Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Bobbert

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Bobbert » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:26 am

Wish list for Friday:
  • Guest appearances by at least Bob Page and Alex Alway.
  • Calls from as many regulars as possible.
  • It wouldn't be a Ron Cameron show without ads, so recordings of Ron reading ads for his most enduring sponsors—Fenton Hotel and Southfield Ram's Horn.
  • Some kind of montage of Ron, including favorite jokes, cliches, and angry outbursts.
  • Some acknowledgment of the Buzzboard. Sure we made fun of him, but we also promoted his show and made him more famous. Some of us called and some of us patronized his sponsors. And we created a Wikipedia page that was used to write the Free Press article that announced Ron's death to much of the world.
  • News that Ron has found a final resting place.
Last edited by Bobbert on Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:13 am

Bobbert wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:40 am
Friday night, when I was trying to process the news of Ron's death
Since I can no longer think of the JFK assassination without thinking of Ron's "involvement," as I process Ron's passing I think of the conversation a Kennedy administration official - & future Senator - Daniel Patrick Moynihan had with journalist Mary McGrory in the immediate aftermath of Dallas:

“Mary McGrory said to me that we'll never laugh again. And I said, 'Heavens, Mary. We'll laugh again. It's just that we'll never be young again.'”

Ron's insistence on living in the past brought his "fans" along with him on a journey to a time long, long ago, when we were all young.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:19 am

Momo wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:13 am
Bobbert wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:40 am
Friday night, when I was trying to process the news of Ron's death
Since I can no longer think of the JFK assassination without thinking of Ron's "involvement," as I process Ron's passing I think of the conversation a Kennedy administration official - & future Senator - Daniel Patrick Moynihan had with journalist Mary McGrory in the immediate aftermath of Dallas:

“Mary McGrory said to me that we'll never laugh again. And I said, 'Heavens, Mary. We'll laugh again. It's just that we'll never be young again.'”

Ron's insistence on living in the past brought his "fans" along with him on a journey to a time long, long ago, when we were all young.
I can relate to that. There are so many associations. My first full summer in Michigan was 1978 when I discovered him on TV and saw him during my first visit to Tiger Stadium. The last thing I did in that amazing year of 1984 was visit Ron's bar on Grand River in Detroit. Running into him at one of my old Telegraph Road hangouts (the Ram's Horn at Plymouth) around 1990. Daily jokes about him with a co-worker in the late 1980's.

Majik

Post by Majik » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:24 am

Bobbert wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:26 am
Wish list for Friday:
  • It wouldn't be a Ron Cameron show without ads, so recordings of Ron reading ads for his most enduring sponsors—Fenton Hotel and Southfield Ram's Horn.
  • Some kind of montage of Ron, including favorite jokes, cliches, and angry outbursts.
  • Some acknowledgment of the Buzzboard. Sure we made fun of him, but we also promoted his show and made him more famous. Some of us called and some of us patronized his sponsors. And we created a Wikipedia page that was used to write the Free Press article that announced Ron's death to much of the world.
Add to this wish list:
A montage of Ron’s various coughs, sniffling, burps, wheezing into the mic, and maybe a reference to the WDTK restroom incident.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:31 am

Bobbert wrote:
Wish list for Friday:
This would be a great lineup on Friday, if this was to happen!

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:02 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Wish list for Friday:
I'm not expecting a Ron-like Christmas spectacular, but something approximating this would be nice.

I would expect Kurt to offer some perfunctory words about Ron before he turned to the '24 Tigers.

A nod to us would be appreciated ... & not just from Mr. Positive. I dare say that there would be no final show but for Ron's enormous "popularity" here.

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:51 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Wish list for Friday:
I hope that Denny, & Ray, who was mentioned as a possible guest for the next show that was never to be, are included. It would be rich if Mark Wilson was able get up early enough to call-in, too. It's distinctly possible that I may have missed it, but has Mark made any comment about Ron's death?

As for the regular callers, I hope Keith calls in to continue his campaign to retire Federov's jersey.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:07 pm

Two interviews that I enjoyed was Ray Scott and boxing’s Frank Garza. Did not know really much about Ray Scott and he would really add to interviews and I am not a big boxing fan and I thought Frank also added good insight when talking to Ron

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:59 pm

Majik wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:24 am
Bobbert wrote:
Wish list for Friday:
Add to this wish list:
A montage of Ron’s various coughs, sniffling, burps, wheezing into the mic, and maybe a reference to the WDTK restroom incident.
Ron's catalog of sounds rivaled the sound effects library for the Three Stooges.

One of the few things that made me regret getting a good pair of Logitech headphones. His whistling was pretty painful.

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:58 pm

I hope Martin starts the show with Ron saying, “I hear an echo.”

Majik

Post by Majik » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:58 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:59 pm
Majik wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:24 am
Bobbert wrote:
Wish list for Friday:
Add to this wish list:
Ron's catalog of sounds rivaled the sound effects library for the Three Stooges.

One of the few things that made me regret getting a good pair of Logitech headphones. His whistling was pretty painful.
Anyone here recall ever hearing Ron laugh. I can’t remember if that ever occurred on air. It must have at some point. Nothing jumps into my mind on that. I’m sure he thought he was funny but nobody else was. Can anyone enlighten me.

ShempLives

Post by ShempLives » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:00 pm

Regarding the tribute show: In the spirit of certain transmissions of Ron, a "bathroom break" with the producer playing recorded music while the host relieves himself, as was the case on January 16, 2021 and May 22, 2022. (Best of luck Martin, I'm confident a fine show will broadcast on March 1st.)

ShempLives

Post by ShempLives » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:03 pm

I too felt that at times Ron was laughing a little too hard.

edj

Post by edj » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:42 am

WPON has been airing promos about the tribute show tomorrow. It will be open line.

Rm0411

Post by Rm0411 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:41 am

Momo wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:51 pm
Bobbert wrote:
Wish list for Friday:
I hope that Denny, & Ray, who was mentioned as a possible guest for the next show that was never to be, are included. It would be rich if Mark Wilson was able get up early enough to call-in, too. It's distinctly possible that I may have missed it, but has Mark made any comment about Ron's death?

As for the regular callers, I hope Keith calls in to continue his campaign to retire Federov's jersey.
I did contact Bob Page about calling into the show and he respectively declined. He said he would take up far too much time recounting Ron stories and that some of them would NOT be nice.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic