Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

RePack Phase 8 started

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
szmigiel

RePack Phase 8 started

Post by szmigiel » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:27 am

We have 9 stations moving frequencies before March 14. Including most of the major networks expect for Fox.

WHNE 14 (IND) 20 to 3
WUDT 23 (IND) 23 to 8
WTVS 56 (PBS) 43 to 20
WWJ 62 (CBS) 44 to 21
WPXD 31 (ION) 50 to 24
WXYZ 7 (ABC) 41 to 25
WADL 38 (IND) 39 to 27
WLPC 40 (IND) 40 to 28
WDIV 4 (NBC) 45 to 32

While most probably won't move till the last week of the repack, I do think WHNE 14 will move early since WTVS is moving to the frequency they are currently on.

szmigiel

Re: RePack Phase 8 started

Post by szmigiel » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:48 pm

WDIV has a test signal on 32.1, just color bars

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:44 pm

I have the PSIP signal down here in Temperance, displaying 32-1 (not 4-1)

I'm not sure if my signal is below decode level, or if they're running the silent version of "blackout" ☺

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:21 am

it keeps rebooting the screen, but it has no sounds or video.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:52 pm

i'm gonna miss WHNE-LD once they move to channel 3... any chance for Light and GetTV to be simulcast on another broadcaster?

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:42 pm

WHNE is going where digital TV signals go to die. They should have left that for a DRM digital radio band instead, anything but a very underpowered Lo-Band VHF signal. Most, not all, but MOST of the so called Digital TV antennae are only good for VHF-HI, if they cover VHF at all, as many are only UHF, so a real screw job for many stations. Full metal jacket Channel Master log periodic is the only way you have a snowball's chance in hell of digital RF channel 3 (or 2, 4, 5 and 6). Any why the FCC power tables are so low for all of the VHF HI and LOW band to approximate their old analog coverage area, amazes me, as it isn't the same, but then again, we could watch through snow while digital just does its bad thing.
When is WUPW Toledo going to move? I think they are the last in the Toledo market not to move yet?
T-Mobile must be happy, getting all that juicy 600MHz TV spectrum for their one-way 5G transmit?

windsor

Post by windsor » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:32 am

RingtailedFox wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:52 pm
i'm gonna miss WHNE-LD once they move to channel 3... any chance for Light and GetTV to be simulcast on another broadcaster?
Ringtail.....do you think Windsor will blacked out bc of the move to rf3??? I hope not my vhf side of the combo is an 80 mile range.I watch a lot of those channels...………. :horns

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:35 pm

I don't think we'll be blacked out... but you and I are gonna need new VHF-Low antennas to keep reception of them going...

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

windsor

Post by windsor » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:51 am

How did crappy WLPC get a rf28 spot and a station that runs professionally get low vhf...that BS!!!!

When this repack started WHNE stated that they were going to reconfigure theyre signal a certain way to still be able to be picked up without adding an antenna.I don't know if that's possible with vhf low??

We'll have to wait and see.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:12 am

RingtailedFox wrote:
If you can come by about 8 feet of old-school TV twinlead, build a simple folded dipole antenna, basically a plus-size version of the ubiquitous folded dipole antennas that came with millions of FM tuners.

I use a similar antenna in the attic to receive Toledo's 3 VHF stations (40, 11 and 13).

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:47 pm

WHNE is very active on social media, posting updates daily on its Facebook page regarding programs, episodes airing, news related to actors in shows carried by the station etc.
The other day, WHNE posted the message below regarding the upcoming repack, including concerns about low VHF 3. This is much more information about the March changes than any other station in the market has provided the public.
ATTENTION WHNE TV VIEWERS!
Over the last few years, Congress and the FCC have conducted a Spectrum Auction. This process is to move every TV broadcast station in the country that was on channels 38 to 51 down into channels 2 thru 36. This means ALL broadcast stations will be squeezed into channels 2 thru 36. It's called the "Repack". Here in Detroit some channels have already made a channel change. The rest of the stations in the Detroit market will be changing to their new channels by March 13th. This channel change includes WHNE to channel 3.
WHNE is going to change to channel 3, which is a Low VHF channel. After March 13th there will be 4 VHF broadcast stations in Detroit! You will loose your broadcast stations unless you do a "rescan" on your TV set. You may end up doing a rescan more than once since most stations will be changing channels, but not all at the exact same time!
VHF antennas are usually larger than the little antennas that many people have been using for UHF channels that most stations have been using since going digital several years ago. VHF is divided into two parts (Low VHF and High VHF). This is important because some antennas are designed for High VHF, but not Low VHF, so it's very important that if you are purchasing a new antenna for WHNE that you buy one designed for "Low VHF".
The old style Rabbit Ear antennas used years ago should work around the Detroit area. The round part on the bottom of the antenna is for UHF. The pull-out sticks are for VHF. If you pull the sticks out all the way, it should work for channel 3 (the new channel to watch WHNE). Rabbit Ears style antennas are available at Walmart, Home Depot or that type of store for around $10. Larger outdoor or attic VHF antennas will work better, but will cost more and require some installation. If you're still using a large outdoor antenna from years ago, it may work just fine. Unfortunately, you won't know until we change to channel 3 and you have trouble receiving WHNE.
We would really like to keep all our viewers and would like to help you with low cost antenna choices. We'll be monitoring our Facebook page making suggestions or replying directly to comments to help viewers with problems getting the new WHNE TV on channel 3.
On our part, we are purchasing a brand new antenna system on a big tower in Oak Park. We are also purchasing a new transmitter that is several times bigger than the current transmitter! We are doing everything that we can to make the "repack" go as smoothly as possible. We will be making our changes in early March, so watch this Facebook page for updates of our progress.
You can check our web page at: www.whnetv.com as well.

windsor

Post by windsor » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:46 pm

I don't think a rabbit ears indoor ant will cut it my way.Might have to mount it outdoors on my pole and use an A/B switch which will mean some loss.

Our best LP station designated to low VHF....that sucks.

windsor

Post by windsor » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:48 pm

innate-in-you wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:12 am
RingtailedFox wrote:
If you can come by about 8 feet of old-school TV twinlead, build a simple folded dipole antenna, basically a plus-size version of the ubiquitous folded dipole antennas that came with millions of FM tuners.

I use a similar antenna in the attic to receive Toledo's 3 VHF stations (40, 11 and 13).
What gauge copper wire could be used for something similar???? Or how bout a coat hangar???

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:55 pm

Rabbit ears will probably not work for VHF 3 due to electrical interference that was so obvious during the analog days. I have only picked up WLMB a few times because of that.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:12 pm

I'm not sure about Metro Detroit, but VHF 3 was always noisy in the Grand Rapids area during the analog days. With a properly installed rooftop antenna, WWMT delivered a clean signal, but with indoor rabbit ears, silver or yellowish diagonal bars constantly danced across the screen. I think this was caused by power lines outside.

In Metro Detroit and Ann Arbor, I always had very good success at picking up a clean picture on WDIV channel 4, but Fox 2 was hit or miss.

While rabbit ears are still easy to find, many of the inexpensive ones are only engineering to receive VHF 7 and above. It's somewhat difficult to find rabbit ears that extend to three foot or longer on the store shelf.

By the way, WHNE will be broadcasting with 6.5 kW ERP, not 3.0 kW as earlier reported. Their STA request to use 6.5 kW was granted.

https://fccdata.org/?lang=en&appid=2507 ... cid=168737

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic