Registrations in the queue through July 3 at 8:30p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Three CBS-Owned CW Stations Add Nightly News

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Editorcj
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:49 pm

Re: Three CBS-Owned CW Stations Add Nightly News

Post by Editorcj » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:46 pm

In order to claim some political money, they will need to generate a rating point. Hash marks won't cut it.



Rate This
Posts: 3373
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:17 am

Re: Three CBS-Owned CW Stations Add Nightly News

Post by Rate This » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:53 pm

Editorcj wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:46 pm
In order to claim some political money, they will need to generate a rating point. Hash marks won't cut it.
Are there any MMJ’s in need of a job that anybody has heard of locally?



User avatar
mtburb
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Re: Three CBS-Owned CW Stations Add Nightly News

Post by mtburb » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:16 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:17 am
rugratsonline wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:27 am
SixPlusOne wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:25 pm
The newscasts will be produced at another CBS-owned station, which will add national news, sports and weather, then sent back to the station where it will air.
In Detroit's case, it will be produced at another CBS-owned station that has a full news department.
SixPlusOne wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:25 pm
WKBD Detroit will debut 10 p.m. news Jan. 22. WUPA Atlanta and WTOG Tampa are expected to start 10 p.m. news in February."
It would also be a return of the 10PM newscasts to WKBD and WTOG -- both were axed in the late-1990s, after the startup of UPN.
WKBD’s ended in 2002... then 7 ran it until 2004-ish...
7 ran it until 2005. Following that, WKBD did air an in-house morning newscast that launched in 2011 and was cancelled in 2012.


My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

Rate This
Posts: 3373
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:17 am

Re: Three CBS-Owned CW Stations Add Nightly News

Post by Rate This » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:46 pm

mtburb wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:16 pm
Rate This wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:17 am
rugratsonline wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:27 am
SixPlusOne wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:25 pm
The newscasts will be produced at another CBS-owned station, which will add national news, sports and weather, then sent back to the station where it will air.
In Detroit's case, it will be produced at another CBS-owned station that has a full news department.
SixPlusOne wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:25 pm
WKBD Detroit will debut 10 p.m. news Jan. 22. WUPA Atlanta and WTOG Tampa are expected to start 10 p.m. news in February."
It would also be a return of the 10PM newscasts to WKBD and WTOG -- both were axed in the late-1990s, after the startup of UPN.
WKBD’s ended in 2002... then 7 ran it until 2004-ish...
7 ran it until 2005. Following that, WKBD did air an in-house morning newscast that launched in 2011 and was cancelled in 2012.
First Forecast Mornings with Syma Chowdrey, Randy Bihrdo and ?



User avatar
SolarMax
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:59 pm
Location: 313

Re: Three CBS-Owned CW Stations Add Nightly News

Post by SolarMax » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:35 pm

...Following that, WKBD did air an in-house morning newscast that launched in 2011 and was cancelled in 2012.
First Forecast Mornings with Syma Chowdrey, Randy Bihrdo and ?
The morning show launched on WWJ-TV in May 2009, as a collaborative effort with the Detroit Free Press.
Anchor was Mike Brookbank (now in Cleveland), a TV reporter employed by the Free Press, not the station. After management/ownership changes at the Freep caused them to withdraw from producing the news segment, full production of FFM reverted to WWJ-TV, which hired a news producer, brought in anchor Syma Chowdry (now at WXYZ). Randy Bhirdo did traffic, weather was at first by Lori Pinson and later Jill Washburn (both now at WJBK). Later on during the run of the show, it went to 4 hours, 5-7a on WWJ then WKBD from 7-9am.



MrTaterSalad
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:18 pm

Re: Three CBS-Owned CW Stations Add Nightly News

Post by MrTaterSalad » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:41 am

So the return of Emery King to local news has a zero percent chance at happening with this?



Rate This
Posts: 3373
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:17 am

Re: Three CBS-Owned CW Stations Add Nightly News

Post by Rate This » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:49 am

MrTaterSalad wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:41 am
So the return of Emery King to local news has a zero percent chance at happening with this?
Yes... zero.

Isn’t Emory King a tad old by now?



JackAttack FM
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:50 pm

Re: Three CBS-Owned CW Stations Add Nightly News

Post by JackAttack FM » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:06 am

mtburb wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:16 pm
Rate This wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:17 am
rugratsonline wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:27 am
SixPlusOne wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:25 pm
The newscasts will be produced at another CBS-owned station, which will add national news, sports and weather, then sent back to the station where it will air.
In Detroit's case, it will be produced at another CBS-owned station that has a full news department.
SixPlusOne wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:25 pm
WKBD Detroit will debut 10 p.m. news Jan. 22. WUPA Atlanta and WTOG Tampa are expected to start 10 p.m. news in February."
It would also be a return of the 10PM newscasts to WKBD and WTOG -- both were axed in the late-1990s, after the startup of UPN.
WKBD’s ended in 2002... then 7 ran it until 2004-ish...
7 ran it until 2005.
December 2004. Wikipedia has it wrong.



CircleWXYZ
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Three CBS-Owned CW Stations Add Nightly News

Post by CircleWXYZ » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:18 pm

This is an epic fail.

I’ll give this a few months. They will get slaughtered by Fox 2



Rate This
Posts: 3373
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:17 am

Re: Three CBS-Owned CW Stations Add Nightly News

Post by Rate This » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:29 pm

Who did they wrangle in to be their MMJ?

It’s definitely bad but I have to say... Karen Carter makes Hank Winchester’s lisp look like the queens English... I hadn’t bothered to see the 11pm weather hit since Maddus retired. Everu S is a TH... Yikes.

It says 10-11pm on my guide but at 1028 it appears to be over...



User avatar
mtburb
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Re: Three CBS-Owned CW Stations Add Nightly News

Post by mtburb » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:32 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:29 pm
Who did they wrangle in to be their MMJ?

It’s definitely bad but I have to say... Karen Carter makes Hank Winchester’s lisp look like the queens English... I hadn’t bothered to see the 11pm weather hit since Maddus retired. Everu S is a TH... Yikes.

It says 10-11pm on my guide but at 1028 it appears to be over...
The second half-hour is just a repeat of the first half-hour.


My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

Rate This
Posts: 3373
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:17 am

Re: Three CBS-Owned CW Stations Add Nightly News

Post by Rate This » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:35 pm

mtburb wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:32 pm
Rate This wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:29 pm
Who did they wrangle in to be their MMJ?

It’s definitely bad but I have to say... Karen Carter makes Hank Winchester’s lisp look like the queens English... I hadn’t bothered to see the 11pm weather hit since Maddus retired. Everu S is a TH... Yikes.

It says 10-11pm on my guide but at 1028 it appears to be over...
The second half-hour is just a repeat of the first half-hour.
Ah, the guide doesn’t differentiate I guess... this is weird. April Morton apparently was at WNEM previously. Maybe she’s the one and only MMJ they took on, her writing was actually not that bad.



SixPlusOne
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:03 am

Re: Three CBS-Owned CW Stations Add Nightly News

Post by SixPlusOne » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:00 pm

As a Dish subscriber I was able to double box the two shows. I had 50 on the left and 38 on the right.

They're both weak as they are limited by just the half hour. 50 had less than 15 minutes of news with what I will call "fill" for the rest of the half hour. The weather segment was OK but don't look for sport scores. I didn't expect the repeat on 50 on the half hour either. At least the news talent was lively. One thing I liked on 50s show was that everything was cut tight and all footage shot on location the camera was on sticks so all shots were steady.

If I had to guess I think the CW show to three stations is an experiment to see how it flies. Why else would you feed it to just 3 stations.

38s show almost looks like a televised radio show. There was an emphasis on interviews when news stories weren't presented. Photos relating to news content were wallet size in my opinion. They lacked color with an emphasis on black and white I thought. No weather, sports or even fill. I was not impressed but WADL probably is severely limited.



Mike Oxlong
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:56 am
Location: Nankin Township

Re: Three CBS-Owned CW Stations Add Nightly News

Post by Mike Oxlong » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:59 am

Rate This wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:46 pm
First Forecast Mornings with Syma Chowdrey, Randy Bihrdo and ?
If I'm not mistaken, it was Jill Washburn.



Mike Oxlong
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:56 am
Location: Nankin Township

Re: Three CBS-Owned CW Stations Add Nightly News

Post by Mike Oxlong » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:01 am

MrTaterSalad wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:41 am
So the return of Emery King to local news has a zero percent chance at happening with this?
Hopefully it is zero percent.
If half the suggestions in this thread come to pass, I'm going to buy stock in Geritol.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic