Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Bobbert

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Bobbert » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:45 am

Momo wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:45 pm
Ron’s never played the lotto. Probably because he doesn’t have two nickels to rub together.
He sounded like a lot of people, including myself—played LOTTO a few times about 35 years ago, realized he'd probably never win, and stopped throwing away his money on it.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:35 am

Bobbert wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:45 am
Momo wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:45 pm
Ron’s never played the lotto. Probably because he doesn’t have two nickels to rub together.
He sounded like a lot of people, including myself—played LOTTO a few times about 35 years ago, realized he'd probably never win, and stopped throwing away his money on it.
I'm afraid you're assuming a rationality in Ron that has never been in evidence.

Kidcat

Post by Kidcat » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:28 pm

Momo I think you are being to hard on Ron.He must have something going for him to have lasted for over 50 years in sports radio.Just look at the following he has on the buzzboard.I know you are a loyal fan.who.has been following Ron for years.I share your frustration that Ron is not on the air more.However this is no reason to take it out on Ron.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:42 pm

Kidcat, please note that the overwhelming majority of Ron’s claimed “50 years in sports radio” has been in brokered radio. And mostly on unrated stations and/or in decidedly non-peak radio hours. So buying at bargain basement rates to get & stay on air (with a decidedly meager audience) is not nearly an accomplishment as someone who has successfully been employed over the years for his radio talents. But yes, give Ron credit for his stamina. And a lifetime of hustling.

To appreciate what a “loyal fan” I am, please consider what Bob Page has noted. Page has said that if he ever wrote his autobiography about a truly estimable career that’s included years in NYC the only person who would warrant two chapters is Ron Cameron, who, for mostly perverse reasons, “fascinates” him as he does me. I am a “loyal fan” only in this sense. I find his show to be such an unavoidable trainwreck that, even though Ron pleads for no more birthdays, I know you join me in hoping that he has many more birthdays beyond his 76th birthday this Tuesday.

I see that you’re relatively new to this Board, so, if you haven’t already, please take some time & read this entire thread from its rebirth in 12/19 after the parent thread (which began years earlier with initial posters noting that to know Ron was to despise him & that he appeared one step away from being homeless) was inadvertently deleted after about 80 pages. This will give you an opportunity to become better familiar with both real time & historical assessments of Ron’s execrable character. The endless overwhelming narcissism, lying, selfishness, meanness, etc., is so well-documented, that it fully warrants the scorn for him. At least in my opinion.

Kidcat

Post by Kidcat » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:21 pm

Momo I think it is safe to say that nobody follows Ron like you .I doubt that he knows that you exist.Enough said.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:29 pm

I’m not interested in personally occupying any of Ron’s limited bandwidth, but we certainly know that Ron is well aware of the disdain with which he’s (mostly) received here. That’s enough for me.

Kidcat

Post by Kidcat » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:54 pm

Mamo Come on.Do you realy think Ron cares that you have distain for him.Love him or hate him as long as you listen.I listened to Ron back in the 70s.If it was not for the buzzboard I would not have started listening to him again.I am sure Ron would thank you for promoting him if you were important enough for him to pay attention to.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:14 pm

I know you’re relatively new here, Kidcat, but you’re sadly misinformed if you believe mine has been an isolated or minority view. The overwhelming number of posters here over the years have mocked Ron with abandon. Deservedly so.

Ron eagerly laps up any hint of attention. Once, Mark Wilson mentioned a gathering of Detroiters in Las Vegas. Without missing a beat, Ron asked Mark if they knew him. In sharp contrast, whenever it is brought to his attention what a draw he is here, Ron immediately shuts down any discussion. “I don’t want to talk about it.” So he well knows the goings-on here.

I’m glad the activity on this thread piqued your interest. The comic awfulness of Ron is a subject that is sure to attract (almost) sure unanimity in these very divided times.

Kidcat

Post by Kidcat » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:23 pm

Momo I guess I just can't hate the guy .Perhaps in time I will.Despite his faults I do feel sorry for him.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:39 pm

I only listen (in small doses, and not every show) because it is a trainwreck. Cameron is not prepared and has no grasp of professionalism. His obsession with Blake Griffin is borderline pyschotic.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:14 pm

Kidcat wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:23 pm
Momo I guess I just can't hate the guy .Perhaps in time I will.Despite his faults I do feel sorry for him.
Granted he is a pitiable figure, having apparently never known his father, having had a distant relationship with his mother, being an only child, never advancing past the 8th grade. But, ultimately, we're all accountable for ourselves, especially when we reach Ron's age, & his noxious character, including his vile treatment of others, is definitional.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:45 am

Kidcat wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:23 pm
Same basic attitude here. When I first encountered him in the 1970s, I recognized him as a real character, and that impression hasn't changed. Five decades later, he's become a familiar voice, connecting me and other older users to the past.

Momo

Post by Momo » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:48 am

For the record, I don’t “hate” Ron. My hatred, such that it is, is reserved for more consequential figures. But I am - obviously - fascinated by how awful a broadcaster he is (per Page, he’s the only person who’s had a job for 50 years & never gotten any better at it) & how equally awful a person he seems to be. But I do miss him when he’s not on & hope he stays well & on the air for some time to come.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:57 am

It’s Friday!you know what that means, it’s been a bit of a busy week in the sports scene, wonder why Ron’s thoughts are on the new lions coach

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:44 am

On the Mr. Positive request line, please, Mr. Positive, ask Ron if he is in deep discussion to replace the retired (???) Eli Zaret & join his former partners Bob Page & Denny McLain on their podcast.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic