Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Bally Sports May Lose TV Rights to MLB Next Week

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Bally Sports May Lose TV Rights to MLB Next Week

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:05 pm

No big loss.

I ditched Comcrap (and thus Bally Sports) about 10 days ago. Fantastic decision on my part. :)

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:14 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:05 pm
No big loss.

I ditched Comcrap (and thus Bally Sports) about 10 days ago. Fantastic decision on my part. :)
What did you switch to and how do you like it? Did you keep Comcast internet?

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:19 pm

Tigers could be playing on TV 20 this season. I'm guessing Illich would produce the show and sell it to 20 or 50 for cash and or time. Would be a golden opportunity for the technical crew who works the games to unionize and get a contract right off the bat. If Ballys Detroit loses the Tigers this season, the Wings and Pistons will follow next season if not sooner.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:40 pm

Matt wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:14 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
No big loss.

What did you switch to and how do you like it? Did you keep Comcast internet?
YouTube TV. I do still use Comcast for Internet.

Instead of paying $259 a month for cable + DVR + adapter boxes + internet + phone (need it for my security system), I now pay about $180 a month. The last straw was when Comcast raised my monthly bill from $219 to $259.

When factoring in cash back for streaming services from my credit card issuer, the net price is closer to $175 than $180.

If I were to drop the Comcrap phone line, my bill would only drop by $16 more dollars.

I did choose to drop back from 800 mbps internet to 400 mbps. I own my modem; paying cable company rental fees is unnecessary. Dropping speed saved me $5 or $6 a month; I've noticed little actual impact. Speed tests are producing results very close to before.

5.1 audio quality is better with YouTube TV and some networks even seem to have slightly better picture quality.

Full review here:
https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 27&t=63329

YouTube TV has a good promo for new subscribers right now. The rates I referenced above are based on the regular price.

tigerwings

Post by tigerwings » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:17 pm

20 or 50 is the best way to go.

Sucks for me because I can't pick up either 20 or 50. BSD is on Directv in NWO along with Cleveland and Cincy.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.

― Seneca

edj

Post by edj » Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:15 pm

The fact Adell's guy posted this- could it be WADL is somehow negotiating Tigers rights? Sounds like an extreme longshot but you never know.

How is CW in regards to preemption? That could put 20 out of the mix.

Taco

Post by Taco » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:55 am

I guess Friday will be the big day to see what happens. I hope Bally gives the MLB up. Then maybe the MLB will put the games back on OTA.

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:39 am

so then I'd guess they'd have to syndicate the games to stations in Toledo, GR, Flint, etc. where 20 and 50 aren't available, and the games would most likely air on subchannels in those markets. At least until if/when MLB ever lifts the stupid regional blackouts on its TV packages.

Rich S

Post by Rich S » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:07 pm

OTA would be great. Seems like the Tigers could build their audience. Back in the 1990’s the Tigers had some of the highest TV ratings in the country.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:09 pm

Courtesy: Sportico

DIAMOND, MLB NEAR DEAL TO KEEP RSNS IN PLACE THROUGH 2024

https://www.sportico.com/business/media ... 234758238/

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:17 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
No big loss.

I only have Xfinity for my phone and internet, I gave up cable a year or so ago....
(Tired of Comcast raising rates and at the same time eliminating or making channels I had more expensive)
I don't get Bally Sports....
Or The NFL Network
Or Peacock
Or Amazon Prime, which makes me miss many football games, I hope when the Lions are playing they are on FOX or CBS/NBC...
All these Pro Sports leagues make $$$$$, yet want me to pay to watch their product on TV....
Bullsh*t.....greed, greed and more greed....

A1B1C1D1

Post by A1B1C1D1 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:59 pm

Per the Wall Street Journal: Amazon is looking to bring Diamond Sports into its Prime offerings. I was surprised to see the Red Wings/Flyers game a couple of nights ago was 'Presented by Amazon' so some money has already gone to Diamond. Also per WSJ Amazon owns a stake in the YES network in New York.

The Bally App while recently much improved is still clunky, and a Prime subscription would come out cheaper than the streaming app. Of course they could begin charging Prime subscribers extra for sports as Max will soon do.

The broadcast quality for Bally Detroit is fantastic in my opinion.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:59 am

Courtesy: TVNewsCheck

Local Broadcasts For 11 NHL Teams Will Remain On Bally Sports After Agreement

"The agreement provides stability for fans, networks and teams after Major League Baseball had to take over the broadcasts of San Diego Padres and Arizona Diamondbacks games last season after agreements could not be reached.

The NHL teams that are currently on Bally are: Anaheim, Carolina, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Florida, Los Angeles, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis and Tampa Bay

Diamond also reached the same type of agreement with the NBA for the 15 teams under contract to the RSNs last month."

https://tvnewscheck.com/business/articl ... agreement/

Fred

Post by Fred » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:01 pm

I'm curious to see how this really works out. Sinclair so over-paid for these networks that they broke the system. Nothing ever changes in these deals. It's always the same crews and same trucks, just a different "owner'.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic