Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

If you care about free Radio and Television....

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 15265

If you care about free Radio and Television....

Post by Deleted User 15265 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:54 am

If you care about free over the air radio and television please read and let our politicians in Washington know here's a website from the NAB. www.wearebroadcasters.com, Thanks

learn to fly

Re: If you care about free Radio and Television....

Post by learn to fly » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:12 am

The questions asked and the letters they ask us to write really have no relevance anymore. I don't get any local information from any stations.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:45 am

They've already swiped half of the UHF TV band for others to make cash- they should have made T-Mobile buy all of us nice big LOW-Band VHF antennae for the displaced stations that had to move down the band. The TV stations themselves got money to relocate their signal, but the general public didn't get nice antennas like they did with the credit for the HDTV converter boxes. The public didn't get jack from the 600MHz TV spectrum steal for the big buck cellphone providers.

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:49 am

WOHO wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:45 am
They've already swiped half of the UHF TV band for others to make cash- they should have made T-Mobile buy all of us nice big LOW-Band VHF antennae for the displaced stations that had to move down the band. The TV stations themselves got money to relocate their signal, but the general public didn't get nice antennas like they did with the credit for the HDTV converter boxes. The public didn't get jack from the 600MHz TV spectrum steal for the big buck cellphone providers.
I agree 100% that Congress and the FCC keeps taking spectrum from broadcasters and selling it to the big buck cellphone providers. They didn't pay anywhere near the real value of the spectrum, but now it's in their control!

Has anyone else noticed that NAB doesn't allow Low Power TV stations join their organization? Only "Full Power" TV stations can join. There are thousands more LPTV stations than Full Power, but NAB decided they don't want to represent the LPTV stations. The big stations can pay more to join!

Frontier Airlines SUCKS! They're a bunch of thieves. Don't fly with them!

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:26 pm

The LPTVs has their own lobby group, but I don’t know if they exist anymore. With subchannels being the norm, fewer and fewer LPTVs are affiliating with the big four networks in smaller markets.

YpsiGuy

Post by YpsiGuy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:25 pm

The biggest enemy to free OTA television is the conditional access system built into ATSC 3.0

When the broadcasters get it implemented, they will be just as bad as the cable/satellite providers.

Deleted User 15265

Post by Deleted User 15265 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:33 pm

Conditional access is not a good thing if television stations start to charge for subchannels, if I remember HD radio was thinking along the same idea 15 years ago the subchannels were going to be conditional access if conditional access becomes a reality more viewers may just stream with more choices at lower monthly rates and over the air will lose another negative for ATSC 3.0 it's not mandated and left up to the marketplace that could be a big issue as well.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:53 pm

Wow! That's one lllloooonnnnnggggg sentence! Yet another place the troll is spamming. All the Michigan forums are spammed.

People are choosing other mediums, other than TX. There are far more advantages to internet, cable and sat. Control of content is a major one for me. Since I moved this month, I have not hooked my 3 antennas up. Not missing terrestrial TV or radio. Not missing the local "news" dramacasts either. No more ratings games like... "Is City Hall poisoning your home?" Special investigative drama, to lure everyone to watch. Same goes for that 45" snowstorm, that never happens in sweeps months. Not touching the website. Adios local TV and radio!

bobhuge

Post by bobhuge » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:37 pm

News flash....current ota broadcast is already a thing of the past. Once the us govt gets the delivery network in place to offer free LTE or 5g or whatever to everyone; fm, am, vhf and uhf will shutdown. Advertisers already run the game and are just waiting to be able to geotarget everything we do. Pluto.tv and Pandora are proof that the old way on a new medium will work. It's just a matter of when, not if.

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:45 pm

bobhuge wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:37 pm
News flash....current ota broadcast is already a thing of the past. Once the us govt gets the delivery network in place to offer free LTE or 5g or whatever to everyone; fm, am, vhf and uhf will shutdown. Advertisers already run the game and are just waiting to be able to geotarget everything we do. Pluto.tv and Pandora are proof that the old way on a new medium will work. It's just a matter of when, not if.
That's what they said about Radio when TV came along in the 50's.

You and I will be long dead before OTA goes away!

Frontier Airlines SUCKS! They're a bunch of thieves. Don't fly with them!

bobhuge

Post by bobhuge » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:42 pm

tvbobn wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:45 pm
bobhuge wrote:
That's what they said about Radio when TV came along in the 50's.

You and I will be long dead before OTA goes away!
Yeah, you're right about that. The audience and societal position changed, but it didn't kill it.

But....did video kill the radio star? 😁

Deleted User 15265

Post by Deleted User 15265 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:06 pm

bobhuge wrote:
I agree with you, I stream all of my radio listening and all of my television viewing and experience zero problems. Over the air television will be finished as soon as ATSC 3.0 starts to kick in and the broadcasters get greedy with conditional access. And one more fact technology is moving faster in 2020 than what it did in the 1950’s.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:48 pm

bobhuge wrote:
Amen... said the same thing on the same exact thread in G. R. forum. It's kinda like shortwave too.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:50 pm

Classichits939 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:06 pm
bobhuge wrote:
I agree with you, I stream all of my radio listening and all of my television viewing and experience zero problems. Over the air television will be finished as soon as ATSC 3.0 starts to kick in and the broadcasters get greedy with conditional access. And one more fact technology is moving faster in 2020 than what it did in the 1950’s.
So... are you for or against local TV? You are talking out of both sides of your mouth.

And why would you put this same post in so many areas? You do realize that pissed off the owner of this page, right?

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:56 pm

YpsiGuy wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:25 pm
The biggest enemy to free OTA television is the conditional access system built into ATSC 3.0

When the broadcasters get it implemented, they will be just as bad as the cable/satellite providers.
The good news is that people can get info and entertainment from other sources. Look at the newspapers. They force you to pay too. However, many people go around this all the time. Newspaper collection apps, CNN online, Haystack, Channel 1, CBSN Detroit (on it's way soon) and other cities, radio news, etc. People will steer clear of the new subscription channels.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic