Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Bobbert

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Bobbert » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:23 am

Picked up the baseball preview issue of USA Today Sports Weekly yesterday. I have to credit Ron with turning me on to that publication as a good source of weekly information about sports. Just wished he had made more use of it, instead of talking about the same topics over and over.

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:14 am

While his burial disposition remained outstanding (&, for all we know, may still now), I wonder if Ron chalked it up to there not being anyone who wants to work anymore. Something about extended unemployment benefits.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:45 pm

Momo wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:14 am
While his burial disposition remained outstanding (&, for all we know, may still now), I wonder if Ron chalked it up to there not being anyone who wants to work anymore. Something about extended unemployment benefits.
The fate of his corpse seems to be in the hands of government employees who, in my experience, have varying levels of self-motivation to get a job done.

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:48 pm

Ron's post-death history may form the basis for the long-imagined Ron Cameron: The Musical, a repository for the many satirical numbers this thread has spawned.
When the composer David Yazbek approached his “Band’s Visit” collaborator David Cromer in 2019 about directing “Dead Outlaw,” a high-energy song cycle that he was developing into a musical, Cromer wasn’t sure he was the right fit.

“One of the first things he said was ‘I don’t tend to go out just to hear music; I want more than that,’” said Yazbek, who envisioned a show with an onstage band, interstitial narration and a minimal set. “‘And so maybe I’m the wrong person for this.’”

“No, no, no,” Yazbek reassured him. “That makes you the right person. We’ve already got the rock-band-sounding-great part nailed down.”

Unlike “The Band’s Visit,” the gently comic, Tony Award-winning tale about an Egyptian band stranded in an Israeli town that takes place over a single night, “Dead Outlaw” is a rollicking thrill ride about a bumbling turn-of-the-20th-century outlaw whose body becomes a traveling, decades-long sideshow exhibited across the country.

It also happens to be true.

“It’s what I’ve been calling documentary musical theater,” Itamar Moses, who wrote the books for “The Band’s Visit” and “Dead Outlaw,” said over dinner in Greenwich Village with Yazbek, Cromer and Erik Della Penna, who wrote the music and lyrics for “Dead Outlaw” with Yazbek.

The rockabilly musical, which is scheduled to run through April 14 at Audible’s Minetta Lane Theater in Greenwich Village, tracks the ineffectual, booze-filled career and subsequent death, in a 1911 shootout, of Elmer McCurdy, whose involuntary second act has inspired books, plays and a BBC documentary.

Yazbek, who conceived of the musical, first heard the tale three decades ago from a college friend whose mother had told him the story of when Elmer’s arsenic-preserved body — painted bright red and dangling from a noose — was discovered inside a Southern California amusement park ride in 1976.

The corpse had been presumed to be a mannequin — until the TV series “The Six Million Dollar Man” came to shoot an episode at the ride, and a crew member discovered otherwise.

“This is a man!” the freaked-out Teamster exclaims in “Dead Outlaw.”

“I said, ‘I’ve got to do something with this,’” said Yazbek, who pored over newspaper articles about Elmer on microfiche at the New York Public Library’s Bryant Park branch. “But I could never find a way in.”

In 2017, he and Della Penna, a longtime friend, began working on a country-, rock- and bluegrass-inflected song cycle, recording demos of numbers including “Dead,” the foot-stomping tune that introduces Elmer’s life of crime; “Normal,” about Elmer’s desire to leave his grudges in the past and settle down with a local girl; and “Leave Me Be,” Elmer’s last words as he lies dying after being shot.

They enlisted Moses to write the book, which Yazbek said was initially a few lines of narration between numbers — just enough, he added, to transport people from setting to setting.

In September 2021, accompanied by three other musicians, he and Della Penna performed the musical-in-progress at the Midtown cabaret space 54 Below, with Yazbek reading Moses’s narrative additions.

That’s where the project caught the attention of Kate Navin, who was then the head of the audio entertainment company Audible’s theater division. Audible had produced and recorded more than 75 shows at the Minetta Lane Theater since 2018 — including Billy Crudup in David Cale’s one-man thriller “Harry Clarke” and Carey Mulligan in Dennis Kelly’s solo drama “Girls & Boys” — but had never presented a musical.

For the show’s concert-style storytelling, eight actors (including Durand, center) conjure several dozen characters on a minimal set that makes the five-member band the focal point onstage.Credit...Sara Krulwich/The New York Times
“True crime is a genre that’s incredibly popular in the audio industry,” Navin, who now leads Audible’s creative development in North America, said in a phone conversation. “And the narration is why this musical works so well in audio. It seemed like the perfect fit.”

She commissioned the team to finish writing the show, and, in April 2022, Yazbek and Della Penna traveled to Guthrie, Okla., where Elmer is buried.

There, they interviewed a historian who had helped piece together the facts of Elmer’s story, saw the gun that killed Elmer at the Oklahoma Territorial Museum, and visited his hillside grave. They also drove to the nearby city of Pawhuska, where Elmer’s body was initially displayed at a funeral home.

Last summer, with the research completed, Audible committed to producing “Dead Outlaw” for the stage — and Cromer signed on to direct.

“One of the first images we had was people sitting around a campfire,” Moses said of their vision for the show. “And we wanted to preserve that.”

Cromer also aimed for a minimalist production.

“The challenge became how little we could flesh it out,” he said of the staged concert-style storytelling, in which eight actors conjure several dozen characters amid simple props — a table, a mummy — and occasionally climb atop a large plywood unit on casters. The five-member band always remains the focal point onstage.

Of course, for an audio musical, they would need to paint a whole Western landscape aurally, which meant giving the audience some additional cues, Navin said.

“It was thinking about: Is there information the audience needs to know that normally they saw?” said Navin, adding that she and the creators tweaked the script in preparation for this month’s recording of the show in the studio. “Do you need to say somebody’s name again so you know who’s just come into the house?”

For Moses, the audio musical format was crucial to cracking a script he had been struggling with. Instead of first writing a script for the staged version and then retrofitting it for audio, he decided to write a single script: The version for a show someone would only listen to.

“It turns out to pretty much work that way,” he said, “except you need a little less of the explanation.”

That’s not to say the stage musical is a carbon copy of the audio production. Theatergoers are treated to the sight of a tender dance between Elmer (Andrew Durand) and the spunky Maggie (Julia Knitel); Durand’s unnerving turn as Elmer’s corpse, propped upright in a coffin, blinking exactly never; and a macabre foam and papier-mâché prop mummy laid out on a coroner’s table.

One strength of the narration-heavy format, though, is that the audience can absorb the full force of each shocking detail, Moses said. “This seems the time to remind you that this story is true,” the bandleader, Jeb Brown, tells the audience during one particularly outlandish sequence.

And he’s right — mostly.

While a number of elements of Elmer’s life were compressed and conflated for the stage — Elmer actually committed robberies with two different gangs, versus the single one in “Dead Outlaw,” for instance — all the major beats of the story are true.

“There’s not a lot of invention,” Moses said.

The most difficult challenge, he said, was perhaps the tone: striking the right balance between comedy, tragedy and a reminder that, eventually, death comes for us all.

“The story is macabre, and you sort of need people laughing to get through it,” he said. “But you also don’t want to let them completely off the hook from contending with the show’s darker themes.”

In her review for The New York Times, Laura Collins-Hughes commended the musical for striking that balance: “If it forgot Elmer’s humanity — and it never does — it would lose its soul.”

“It’s a fun, interesting mirror of what those sideshows are doing,” Moses added. “You draw people in, you entertain them, but then you give them access to thinking about something deeper and more troubling.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/20/thea ... dible.html

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:55 am

A snowy Friday morning like today reminds me of many past episodes of SportsTalk with Ron Cameron. The flakes are falling, the roads are a mess, and if, and I do mean IF, Ron would make it into the studio (even if a few minutes late), it was always easy for me to pour another cup of coffee and lay low with a couple hours of SportsTalk.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:21 am

Momo wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:48 pm
Ron's post-death history may form the basis for the long-imagined Ron Cameron: The Musical, a repository for the many satirical numbers this thread has spawned.
When the composer David Yazbek approached his “Band’s Visit” collaborator David Cromer in 2019 about directing “Dead Outlaw,” a high-energy song cycle that he was developing into a musical, Cromer wasn’t sure he was the right fit.

“One of the first things he said was ‘I don’t tend to go out just to hear music; I want more than that,’” said Yazbek, who envisioned a show with an onstage band, interstitial narration and a minimal set. “‘And so maybe I’m the wrong person for this.’”

“No, no, no,” Yazbek reassured him. “That makes you the right person. We’ve already got the rock-band-sounding-great part nailed down.”

Unlike “The Band’s Visit,” the gently comic, Tony Award-winning tale about an Egyptian band stranded in an Israeli town that takes place over a single night, “Dead Outlaw” is a rollicking thrill ride about a bumbling turn-of-the-20th-century outlaw whose body becomes a traveling, decades-long sideshow exhibited across the country.

It also happens to be true.

“It’s what I’ve been calling documentary musical theater,” Itamar Moses, who wrote the books for “The Band’s Visit” and “Dead Outlaw,” said over dinner in Greenwich Village with Yazbek, Cromer and Erik Della Penna, who wrote the music and lyrics for “Dead Outlaw” with Yazbek.

The rockabilly musical, which is scheduled to run through April 14 at Audible’s Minetta Lane Theater in Greenwich Village, tracks the ineffectual, booze-filled career and subsequent death, in a 1911 shootout, of Elmer McCurdy, whose involuntary second act has inspired books, plays and a BBC documentary.

Yazbek, who conceived of the musical, first heard the tale three decades ago from a college friend whose mother had told him the story of when Elmer’s arsenic-preserved body — painted bright red and dangling from a noose — was discovered inside a Southern California amusement park ride in 1976.

The corpse had been presumed to be a mannequin — until the TV series “The Six Million Dollar Man” came to shoot an episode at the ride, and a crew member discovered otherwise.

“This is a man!” the freaked-out Teamster exclaims in “Dead Outlaw.”

“I said, ‘I’ve got to do something with this,’” said Yazbek, who pored over newspaper articles about Elmer on microfiche at the New York Public Library’s Bryant Park branch. “But I could never find a way in.”

In 2017, he and Della Penna, a longtime friend, began working on a country-, rock- and bluegrass-inflected song cycle, recording demos of numbers including “Dead,” the foot-stomping tune that introduces Elmer’s life of crime; “Normal,” about Elmer’s desire to leave his grudges in the past and settle down with a local girl; and “Leave Me Be,” Elmer’s last words as he lies dying after being shot.

They enlisted Moses to write the book, which Yazbek said was initially a few lines of narration between numbers — just enough, he added, to transport people from setting to setting.

In September 2021, accompanied by three other musicians, he and Della Penna performed the musical-in-progress at the Midtown cabaret space 54 Below, with Yazbek reading Moses’s narrative additions.

That’s where the project caught the attention of Kate Navin, who was then the head of the audio entertainment company Audible’s theater division. Audible had produced and recorded more than 75 shows at the Minetta Lane Theater since 2018 — including Billy Crudup in David Cale’s one-man thriller “Harry Clarke” and Carey Mulligan in Dennis Kelly’s solo drama “Girls & Boys” — but had never presented a musical.

For the show’s concert-style storytelling, eight actors (including Durand, center) conjure several dozen characters on a minimal set that makes the five-member band the focal point onstage.Credit...Sara Krulwich/The New York Times
“True crime is a genre that’s incredibly popular in the audio industry,” Navin, who now leads Audible’s creative development in North America, said in a phone conversation. “And the narration is why this musical works so well in audio. It seemed like the perfect fit.”

She commissioned the team to finish writing the show, and, in April 2022, Yazbek and Della Penna traveled to Guthrie, Okla., where Elmer is buried.

There, they interviewed a historian who had helped piece together the facts of Elmer’s story, saw the gun that killed Elmer at the Oklahoma Territorial Museum, and visited his hillside grave. They also drove to the nearby city of Pawhuska, where Elmer’s body was initially displayed at a funeral home.

Last summer, with the research completed, Audible committed to producing “Dead Outlaw” for the stage — and Cromer signed on to direct.

“One of the first images we had was people sitting around a campfire,” Moses said of their vision for the show. “And we wanted to preserve that.”

Cromer also aimed for a minimalist production.

“The challenge became how little we could flesh it out,” he said of the staged concert-style storytelling, in which eight actors conjure several dozen characters amid simple props — a table, a mummy — and occasionally climb atop a large plywood unit on casters. The five-member band always remains the focal point onstage.

Of course, for an audio musical, they would need to paint a whole Western landscape aurally, which meant giving the audience some additional cues, Navin said.

“It was thinking about: Is there information the audience needs to know that normally they saw?” said Navin, adding that she and the creators tweaked the script in preparation for this month’s recording of the show in the studio. “Do you need to say somebody’s name again so you know who’s just come into the house?”

For Moses, the audio musical format was crucial to cracking a script he had been struggling with. Instead of first writing a script for the staged version and then retrofitting it for audio, he decided to write a single script: The version for a show someone would only listen to.

“It turns out to pretty much work that way,” he said, “except you need a little less of the explanation.”

That’s not to say the stage musical is a carbon copy of the audio production. Theatergoers are treated to the sight of a tender dance between Elmer (Andrew Durand) and the spunky Maggie (Julia Knitel); Durand’s unnerving turn as Elmer’s corpse, propped upright in a coffin, blinking exactly never; and a macabre foam and papier-mâché prop mummy laid out on a coroner’s table.

One strength of the narration-heavy format, though, is that the audience can absorb the full force of each shocking detail, Moses said. “This seems the time to remind you that this story is true,” the bandleader, Jeb Brown, tells the audience during one particularly outlandish sequence.

And he’s right — mostly.

While a number of elements of Elmer’s life were compressed and conflated for the stage — Elmer actually committed robberies with two different gangs, versus the single one in “Dead Outlaw,” for instance — all the major beats of the story are true.

“There’s not a lot of invention,” Moses said.

The most difficult challenge, he said, was perhaps the tone: striking the right balance between comedy, tragedy and a reminder that, eventually, death comes for us all.

“The story is macabre, and you sort of need people laughing to get through it,” he said. “But you also don’t want to let them completely off the hook from contending with the show’s darker themes.”

In her review for The New York Times, Laura Collins-Hughes commended the musical for striking that balance: “If it forgot Elmer’s humanity — and it never does — it would lose its soul.”

“It’s a fun, interesting mirror of what those sideshows are doing,” Moses added. “You draw people in, you entertain them, but then you give them access to thinking about something deeper and more troubling.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/20/thea ... dible.html
A creative work about Ron's life could go in so many directions: musical parody, absurdist comedy, a Death of a Salesman-type tragedy. The differences between Ron's on-air and off-air personalities that Mr. Positive mentioned on the tribute show would also be a big part of the story. A movie version could show the last days of his life, in his lonely motel room, reflecting on things that are shown in flashback.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:23 am

uncleb67 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:55 am
A snowy Friday morning like today reminds me of many past episodes of SportsTalk with Ron Cameron. The flakes are falling, the roads are a mess, and if, and I do mean IF, Ron would make it into the studio (even if a few minutes late), it was always easy for me to pour another cup of coffee and lay low with a couple hours of SportsTalk.
I also thought about Ron this morning, when I bought a copy of the Detroit News and didn't find a story about Oakland University's big win last night, which ended before 10 o'clock. The lack of game scores in the daily Detroit papers always annoyed Ron.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:38 pm

Momo wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:55 pm
Greg Kampe's only been the coach for 38 years. Maybe in a few years Ron will meet him.
After last night's big win by Oakland University, I wondered if Ron ever met or interviewed the coach Greg Kampe. It doesn't look like he did, from this post from two years ago.

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:16 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:38 pm
Momo wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:55 pm
Greg Kampe's only been the coach for 38 years. Maybe in a few years Ron will meet him.
After last night's big win by Oakland University, I wondered if Ron ever met or interviewed the coach Greg Kampe. It doesn't look like he did, from this post from two years ago.
That was one example of so many local sports figures, e.g., Don Canham, Flip Saunders, that, surprisingly, Ron had not encountered in his many years in the Detroit sports media. And their numbers made his Erik Spoelstra story so dubious.

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:48 pm

Ron on the Princess of Wales: "I don't know her; I never met her."

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:21 pm

Just a guess, but I think Gregg Kampe would be in Rons “good man” club

sparty89

Post by sparty89 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:13 am

radiofan1974 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:21 pm
Just a guess, but I think Gregg Kampe would be in Rons “good man” club
Either that or "I never met him."

Rm04111234

Post by Rm04111234 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:45 am

Momo wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:53 am
Majik wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:28 am
Bobbert wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:22 am
In yesterday's Detroit News, Lynn Henning was channeling Ron in an article about Ryan Garko, vice president of Tigers development:
Credit goes to Al Avila, the previous Tigers general manager, for recognizing the Tigers were a few eons behind too many other MLB teams when it came to grooming players. Avila knew science and technology, biomechanics, nutrition, strength and conditioning — even psychology — had become indispensable as baseball’s best clubs worked to gain an edge on the competition.

Credit also Chris Ilitch for approving many millions of dollars in allowing Avila to take those first steps in bringing the Tigers into baseball’s 21st century.

Avila hired Garko.
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 971775007/
So when does the statute of exaltations expire on Avila?
Not until he's relieved of his short-order cook duties at Denny's ... near the airport.
Momo - I am most happy to report Al is doing quite well at Denny's; he created a new green eggs, ham, and chives omelet for Saint Patrick's day and has the customers humming with excitement as he regularly comes out of the kitchen to speak to patrons on how he took the Tigers from a playoff contender to a hundred loss club during his tenure. Ron would be so proud of his historic achievements then and now!

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:47 am

uncleb67 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:55 am
It became a routine for so many of us. Especially when he was on Saturday and Sunday afternoons

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:59 am

I'll miss the superb audio engineering during Ron's show on WPON.

I found the loud AC hum that nearly drowned out his voice whenever he was on mic to be very soothing!
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic