Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Momo

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Momo » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:43 pm

Ron's friend Ty Cobb on a 1955 episode of I've Got a Secret:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T5UNeByuJE

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:46 pm

Three other HOFers, Dazzy Vance, Jimmy Foxx & Cy Young, on another 1955 episode of I've Got a Secret:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2fQpUMPZgY&t=1242s

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:32 pm

Last week, Ron was dismissive of ESPN's low (24th) ranking of the Tigers the farm system rankings as, in effect, just one man's opinion. Now, we have yet another voice weighing in. Baseball America's just-released organization rankings has the Tigers with the 27th worst farm system. The good news is that BA has the Royals dead last.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:05 pm

Momo wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:32 pm
Last week, Ron was dismissive of ESPN's low (24th) ranking of the Tigers the farm system rankings as, in effect, just one man's opinion. Now, we have yet another voice weighing in. Baseball America's just-released organization rankings has the Tigers with the 27th worst farm system. The good news is that BA has the Royals dead last.
And as you Know Ron will argue, non of it is al availa’s fault especially that crop of players he hauled in from past trades of price, verlander and JD Martinez

edj

Post by edj » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:26 pm

But I thought Avila rebuilt the farm system?

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:06 pm

Momo wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:32 pm
Ron should get Lynn Henning of the Detroit News on his show. In Lynn's eyes, any Tiger minor leaguer with a heartbeat is destined for stardom.

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:45 pm

With Roberta Jasina's recent departure from WWJ, we can expect another round of "how brutal" the local broadcsting business is & how the powers that be don't want to pay for top talent. Interesting that "owner" Ron, who hasn't been a broadcast employee in decades, would associate himself with talent like Jasina. And, as a supporter of management & a constant critic of pro athletes earning what the market will bear, it's curious that Ron would take up the cause of "fellow" broadcasters against management. No little mind he, Ron must subscribe to the philosophy that a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.

edj

Post by edj » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:58 pm

Ron will say something like “never met her”. His focus will be on Combero sitting more and not hitting for power when he plays, Al Avila made great signings and rebuilt the farm system, Pistons should have drafted Haliburton, players make too much money and the owners are going broke, he knew Ty Cobb, you know the usual stuff he drones on about. Thankfully Alex is the announced guest so we can get some interesting perspectives on current day sports including college.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:52 am

Momo wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:45 pm
With Roberta Jasina's recent departure from WWJ, we can expect another round of "how brutal" the local broadcsting business is & how the powers that be don't want to pay for top talent. Interesting that "owner" Ron, who hasn't been a broadcast employee in decades, would associate himself with talent like Jasina. And, as a supporter of management & a constant critic of pro athletes earning what the market will bear, it's curious that Ron would take up the cause of "fellow" broadcasters against management. No little mind he, Ron must subscribe to the philosophy that a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
If he does, he'll probably say, "That's why I'm my own boss, so that nobody could fire me when I'm 68."

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:29 am

Good morning everyone,

As we get ever closer to the ending of the “Sunday night” era for sports talk with only one more Sunday, until we move to the action packed fall Saturday/Sunday show here are some thoughts for tonight

Tonight’s guest “old producer Alex” topics are wrap up of baseball and upcoming football season. Alex does a great job keeping Ron on tack and talking about the topic the best he can-wish I was listening when Alex worked with Ron, I bet those were good shows!

Alex a few questions for you to maybe discuss tonight -Lions any players on each side of the ball that you or he are expecting big season out of.

Do you have any sleeper picks in camp so far, I believe Ron said he does not watch preseason

Back up QB do you feel they should upgrade as camp closes in case Geoff gets hurt or do you for this season role with it

Are you both sharing the same confidence many are in the lions running game?

If you guys get into the college football game, thoughts on the season for both MSU and UofM

Baseball I don’t have much to say Availa, put this team in a bad spot but Ron thinks he is the best ever and would rather blame Tigers PR and there tv and radio crew, it’s such a broken record with Ron. It worth talking about it. Miguel Cabrera or also known as “combero” per caller Windsor Dave is not going anywhere next year. He will be on the roster and Ron just won’t get that

Also if you ask questions via the buzzboard, please be carefull on where you say these questions come from, as you know the buzzboard as of late is enemy number 1 and we would hate for you to get
In hot water

Are you on whole show or two hours?

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:54 am

radiofan1974 wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:29 am
Tonight’s guest “old producer Alex” topics are wrap up of baseball and upcoming football season. Alex does a great job keeping Ron on tack and talking about the topic the best he can-wish I was listening when Alex worked with Ron, I bet those were good shows!
Here's one of them (Hours 1 and 2 of Ron's show on Saturday, January 7, 2017)

https://www.detroitmoviepalaces.com/ima ... 010717.mp3

Back in 2017, I downloaded a bunch of Ron's shows, mostly to get a copy of some of his interviews. One of the former regular callers kicks off the first hour—J.J. from Lincoln Park. The late great Ken from Livonia also makes an appearance in the first hour.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:12 am

Bobbert wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:54 am
[quote=radiofan1974 post_id=708924 time=<a href="tel:1661081340">1661081340</a> user_id=15459]
Here's one of them (Hours 1 and 2 of Ron's show on Saturday, January 7, 2017)

Back in 2017, I downloaded a bunch of Ron's shows, mostly to get a copy of some of his interviews. One of the former regular callers kicks off the first hour—J.J. from Lincoln Park. The late great Ken from Livonia also makes an appearance in the first hour.
[/quote]

Thanks, Bobbert! I’m looking forward to listening, again, to these two vintage hours, & some of Ron’s gone or missing callers. I remember Ken’s “real quick” tic, something that Mr. Positive has since made his own.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:41 pm

Observations from two hours in the wayback machine, courtesy of Bobbert. Jeff from Ferndale is another once-familiar voice who I don't recall hearing from in some time (he also emailed in the second hour). No Kurt in the first hour, leading me to think that the Kurt era had yet to begin. But Kurt called in the middle of the seond hour to talk to then-Tigers minor league hitting instructor, Bruce Fields. As always, Ron led the guest interview with how he & the Fields first met (later adding that he had taken him to dinner a couple of times). The hitting prospects discussed were Steven Moya, Anthony Gose, Tyler Collins, Christin Stewart, Michael Gerber, Derek Hill, Will Maddox, Cam Gibson & JaCoby Jones. Yeah, pretty depressing history of developing MLB bats.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:38 pm

Momo wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:41 pm
Observations from two hours in the wayback machine, courtesy of Bobbert. Jeff from Ferndale is another once-familiar voice who I don't recall hearing from in some time (he also emailed in the second hour). No Kurt in the first hour, leading me to think that the Kurt era had yet to begin. But Kurt called in the middle of the second hour to talk to then-Tigers minor league hitting instructor, Bruce Fields. As always, Ron led the guest interview with how he & the Fields first met (later adding that he had taken him to dinner a couple of times). The hitting prospects discussed were Steven Moya, Anthony Gose, Tyler Collins, Christin Stewart, Michael Gerber, Derek Hill, Will Maddox, Cam Gibson & JaCoby Jones. Yeah, pretty depressing history of developing MLB bats.
Yeah, those old shows are fun to listen to because you know "the rest of the story." Great observations about the Tiger minor league hitters. I'd forgotten about the two Red Wings who were so highly regarded and now have faded into the past (Mantha and Athanasiou).

I'll try to post some more shows, ones that broadcast after a big news event or with a particular guest.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:03 pm

Momo wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:41 pm
Observations from two hours in the wayback machine, courtesy of Bobbert. Jeff from Ferndale is another once-familiar voice who I don't recall hearing from in some time (he also emailed in the second hour). No Kurt in the first hour, leading me to think that the Kurt era had yet to begin. But Kurt called in the middle of the seond hour to talk to then-Tigers minor league hitting instructor, Bruce Fields. As always, Ron led the guest interview with how he & the Fields first met (later adding that he had taken him to dinner a couple of times). The hitting prospects discussed were Steven Moya, Anthony Gose, Tyler Collins, Christin Stewart, Michael Gerber, Derek Hill, Will Maddox, Cam Gibson & JaCoby Jones. Yeah, pretty depressing history of developing MLB bats.
Wow what a throw back in times, i listened to a bit of it as well. interesting hearing the ads he was working with back then

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic