Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Ed Klee

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Ed Klee » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:38 pm

This thread is always entertaining :o

I am ordinary American!

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:48 pm

On the basis of what Alex has said, I'd be most surprised if we've heard the last of Ron on the airwaves. Even if he's now going to be a big restaurateur, Ron will need his radio show to promote his eatery. And to direct the autograph hounds.

1alexalway

Post by 1alexalway » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:31 pm

I have no insight on his big news but I'm pretty sure this isn't it.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:02 pm

Ron Cameron Roast

First up was an elderly gentleman with long white hair and a tattered old jean jacket with rusted buttons of Bobby Layne, Al Kaline, and Terry Sawchuk. "Remember me, Ronny!" said the man, only identified as East Side Louie. "Remember the old Knot Hole Gang days from Briggs Stadium!"

Former Tiger pitcher Jack Morris then strode up to the podium. "I just want to thank Ron for doing as much as possible to delay my induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame. Without that wait, I wouldn't have fully appreciated the honor of that induction. My only regret in my baseball career is that I didn't practice my High and Wild pitch every time Ron stood near the bullpen catcher at Tiger Stadium."

Another former Bengal hurler, Denny McLain, spoke next. "I want to thank Ron for helping me maintain a public profile, in spite of my notorious and shameless involvement with bookmaking, drug dealing, embezzling, and making a wrong turn in Port Huron. To repay that kindness, I promise to not be more than 10 minutes late for any radio interview in the future."

Former Baltimore Oriole star Cal Ripken moved to the podium. "You've heard Ron talk about my surprise encounter with Kevin Costner and my wife. I didn't actually see Kevin Costner's face or hear his voice—just saw his bare backside as he raced out the side door. But that was enough evidence for me, since one of my favorite movies is Dances With Wolves."

Next up was the head of the Detroit Area Psychology Association. "Let me express my profound gratitude to Ron for giving hundreds of callers the chance to act out their neurotic obsessions in a healthy and harmless manner."

The next speaker was the head of the Detroit Area Restaurant Association. "Not only did Ron help publicize the businesses of many of our association members, but he inspired hundreds of young entrepreneurs with his persistent quest to find the perfect Five Star shopping plaza hole-in-the-wall carryout joint."

The president of the National Procrastinator's Club, Al B. Later, now stood at the podium. "Ron's consistent promise to have news about his restaurant "next week" can now be put in the same class as Scarlett O'Hara's devotion to tomorrow; Wimpy's Tuesday payment for a hamburger today; and Jen Psaki's commitment to circle back."

Up next was Blake Griffin, formerly of the Detroit Pistons. "Many thanks to Ron for publicizing my desire to be a standup comedian in the Los Angeles area. I used the buyout money that I stole, I mean received, from the Pistons to hire Dan Dickerson and Jim Price away from the Detroit Tigers to be my Designated Laughers on the nights when the crowd's kind of rough."

Several of Ron's radio producers now walked to the podium. They thanked Ron for helping flatten their learning curve in the radio business by demonstrating to them how many things could go wrong on one show. At the end of their speeches, they played a sound cut from the last Sex Pistols concert in 1978, when Johnny Rotten said, "If you can put up with that, you can put up with anything."

A small commotion was stirred up in the room as former U.S. President Donald Trump made his way dramatically to the stage. "Ron, I know you've bad-mouthed me, like most sports commentators, but we have more in common than you might realize. Strong-willed, egotistical, opinionated, still going strong in our 70s, and true masters of the Art of the Deal. And of course, we both established ourselves in the 1980s—me with my hotels and other business ventures, you with your media empire (radio show, TV show, Sports Fan Journal)."

One of the most anticipated speakers of the night now took the podium—Ron's former TV partner Bob Page. In his best Jimmy Durante voice, Bob said, "Ron Cameron stories? I got a million of 'em!" He then continued, "You probably remember how I kidded Ron about his lack of a social life. Well, one night, at a bar after a taping of Sports View Today, Ron explained to me how he had applied his famous barter system to sponsorships by the Loving Touch in Ferndale and the Schvitz bathhouse in midtown Detroit. After that night, I never doubted Ron's virility."

The Man of the Evening now took the stage. "I know that your jokes have all been in good fun," Ron said. "You know that the only things I take personally are criticisms of game officials, independent thoughts from my producers, rubber checks from my sponsors, and radio guests being more than 15 seconds late."

Ron then broke into an a cappella version of "My Way." The spirit of his rendition more than compensated for the lack of technique. By the end of his song, there wasn't a dry eye in the house.
Last edited by Bobbert on Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:22 pm

Very funny, Bobbert. I'm trying to imagine the famously thin-skinned Ron Cameron agreeing to be roasted. There'd have to be a free meal involved.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:28 pm

Momo wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:22 pm
Very funny, Bobbert. I'm trying to imagine the famously thin-skinned Ron Cameron agreeing to be roasted. There'd have to be a free meal involved.
Thanks. I got my taste for satire back in the 1970s from this young guy in Indianapolis who did satirical pieces on a local radio station. Somebody named David Letterman.

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:47 am

Is this Ron on the air now?! Has he used his hiatus to master a new language?

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:06 am

Is Ron attempting to keep us all waiting for his appearance today? Similar to the Placido Polanco or John Ogrodnick interviews that took months to come to fruition?

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:08 am

We should take shifts listening. My Spanish isn't very good. I have heard this guy talking about Bally Sports & Kirk Gibson.

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:15 am

C'mon, Martin. Since you're tweeting for Ron, stop the suspense & let us know what, if anything, is happening today. I can't put off my next patient's brain surgery much longer.

sparty89

Post by sparty89 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:40 am

The show's twitter account just posted this:

Hi Friend,

I'm going to call in on my producer show at 1pm e.t. and try to get on the airwaves to let you know what's going on with "Sports talk".

Thank you for your support!

Listen Live

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:46 am

Thanks for the update!

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:58 am

sparty89 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:40 am
The show's twitter account just posted this:

Hi Friend,

I'm going to call in on my producer show at 1pm e.t. and try to get on the airwaves to let you know what's going on with "Sports talk".

Thank you for your support!

Listen Live
I’m probably gonna miss this announcement, so I will, as always rely on the BuzzBoard to give me the info.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:52 pm

I think the announcement may break the internet!

Since that’s how most of us listen :)

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:01 pm

Other then hearing how a reverse mortgage could help no new updated news yet

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic