems to think that he is a talk show host. Always asking questions of the color analyst like he is Carson, Letterman or Kimmel. He also appears to think that we need to be inundated with trivial statistics ("That double down the first base line by Miggy was the first during a sunny day before 1:30 PM since Tom Brookens did so in 1984"). The idiot just needs to provide play by play. Also, how may times do we need to hear that he is with the two time World Champion Kirk Gibson, or the Hall of Famer Jack Morris? We know this already, so stop cramming it down our throat.

Also, Jim Price still Stinks.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:16 pm

"musicfan" you cracked me up with your Tommy Brookens statistic!
Yes, Jim Price still stinks, and so does the reception in Oregon (East side of Toledo) for Tigers games. 1270 is a sh*thole here, even on the super duper Kenwood HD radio, and 98.1 isn't much better either. 1470 was a good square peg to fill the round hole over here. Now here's what makes it even crappier, if that's possible?
Since I have no consistently decent OTA AM/FM broadcast of the Tigers games, my plan was to get a SiriusXM radio sub for the car.
I got all lined-up with their 'standard' satellite package- THEN, get a notice that you have to "upgrade" to a higher tier now to get MLB PBP games! WTF? You get stuck paying for Stern, who I don't give 2 sheets about, in order to get the MLB home games that WERE included on the satellite package a month ago. Screw job all the way around.

BirdieKingBobo

Post by BirdieKingBobo » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:31 am

I played in the Little League State Tournament in Taylor in 1991... At our reception dinner, the guest speaker was........ JIM PRICE..... My goodness, he was awful that July night in Taylor. I still have nightmares of that fateful night in Taylor; where he talked for a good 90 minutes about Al Kaline and being a Back Up catcher to bunch of teenagers. And every time I want to listen to the Tigers, I have flashbacks to that night.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic